EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Stan Sakai @ AADL

A moderated forum where Stan Sakai and the UYD Shogunate regularly post UY-related news, comic con and signing info, Dojo contest info, and special announcements to UYD Members.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, digulla, Moderators

Stan Sakai @ AADL

Postby Steve Hubbell » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:47 +0000

Featured Events
Stan Sakai @ AADL
Don't miss Stan Sakai, the creator of Usagi Yojimbo, at a special National Library Week event at the Downtown Library on Sat., Apr. 17 at noon! Stan is the lone author and nearly-sole artist of the epic saga of Miyamoto Usagi, a samurai rabbit living 17th century Japan. The series was awarded a Parents Choice Award in 1990 for its educational value through Stan's skillful weaving of facts and legends into his work. His books will be for sale at the event, courtesy of Vault of Midnight.

Ann Arbor District Library

Meet Stan Sakai at AADL
Submitted by JennyH on Mon, 04/05/2010 - 9:10am
Usagi Yojimbo fans, take note: Stan Sakai is coming to AADL! The creator of Usagi Yojimbo, the epic saga of a samurai rabbit living in late-sixteenth and early-seventeenth-century Japan, will be at the Downtown Library on Saturday, April 17, at noon. First published in 1984, Usagi Yojimbo continues to this day, with Stan as the lone author and nearly-sole artist. This special National Library Week event includes books for sale, courtesy of Vault of Midnight, and plenty of time for Stan to answer your questions!

Last edited by Steve Hubbell on Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:09 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby Steve Hubbell » Sun Apr 18, 2010 0:38 +0000

The Ann Arbor District Library - Downtown branch

Describing the origin of the word "cartoonist"

Talking about the origin of Miyamoto Usagi

Zato Ino and his pine-scented sense of smell

Talking about working with Jeff Smith and Tom Sniegoski

Groo, Sergio, and the art of rough pencils

A demonstration on drawing thumbnails

Nemo's Day!

The truth behind the colors

Some background on character development

After the presentation, time for the books to be signed.....

All in all, I couldn't have asked for a better day! Going to see Stan's library presentation made up for having to spend 9 hours at work on my birthday after getting back into Kalamazoo.
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby Steve Hubbell » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:08 +0000

I already planned on taking my copy of The Art of Usagi Yojimbo along, but I was trying to think of something else to take along to the signing that might be a little differant. Then I remembered my copy of the Spanish edition of Riblet, a cool little 48 page square bound comic reprinting the Riblet back-up story from Bone (and in a weird kind of role reversal, a couple short Bone stories for back-up).

This great sketch by Stan was done prior to the start of his presentation, and the drawing of Riblet during the presentation.
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby Maka » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:14 +0000

Very Cool Steve!

Thanks for sharing, as always. :)

Love the Riblet sketch!

Peace, maka
Maka
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Thank you Steve

Postby go » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:34 +0000

Dear Steve,
Thank you very much for your wonderful report.
Best wishes to all!
go
go
Shinobi<Special Ninja Agent>

Postby cynlee » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:33 +0000

Nice! And it looks like a great time was had by all!
"Note to self-- arms are over-rated."
cynlee
Sennin <Immortal>

Postby shaxper » Sun Apr 18, 2010 16:55 +0000

What an experience! Your pictures and summary almost made me feel like I was there. Thanks so much!
shaxper

Postby Stan Sakai » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:56 +0000

Thanks for coming down to the presentation, Steve. I had a good time in Ann Arbor. I was also able to get some work done--roughly inked three pages in the hotel room, wrote the 2-part Taiko story on the flight over, and thumbnailed the first part on the flight back to LA.

The flight over was terrible, though. I will definitely cut down on my flying next year. Yeah, I know, I say that every year. This year is already booked up, and I've already made some commitments for 2011.

I will be at the Calgary Expo this weekend, then at Things from Another World in Universal City, CA on May 1.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby shaxper » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:31 +0000

Stan Sakai wrote:Thanks for coming down to the presentation, Steve. I had a good time in Ann Arbor. I was also able to get some work done--roughly inked three pages in the hotel room, wrote the 2-part Taiko story on the flight over, and thumbnailed the first part on the flight back to LA.

The Usagi #100 bit about you drawing with your feet while sitting at a table is starting to seem disturbingly accurate :)
shaxper

Postby Steve Hubbell » Sun May 23, 2010 1:52 +0000

Video of Stan Sakai's presentation is now online at the AADL web-site.

Alternate Formats

•Download High-Quality Version MP4, 339.82MB

•Download iPod Video MP4, 189.04 MB

•Download Audio Only MP3, 55.56 MB

Runtime: 01:13:10
Viewed 30 times.
Meet graphic novelist Stan Sakai, whose most famous creation is Usagi Yojimbo, the epic saga of Miyamoto Usagi, a samurai rabbit living in late-16th and early-17th century Japan. First published in 1984, the comic continues to this day, with Sakai as the lone author and nearly-sole artist.

Set primarily in Japan's Edo period, with anthropomorphic animals replacing humans, it features a rabbit ronin, Miyamoto Usagi, who is partially based on the famous swordsman Miyamoto Musashi. Usagi wanders the land on a warrior's pilgrimage, occasionally selling his services as a bodyguard. Usagi Yojimbo is heavily influenced by Japanese cinema and has included references to the work of Akira Kurosawa and to icons of popular Japanese cinema such as Zatoichi, and Godzilla. The series was awarded a Parents' Choice Award in 1990 for its educational value through Stan's skillful weaving of facts and legends into his work.
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby Maka » Sun May 23, 2010 20:15 +0000

Thanks Steve,

Just finished watching the video. It took all day between doing laundry, cooking, washing dishes and whatnot. Very fun to hear new and old stories. Thanks for pointing it out. Excellent.

Peace, maka
Maka

Return to Dojo News