EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

UY Book 22: Tomoe's Story

A moderated forum where Stan Sakai and the UYD Shogunate regularly post UY-related news, comic con and signing info, Dojo contest info, and special announcements to UYD Members.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, digulla, Moderators

UY Book 22: Tomoe's Story

Postby Todd Shogun » Mon Nov 12, 2007 20:39 +0000

I posted the cover painting for UY Book 22: Tomoe's Story over at the Coming Up section. It's a beaut.

Stan tells me he's hoping Book 22 will be out in time for San Diego. "Diana has been pretty good about having a new Usagi book or product for the con," he says.

UY Book 22 will start off with reprints of UY Color Specials 1-3 from Fantagraphics, which will be re-worked a bit for publication in black-and-white. When asked if he plans to update the art beyond the usual treatment of filling in with black to add depth where the color once did, such as character updates (on Tomoe Ame for example), he doesn't plan to due to time constraints.

The volume goes on to reprint the DH issues 90-93, in which savvy UY readers will be able to catch the subtle Usagi/Tomoe romance taking place "between the pages", all leading up to that classic moment in 93, "Chanoyu". :wink:

http://usagiyojimbo.com/comingup.html#uybk22
Order your UYD Albedo NR 2 T-Shirt today! Only $12!

Todd Shogun
Shogun

Postby Ben » Mon Nov 12, 2007 21:29 +0000

I'm a little interested to see how the volumes following 22 will be organized. Presumably, vol. 23 will cover the Mayumi/Shizukiri story arc (#94-102), with vol. 24 reprinting Jei's epic return (#103-109).

I'm not sure where they'll put #100, seeing as how it's not exactly canon... :lol:
Ben
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby Stan Sakai » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:51 +0000

Ben wrote:
I'm not sure where they'll put #100, seeing as how it's not exactly canon... :lol:

We're still debating whether to reprint UY 100. Editor Diana is thinking we should, as an appendix at the end of UY Book 23.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby morna-san » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:20 +0000

that would work! I'd hate for Guy's awesome bit not to make it in - I love that thing.
I love him when he's pissed off

morna-san
Shinobi<Special Ninja Agent>

Postby Todd Shogun » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:16 +0000

Stan Sakai wrote:We're still debating whether to reprint UY 100. Editor Diana is thinking we should, as an appendix at the end of UY Book 23.

Why not let the fans influence the decision? I for one vote in favor of reprinting UY 100 in both the hardcover and softcover versions of UY Book 23. That way all of the great work everyone put into it will always be available as long as the UY collections are still being published.

Was any thought ever given to expanding on the story in UY 100 a bit more, as a special treat for purchasers of UY Book 23? Maybe getting a few more creators to add pieces to it? Wouldn't mind seeing folks like Peter Laird and Kevin Eastman contributing something. Speaking of whom, were these guys ever invited to contribute to UY 100? While I'm not a huge proponent of the Usagi/TMNT crossovers, it almost seemed a sure thing, given Usagi's historical relationship with the TMNT, and yours with its creators. Another creator missing from the roster is Steve Gallacci, but then he is MIA all around...

Todd Shogun
Shogun

Postby TnT » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:50 +0000

Hmm, I think I would vote against including the material.

I like to read the TPB as books - as a complete story. And, much as I enjoyed issue 100 - it was not part of the story.

JMHO
TnT

Postby Stan Sakai » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:31 +0000

Todd Shogun wrote:
Why not let the fans influence the decision? I for one vote in favor of reprinting UY 100 in both the hardcover and softcover versions of UY Book 23. That way all of the great work everyone put into it will always be available as long as the UY collections are still being published.

Was any thought ever given to expanding on the story in UY 100 a bit more, as a special treat for purchasers of UY Book 23? Maybe getting a few more creators to add pieces to it? Wouldn't mind seeing folks like Peter Laird and Kevin Eastman contributing something. Speaking of whom, were these guys ever invited to contribute to UY 100? While I'm not a huge proponent of the Usagi/TMNT crossovers, it almost seemed a sure thing, given Usagi's historical relationship with the TMNT, and yours with its creators. Another creator missing from the roster is Steve Gallacci, but then he is MIA all around...

If it is in the trade, it will also be in the HC, and vice versa. I don't know who Diana invited to particaipate, but, due to the limitations of page count, we could not have too many. I doubt we will expand on the story. But, we still more than a year to think about it.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby Stan Sakai » Tue Nov 13, 2007 19:39 +0000

Book 23 also has the question of which ending should we use--the one that was published in the comic or the one published in the sketchbook or even both.

As I said, we have more than a year to decide. We've got to put Book 22 to bed first.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby chickrockguitar » Fri Nov 16, 2007 14:10 +0000

Can't wait for 22!

And Stan, for 23, I vote BOTH endings! Hehe.
-ChickRockGuitar ..aka.. Alex
chickrockguitar

Postby Todd Shogun » Wed Jan 23, 2008 14:24 +0000

Added tip-in artwork for UY Book 22...amazing!

Only one will be used...which should it be?

Todd Shogun
Shogun

Postby Ben » Wed Jan 23, 2008 14:28 +0000

Todd Shogun wrote:Added tip-in artwork for UY Book 22...amazing!

Only one will be used...which should it be?

I prefer the first one, with Usagi holding a frightened Tomoe. It just feels more intimate to me.
Ben

Postby Thomas Froehling » Wed Jan 23, 2008 15:59 +0000

The tip-ins are both awesome; personally, i prefer the second one: in the first one Tomoe looks too much like a "weak and helpless woman, seeking out her strong hero" to me....
An image that I find unfitting for what we've seen of her lately.

The second one shows us an Usagi who would want to be closer to Tomoe, while they still experience the distance they have to keep because of their social status...

Haven't I seen a very similar picture of Usagi and that princess (her name was Kinoku, I think) a while ago? Was it in "Runaways" or in the TPB collecting that story?? Or even in the HC ???

I 'll have to look it up as soon as I come back home....
Last edited by Thomas Froehling on Wed Jan 23, 2008 17:43 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Greetings from overseas
Thomas Froehling

Postby runnah4life808 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 16:23 +0000

Thomas Froehling wrote:The tip-ins are both awesome; personally, i preffer the second one: in the first one Tomoe looks too much like a "weak and helpless woman, seeking out her strong hero" to me....

The second one shows us an Usagi who would want to be closer to Tomoe, while they still experience the distance they have to keep because of their social status...

Haven't I seen a very similar picture of Usagi and that princess (her name was Kinoku, I think) a while ago? Was it in "Runaways" or in the TPB collecting that story?? Or even in the HC ???

I definitely agree. I prefer the second one for the exact same reasons.
runnah4life808

Postby estee » Wed Jan 23, 2008 18:37 +0000

Thomas Froehling wrote:The tip-ins are both awesome; personally, i prefer the second one: in the first one Tomoe looks too much like a "weak and helpless woman, seeking out her strong hero" to me....

I agree as well.

And seeing Tomoe in women's clothing is always a treat. :wink:
estee

Postby morna-san » Wed Jan 23, 2008 20:26 +0000

I agree the second one is nicer. I'm finding the yellow background a little harsh. The contrast is so high between it and the blue that to me it's distracting. I'm odd that way though, most people love the yellow/blue compliment.
I love him when he's pissed off

morna-san
Shinobi<Special Ninja Agent>

Next

Return to Dojo News