EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

San Diego Con-2010

A moderated forum where Stan Sakai and the UYD Shogunate regularly post UY-related news, comic con and signing info, Dojo contest info, and special announcements to UYD Members.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, digulla, Moderators

Postby Mayhem » Sun Jan 10, 2010 17:27 +0000

I'm sure Todd will correct me as need be, but they've always stayed at smaller, cheaper places (not on the discount list) well away from the convention centre to save money.
With a breeze comes a storm, but then you'll all be washed away...
Mayhem
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby Todd Shogun » Mon Jan 11, 2010 0:46 +0000

I have stayed at the Westgate near Horton for several years now. I used to stay further away at cheaper places until I found out I get a corporate rate which makes it a bargain. I have never booked a con hotel on the 'list'.
Order your UYD Albedo NR 2 T-Shirt today! Only $12!

Todd Shogun
Shogun

Postby cynlee » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:39 +0000

Just curious. A friend of mine had a hard time last year trying to find a place that wasn't "owned" by the convention, and ended up staying in a place near Escondido.

Thankees
"Note to self-- arms are over-rated."
cynlee
Sennin <Immortal>

Postby khyron82 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 22:52 +0000

As of now, Friday memberships are at 98% sold out.
khyron82
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby Stan Sakai » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:52 +0000

Comic-con housing opens today at 9 AM Pacific Time! Good luck!

Thursday, Friday, and Saturday memberships are sold out, and Sunday is going fast!

How exciting this is!
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby Mayhem » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:10 +0000

I have to say that went a lot smoother and quicker than expected... the wait is just on to see which hotel we'll be staying in...
Mayhem

Postby Silent Phantom » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:26 +0000

Mayhem wrote:I have to say that went a lot smoother and quicker than expected... the wait is just on to see which hotel we'll be staying in...

Indeed. The site was starting to slow down right before 9AM as everyone was trying to access it at the same time. I finished my reservation by 9:05AM. I'd be curious to see what hotel everyone got in relation to their finish time.
Silent Phantom

Postby Stan Sakai » Thu Mar 18, 2010 14:15 +0000

You may have noticed the Manchester Grand Hyatt was not on the list of con hotels this year. The AHA Health Forum Leadership Summit will be taking place there the same time as Comic-con. Al Gore will be the keynote speaker. Maybe he'll make it over to the con. He does have a connection to animation: His daughter was a writer for Futurama, and he even made a cameo as one of those preserved heads.

I usually stay at the Hyatt, but had to make other arrangements.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby Mayhem » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:58 +0000

Anyone heard regarding their hotel booking yet? Not had an email and wondering...
Mayhem

Postby rs2 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 13:03 +0000

with all the craziness that seems to go on with san diego (tickets selling out ridiculously fast, hotels having to be booked via a central site, but not knowing where you'll be) nycc/big apple is going to seem like a relative oasis of calm in comparison.

okay, it's not san diego, and Stan won't be there :(
(unless of course he's got a surprise hidden up his sleeve!!)
rs2

Postby Silent Phantom » Fri Mar 19, 2010 23:21 +0000

I got an e-mail at 3PM yesterday, but didn't get any of my choices. I hear some people got one of their first few choices and finished reserving after me. I wonder if it didn't also depend on what kind of room you asked for.
Silent Phantom

Postby Stan Sakai » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:26 +0000

Silent Phantom wrote: I wonder if it didn't also depend on what kind of room you asked for.

It might also depend on how which nights you asked for. I"m usually at San Diego from Tuesday to Monday. I remember a few years ago I tried booking rooms, but Friday was sold out at all hotels and was assigned an outlying hotel. I resubmitted for all days except Friday, and was given my first choice, the Hyatt. I called the Hyatt directly, and they added Friday at the con rate. It might have helped that I have a Hyatt membership card. I also have one for the Marriott, Omni, Sheraton, Choice, and Quality. It doesn't cost anything to join or maintain, but sometimes there are perks such as a special shorter line to check in or free nights.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby Mayhem » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:48 +0000

Silent Phantom wrote:I got an e-mail at 3PM yesterday, but didn't get any of my choices. I hear some people got one of their first few choices and finished reserving after me. I wonder if it didn't also depend on what kind of room you asked for.

I did get an email eventually but saying they were still processing the hotel reservations and that I'd definitely got a room assigned to me. So which hotel that will be I have no idea yet. You might be right SP, what sort of room did you book? I went for a single room with a double bed as usual... tends to be one of the least popular probably because people want to share large rooms to cut the costs.

Here's hoping it's a hotel still on the shuttle route. I'd hate for it to be one that's miles away as we won't have a car of course...
Mayhem

Postby Silent Phantom » Sat Mar 20, 2010 15:21 +0000

Stan Sakai wrote:It might also depend on how which nights you asked for.

Good point Sensei. I went for Wednesday through Sunday, which I'm guessing is the most popular option. Thanks for the other tips as well.

Mayhem wrote:You might be right SP, what sort of room did you book?

I went for the triple rate, which is 3 people/2 beds. They probably have less rooms at this occupancy is my guess.
Silent Phantom

Postby Mayhem » Sat Mar 20, 2010 20:48 +0000

Your tale has been repeated elsewhere from threads I've been linked to... some people didn't get any hotel on their list at all, some got one somewhere near the top of their list, and a couple (like me) haven't been told where they are going to be just yet. I suspect TP don't work weekends, so they quit Friday, emailed everyone they hadn't processed by that point and told them to wait until Monday.

Quite whether I should be worried or not is a different question. My two highest ranked hotels were two of the lesser popular ones (afaik) with a room type that is less popular. We're staying Wednesday and leaving Monday. It could be that the hotel that I've got hasn't been notified of my booking yet for whatever reason and that's why the delay occurred. Trying not to worry really, but the crapshoot it appears to have been from reports so far to a degree is WORSE than the previous booking process; at least by the end of Thursday I KNEW what hotel I'd be in...
Mayhem

PreviousNext

Return to Dojo News