Page 2 of 4

Re: New animated Usagi series?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:43 +0000
by Maka
Yes! The kids market is a huge potential in merchandising. If Usagi can break into a fraction of the success that TMNT had in that, not only would the Sakai’s be set for life, the exposure to Usagi would bring in new readers to the comic.

It will be interesting to see what happens. The Sakai team is doing some interesting things to raise awareness of Usagi. Best of luck to to Stan and congratulations on this TV show finding some legs after all these years of hard work. Peace, maka

Usagi animated series by Gaumont

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 23:37 +0000
by Otter
I just checked in to get in get in on the discussion about this...

https://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/2645/gaumont-options-stan-sakais-iconic-comic-book-seri

... but there isn't any! Very rare for me to be the first to post anything Usagi related! :lol:

Immediate thoughts:

1. Despite it being aimed at younger audiences, I hope it doesn't stray too far from the "feeling" and design of Usagi's world that Stan has created in the comics.

2. If the designs are similar, I hope there are toys!

Re: Usagi animated series by Gaumont

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 23:43 +0000
by Steve Hubbell

Re: Usagi animated series by Gaumont

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:12 +0000
by Stan Sakai
The current, or rather just ended, version of the TMNT, was aimed at the 6-11 age demographic and it got away with a lot more than I thought they could--guys were killed and someone was even trampled by a horse in the Usagi episodes. Unfortunately, even that age range is too high for today's TV market and the new incarnation of the Turtles will be aiming even lower, to the 4-6 age demographic.

Re: New animated Usagi series?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 13:57 +0000
by Angilasman
... wait, does the article in the first post indicate that Usagi will be accompanied by Spot in the cartoon or is that simply the author working from a limited knowledge of the comic?

Re: New animated Usagi series?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 18:50 +0000
by Eshbaal
Angilasman wrote:... wait, does the article in the first post indicate that Usagi will be accompanied by Spot in the cartoon or is that simply the author working from a limited knowledge of the comic?

I'm guessing the latter, it doesn't sound like they've done much development yet.

Although, to be fair, Spot accompanying Usagi was pretty early in the series' run. If we imagine they followed the comics chronology to a tee (not likely), him being around in "season 1" would actually make a fair bit of sense.

Otherwise, it may be a case of giving Usagi someone to talk to to avoid the protagonist-chatting-with-themselves thing. That works a whole lot better in comics than it tends to on TV.

Re: New animated Usagi series?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 20:20 +0000
by jabba359
Eshbaal wrote:
Otherwise, it may be a case of giving Usagi someone to talk to to avoid the protagonist-chatting-with-themselves thing.


I don't mean this in a cynical way at all, but it could also be them wanting an easily merchandise-able sidekick. What kid wouldn't want their own stuffed "dinosaur" to accompany them on their real life adventures?

Look at how well sidekick merchandise can do, such as Olaf (Disney's Frozen) or BB-8/R2-D2. You couldn't go anywhere without seeing merchandise based on those sidekicks. I think Spot (or whatever they end up naming this particular tokage) is the pet kids always wish they had, so that makes him a great candidate for pushing sales: Spot stuffed animals; Spot pillow cases; Spot toothpaste; Spot pajamas. You know you'd buy then all. 8)

Re: New animated Usagi series?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:31 +0000
by Eshbaal
jabba359 wrote:Otherwise, it may be a case of giving Usagi someone to talk to to avoid the protagonist-chatting-with-themselves thing.

Oh, of course! But that doesn't have to be a bad thing, as long as they don't pull a Slimer and the Real Ghostbusters on us and keep making Spot more and more front and center and constantly interfering with the story in each episode. But again, I doubt it. While there's certainly still push for sidekick merchandise, that kind of incredibly blatant pandering IS far more rare now than it was.

Re: New animated Usagi series?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:12 +0000
by Angilasman
Eshbaal wrote:Otherwise, it may be a case of giving Usagi someone to talk to to avoid the protagonist-chatting-with-themselves thing.


That's actually a very good point. "Let's see what's going on in that town." "I think we're being watched." "They say there are bandits roaming this countryside." etc.

Re: New animated Usagi series?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:51 +0000
by maichan
Mayhem wrote:Utterly great news... hopefully no counting of chickens, and it actually happens... a little disappointed the targetted age range is 6-11, but hopefully it's still "mature" enough in themes (and I don't mean violence here) to appeal to adults too.



Maybe I was dreaming, since I can't find it anywhere right now.... but I thought I read a comment that Stan made (maybe on Facebook) where he said it would actually be geared towards an even younger audience than the 6-11 age range. Can anyone confirm or deny this so I know I'm not imagining things.

Re: New animated Usagi series?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:09 +0000
by Stan Sakai
maichan wrote:Maybe I was dreaming, since I can't find it anywhere right now.... but I thought I read a comment that Stan made (maybe on Facebook) where he said it would actually be geared towards an even younger audience than the 6-11 age range. Can anyone confirm or deny this so I know I'm not imagining things.


I had written that the new TMNT reboot will be geared for a younger demographic, in the 4-6 range.

Re: New animated Usagi series?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:21 +0000
by maichan
Stan Sakai wrote:
maichan wrote:Maybe I was dreaming, since I can't find it anywhere right now.... but I thought I read a comment that Stan made (maybe on Facebook) where he said it would actually be geared towards an even younger audience than the 6-11 age range. Can anyone confirm or deny this so I know I'm not imagining things.


I had written that the new TMNT reboot will be geared for a younger demographic, in the 4-6 range.


Thank you for the clarification Stan.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. There are so many ways to present and interpret Usagi Yojimbo. While a more gritty interpretation would most likely please older fans, a version geared to the young is a great way to introduce an entirely new generation to the world of Usagi Yojimbo. I look forward to seeing what will come of all this. :)

Re: New animated Usagi series?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 15:15 +0000
by Maka
Hey Maichan,

Just to clarify, Stan’s comment was for TMNT not the USagi TV show. At least, that is my understanding. :)

Peace, maka

Re: New animated Usagi series?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 15:22 +0000
by maichan
Maka wrote:Hey Maichan,

Just to clarify, Stan’s comment was for TMNT not the USagi TV show. At least, that is my understanding. :)

Peace, maka



DUH!!!..... :oops:

That went over my head not once, but twice!!! :lol:


Thank you Maka!


But I'd still be okay with a UY series geared towards young kids. :wink:

Re: New animated Usagi series?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 16:04 +0000
by grusagi
just a thought

how about 2 different series?

young usagi for the younger kids

adult usagi for older kids and above

twice the usagi! 8)