EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Stan Sakai receives inaugural Joe Kubert Storyteller Award

A moderated forum where Stan Sakai and the UYD Shogunate regularly post UY-related news, comic con and signing info, Dojo contest info, and special announcements to UYD Members.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, digulla, Moderators

Stan Sakai receives inaugural Joe Kubert Storyteller Award

Postby jabba359 » Thu May 24, 2018 22:23 +0000

-Kyle
jabba359
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Re: Stan Sakai receives inaugural Joe Kubert Storyteller Awa

Postby Steve Hubbell » Fri May 25, 2018 0:27 +0000

Awesome job, Kyle, but you forgot the one in Vietnamese....

http://thegioidienanh.vn/cha-de-cua-bo- ... 24053.html

:D
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby maichan » Fri May 25, 2018 10:05 +0000

Congratulations to Stan, and great team effort from Steve & Kyle! Dōmo arigatōgozaimashita! :P
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby Maka » Fri May 25, 2018 10:48 +0000

Dear Stan,

Congratulations! I was fortunate enough to attend the ceremony and it was nice to hear about the impact of Joe Kubert on others and then to have you compared to him. And how you stand alone too.

Here's part of what I wrote about it on fb: "Awesome day hanging out with Daniel and Matt from the Usagi Yojimbo Dojo at Comic Con Revolution in Ontario. I added an amazing Llode Marshall Brigette sketch in my self portraits sketchbook. The highlight of the day was Lloyd told me Stan Sakai was going to receive the first Joe Kubert Distinguished Storyteller Award at 5:30pm. So I hung out to watch that and see how Stan’s peers love him. Paul Jenkins accepted the award for Stan, who couldn’t be there because of a family emergency. Paul read a statement from Stan and then quotes from some of my favorite comics artist about how deserving Stan is of this award. Paul ended by saying something like, “Everyone knows how deserving Stan is to win this award. But it is who Stan is as a human being that will be his legacy.” I couldn’t agree more."

Peace, maka
Maka
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby Steve Hubbell » Fri May 25, 2018 12:24 +0000

Very nicely put, Maka! I missed your original post on Facebook, so I am glad you reposted it here....
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby Eltanin » Sun May 27, 2018 18:10 +0000

Congratulations to Stan, it's well deserved. And beautiful post from Maka.
Eltanin
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby Kaimuki » Mon May 28, 2018 0:41 +0000

Wow so awesome to read this!!
Congrats to Stan & his family, so very well deserved!
Kaimuki

Postby Trevis Woods » Wed May 30, 2018 13:34 +0000

Maka wrote:Dear Stan,

Congratulations! I was fortunate enough to attend the ceremony and it was nice to hear about the impact of Joe Kubert on others and then to have you compared to him. And how you stand alone too.

Here's part of what I wrote about it on fb: "Awesome day hanging out with Daniel and Matt from the Usagi Yojimbo Dojo at Comic Con Revolution in Ontario. I added an amazing Llode Marshall Brigette sketch in my self portraits sketchbook. The highlight of the day was Lloyd told me Stan Sakai was going to receive the first Joe Kubert Distinguished Storyteller Award at 5:30pm. So I hung out to watch that and see how Stan’s peers love him. Paul Jenkins accepted the award for Stan, who couldn’t be there because of a family emergency. Paul read a statement from Stan and then quotes from some of my favorite comics artist about how deserving Stan is of this award. Paul ended by saying something like, “Everyone knows how deserving Stan is to win this award. But it is who Stan is as a human being that will be his legacy.” I couldn’t agree more."
Peace, maka

Very awesome! I love the legacy quote. Thanks for sharing!
Trevis Woods

Postby Casey Burns » Mon Aug 13, 2018 22:11 +0000

This is huge. Such a meaningful (and deserved) award. Kubert is a storytelling legend. LEGEND. Everything I've ever heard about his ethos is all about art in service of the story. If the art looks good, great, but if it's not serving the story, tear it up and start over. My buddy and art mentor George Pratt drilled into me 20 years ago the storytelling power of Kubert, and he was right to do so. Kubert is up there with Toth when it comes to economical storytelling. And up there with Stan, for sure.

Congratulations, Stan, this is a well-deserved award that highlights how powerful your storytelling abilites are. Thanks again for always writing and drawing great STORIES.

Woot!
Casey Burns Creative
http://caseyburnscreative.com
Casey Burns

Return to Dojo News