EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

August prize giveaway!

A moderated forum where Stan Sakai and the UYD Shogunate regularly post UY-related news, comic con and signing info, Dojo contest info, and special announcements to UYD Members.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, digulla, Moderators

August prize giveaway!

Postby jabba359 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 16:09 +0000

One of my favorite parts of attending comic conventions is getting to meet the many artists that attend. So for this month's giveaway, all I ask is that you do two things:

1. Post that you want to enter the giveaway (if you want to do #2 and not enter the giveaway, just don't complete task #1)
2. Share a story about an artist that you've met. If you haven't met any artists, please share one you'd like to meet and why.

This prize pack includes a copy of Anime Play, which features an interview with Stan as well as a DVD with an 11-minute video "Making Usagi Yojimbo". Thanks to forum member Shadowfax for donating this prize, as well as Maichan for the Yokai mini-book.

About the artist - This month's original Usagi sketch card is by the ever generous Travis Hanson (I believe he's done 5 sketch cards now for these giveaways). Travis is the Eisner nominated creator of web comic The Bean, described as an "epic fantasy tale of a dishwasher." Besides his work on The Bean, Travis has written several other books, contributed to The Sakai Project (page 132), and recently successfully crowdfunded his kitty vs alien card game No Mercy. You can learn more about his work here: http://www.beanleafpress.com/

As usual, I'll use random.org to select a winner (based on the order people complete the 2 requirements). I'll cover shipping to the winner. The contest will run through August 31, 11:59PM PST.

-Kyle
jabba359
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Re: August prize giveaway!

Postby jabba359 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 16:12 +0000

I'm not entering, but thought I'd get us started.

My quick story comes from Stan Lee's Comikaze 2014. I was getting my Sakai Project book signed and, as usual, I was talking to the artist (in this case, Megan Levens) and browsing her art. I noticed she had a great Buffy the Vampire Slayer piece and Buffy was one of the characters I wanted to get an original of. It was in black and white, so I inquired about commissioning a full color piece. Megan was happy to do so and the next day I picked up a really great full color Buffy that Megan had gone way above and beyond on, especially at the price I had paid. She then told me that she had just been signed to illustrate a few issues of the upcoming Buffy comic book! So I thought it was cool that I had met someone through the Sakai Project that happened to have a piece of art of a character I wanted to commission, and then it turns out that she'd also be working on the book.

My tale goes a little further, however, as I saw Megan about a year or so later. She pulled out a copy of the just released trade paperback of Buffy and showed me that my commission had also made it into the art gallery in the back of the trade, which I thought was pretty cool. 8)
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby Gi_Ra » Sun Aug 14, 2016 20:39 +0000

1. I'd like to enter in the giveaway! Thanks!
2. In the early 2000s I went to a public library in Hawaii to get change for bus money to get home from a long day in college. As I entered the library, a sign read "Stan Sakai Presentation!" I thought to myself, "What in the world? No way!" I missed my bus ride but it was worth it.

Stan was super humble and kind, sketching usagi and telling stories about his career. I was amazed and starstruck since his stories captured my imagination growing up! I asked him, "What does it take to be a good artist?" as he sketched usagi for me.

His response? "Keep practicing each day!" Then he shook my hand and I appreciated his advice.

Now I give that same advice to my art students from grades K-6. Stan Sakai inspired me to keep practicing but more so helped motivate me to teach others to do the same! **my biggest regret to this day is hiding my quick sketch in my parents home! I hid it so well that i can't find it myself (I wanted to make sure my treasure was kept in a safe place!lol). I better visit their home and keep looking. *sigh*best memory meeting Stan Sakai and first time ever meeting a legendary artist! Thanks Stan!

