EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

This Forum Was Hacked [UPDATE March 19th, 2012]

A moderated forum where Stan Sakai and the UYD Shogunate regularly post UY-related news, comic con and signing info, Dojo contest info, and special announcements to UYD Members.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, digulla, Moderators

This Forum Was Hacked [UPDATE March 19th, 2012]

Postby digulla » Sun Mar 04, 2012 14:28 +0000

Hello,

Unfortunately, I have to inform you that the old forum was hacked.

If you tried to visit the forum and were redirected (i.e. all of a sudden, you were on a Russian site or on Google instead of seeing the forum), follow these steps:

1. Make a backup of all your data
2. Get the latest version of an anti virus software. This forum post might help: http://usagiyojimbo.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?p=40979#40979
3. Follow the instructions of your AV software how to check your computer
4. Check the backup you made as well (so you don't get infected when you restore your backup)

Note: Todays viruses don't destroy data - they try to steal your passwords and credit card information instead.

If you entered any password since you were redirected, chances are that the password was stolen. In that case:

1. Make sure you followed the steps above
2. Go to all sites which you visted and change your passwords!

To avoid problems like this in the future, install Internet Explorer 10, Firefox 10 or Google Chrome. While Microsoft has improved security of their product in recent years, Firefox and Chrome usually respond much faster to threats and aren't as vulnerable to begin with.

Sorry for the inconvenience :(

Updated July 1st, 2014: Converted back into normal post; after two years, everyone should have noted the attack.
Aaron Digulla a.k.a. Philmann Dark
"It's not the universe that's limited, it's our imagination.
Follow me and I'll show you something beyond the limits."
http://www.philmann-dark.de/
digulla
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Return to Dojo News