EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

UY 157

A moderated forum where Stan Sakai and the UYD Shogunate regularly post UY-related news, comic con and signing info, Dojo contest info, and special announcements to UYD Members.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, digulla, Moderators

UY 157

Postby TigerRider » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:25 +0000

I just read #155-157 in a triple pack and I liked it very much, not to say it's fantastic: One of my favourite dream-teams, Usagi/ Ishida, in action. I think I won't spoiler anything as they are together to be seen on cover 155.

A thrilling crime-investigation with a touch of spookiness, great. 8)

And another good thing, if I might quote Stan from last page of #157: "The good inspector is a favorite of mine and will return to solve another murder in just a few issues."

:D

I wonder if we will then be learning something more about the private Ishida, has he more hobbies than GO? Maybe he also likes kittens, bonsais, koi-fish? :wink:

Greetings
Jens
TigerRider
TigerRider
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Re: UY 157

Postby Warren » Wed Sep 14, 2016 18:50 +0000

I just bought and downloaded issues 155-157 in one fell swoop, myself. It's only the second Ishida story I've read, but I can see how much Stan enjoys using him, and it's quickly making Ishida one of my favourites. Page 21 in #156 well displays one of the things I like about his character and demeanour: he speaks softly and carries a big jitte... I'm also impressed by the deftness with which the enemy is given a sympathetic twist, to some degree. And I didn't see it coming. Trying not to spoil anything, but maybe I was thinking too much of another character with points of similarity.
And the Hell Screen, and the depictions of Enma. I've only seen one other before this, and here the eyes follow you about the page! I have to compliment the art, especially the energetic inking, in the nightmare; and the duel in front of the screen, as if the souls are reacting to the viciousness of the fight. Very strong.

The letters page in #156 brings up #154. Kazehime not cute enough? Well, her face is all twisted and wrinkled into feverish grimaces, suspicious scowls, and a proper Komori 'Skree!' She's fine! :wink: Seriously, though, this is one example of where I think Stan's funny animal characters can seem more human than a lot of human characters in comics. I like the 'imperfect' faces, myself.
Although in deference to Julie, I'm getting a kick out of the chibi watercolours on the back covers, too. :D
I agree with Charles about the 'pity' of that issue, but that it serves the story that was told, and also with Stan's response. I had a feeling Kyosai would be back before too long, after his first appearance, and I'm interested to see how he further compares to Usagi's other friends and occasional travelling companions, and just how they might butt heads, down the road.

And since it was brought up, I've been curious about Komori wing blades for a while. How do they fit? Are they... permanent?
Warren

Postby Maka » Wed Sep 14, 2016 19:35 +0000

For me, it was more than pity. I was very disappointed in the Kazehime ending. I almost want to channel my inner Cynthia and say, "You bastard! You __________ Kazehime!"

It is amazing to me that Stan was able to create such an interesting character in one issue that left me wanting so much more.

Peace, maka
Maka
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby Warren » Fri Sep 16, 2016 16:37 +0000

Well, yes. 'Pity' is something of an understatement. :) There was a fair potential, there. For one example, again, in #156's letters pages: Stan talks about exploring Komori society. Something I'm interested in too, beyond wing blades. (Maybe I'm missing something previously shown, though. Grasscutter II is still on my reading list, and any other Komori stories around it) Kazehime, the first(?) sympathetic Komori ninja, might've been a doorway of sorts into the clan, as Shingen and Chizu were for the Neko clan. But I still appreciate the story that was told, tragic as it is, and if Shingen and Chizu are anything to go by, there's always the possibility of a sibling waiting in the wings. Er, no pun intended.
Warren

Return to Dojo News