Take care all
Gi_Ra
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby Ghost9 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:23 +0000

Please enter me! :)
The first time I met Stan was at a tiny little indie convention in Austin, TX called STAPLE. I brought my oldest son, who was 8 at the time (it was 2009). Stan was incredibly kind & humble, signed & sketched in several books for me, and even asked what my favorite story was. It was truly memorable, and I still have all the items I got that day. The other thing that stands out for me from that show is meeting a small town Texas artist named Chris Ruggia. He draws an online comic called Jack: Adventures in Texas' Big Bend, which is a great story of an unlikely friendship of a jackrabbit and a kangaroo mouse. I got a sketch from him, and bought his mini-comic. I've commissioned several pieces of art from him over the years, and have the complete volume of "Jack".

Thanks!
Ghost9

Postby Maka » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:35 +0000

1. I do not want to be entered.

2. I meet Eric Shanower at SDCC 2009, I think. I was attracted to his Wizard of Oz book (this was before his collaboration with Skottie Young I the Marvel OZ books). I bought his complete collection graphic novel and got a free sketch from him (my daughter loved this collection and it is falling apart now because it has been read over and over again). I asked him why he picked Oz books to draw and write. He said he loved the stories from the age he was a kid and never stopped loving them. He was an Oz fan and wanted to spread these wonderful stories to others.

A few year later, at WonderCon, I saw Eric on a panel for independent comic creators. It was a great panel of artist and I decided to buy Eric's Age of Bronze collections to support him. We talked about his obsessive research. He even was able to get to Greece and have a personal tour with one of archeologist researchers there because of some connections he had. His partner wasn't as into the tour and spending their vacation doing research but was still supportive. (Side note: I read the first three books of Age of Bronze and while it is well researched, it is not my cup of tea. I gave it to the local library). I told Eric I saw another panel with the artist Seth and was kinda put off by Seth's belief if you don't hand draw comics, they aren't "real comics." But Eric laughed and gently supported Seth by saying something like, "Seth is a character and he is who he is." I thought that was very respectful and it helped me reframe my judgment of Seth (whose art I love).

I tend to be shy when I am around these comic creators. But Eric was very comfortable to talk with. A really nice guy. If you haven't checked out his collaboration with Scotty Young on the Marvel Oz books, seek it out at your local library or story. They are great and fun. http://www.ericshanower.com/

Peace, maka
Maka

Postby jabba359 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:36 +0000

Down to the last few days to win, and right now the odds are pretty good!
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby jabba359 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 13:12 +0000

Okay, guess this contest wasn't one of the more popular ones. Haha, guess it made great odds for those that entered.

So, we have a 50/50 chance of winning with only two entries:

1. Gi_Ra
2. Ghost9

And random.org picks...

18 August prize random.jpg
18 August prize random.jpg (29 KiB) Viewed 5875 times

Ghost9! Congrats on winning! PM inbound!
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby Gi_Ra » Fri Sep 02, 2016 15:41 +0000

Great contest! Thanks for having it and congrats Ghost 9! :-)

Have a great Labor Day weekend everyone!
Gi_Ra

Postby BuckRogers » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:28 +0000

jabba359 wrote:Okay, guess this contest wasn't one of the more popular ones. Haha, guess it made great odds for those that entered.

So, we have a 50/50 chance of winning with only two entries:

1. Gi_Ra
2. Ghost9

And random.org picks...

18 August prize random.jpg

Ghost9! Congrats on winning! PM inbound!

No, I would not say unpopular it was just that I have never met any artists and only now, upon rereading your conditions, do I see the second criteria! Dang! I would love to meet Stan and Stan (Sakai and Lee) as they are the two most influential comic artists in my life!
The Credit Belongs to the Man Who is Actually in the Arena ....
BuckRogers

Postby Mayhem » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:21 +0000

I didn't really have any interesting stories to tell here about meeting comic artists... most of them run of the mill. Apart from Mike Dialynas maybe, that was fun back at LSCC in February.
With a breeze comes a storm, but then you'll all be washed away...
Mayhem

Postby Ghost9 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:46 +0000

Thanks! Grateful to win!!
Ghost9

Return to Dojo News