EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Usagi Yojimbo Dojo Heroes Initiative New Year’s raffle

A moderated forum where Stan Sakai and the UYD Shogunate regularly post UY-related news, comic con and signing info, Dojo contest info, and special announcements to UYD Members.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, digulla, Moderators

Re: Usagi Yojimbo Dojo Heroes Initiative New Year’s raffle

Postby Maka » Thu Oct 31, 2019 16:19 +0000

And if I had a chance to win an original sketch from Stan Sakai, I would be willing to buy more than one ticket. But I’m not eligible to win. Ha! We’ll figure it out and see what happens and adjust as necessary. And keep on posting your ideas here. Kyle and Steve will see them too and we’ll come to some agreement for the first one. We two months or so to decide.
Maka
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby Maka » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:40 +0000

Dear Sam,

Your donations arrived today. Thank you so much for giving to our UY Dojo charity raffle.

Peace, maka
Maka

Postby maichan » Sat Nov 02, 2019 22:49 +0000

This should be fun!

So here's what I'm donating...

20191102_110725 by Michael Foertsch, on Flickr
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby Maka » Sat Nov 02, 2019 23:52 +0000

Awesome! Thanks again, Maichan!

Peace, Maka
Maka

Postby Gaffey » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:24 +0000

Nice!
Gaffey

Postby Maka » Fri Nov 08, 2019 19:18 +0000

Dear UYD,

Here’s a link to a podcast that Craig was a guest on promoting his Hellboy charity raffle. They hope to raise over $6,000. Craig even secured 100 exclusive hellboy pins for the first 100 people who buy 10 tickets ($50).

He also got Dark Horse, IDW to contribute prizes. Amazing work.

Here’s the point where they talk about Stan contributing. Can’t wait for Nov. 15 to see Stan art. https://overcast.fm/+ODNjyAO5M/13:51

Peace, maka
Maka

Postby Mayhem » Tue Nov 12, 2019 14:43 +0000

Not quite as impressive as some of the other donations, but I'm able to group these for a prize if that's good...? :) can take a photo of the items for the raffle as well.

(and probably easiest if I then just directly ship to the winner rather than send it somewhere first heh)

Usagi Yojimbo issue #1 (the very first issue, first print)
Critters #3
Planeta Comic Spanish FCBD promo (signed)
The Witcher issue #1 Sakai cover (signed)
Long Beach Comic Expo 2015 program
Dark Horse Presents issues #35 and #36 (signed)
TFAW.com promo card (signed)
Usagi Gets Caught Reading poster (signed)
IDW Usagi poster
Hallowe'en Comicfest issue
With a breeze comes a storm, but then you'll all be washed away...
Mayhem

Postby Maka » Tue Nov 12, 2019 21:28 +0000

That's Awesome Matt! Thanks! That's a nice bundle to win for one ticket.
Yes, a photo would be good to show people what they can win.
And I can send you money to pay for the shipping to where ever it ends up going.

You people are the best!

Peace, maka
Maka

Postby Steve Hubbell » Tue Nov 12, 2019 23:35 +0000

Mayhem wrote:Not quite as impressive as some of the other donations, but I'm able to group these for a prize if that's good...? :) can take a photo of the items for the raffle as well.

(and probably easiest if I then just directly ship to the winner rather than send it somewhere first heh)

Usagi Yojimbo issue #1 (the very first issue, first print)
Critters #3
Planeta Comic Spanish con promo comic (signed)
The Witcher issue #1 Sakai cover (signed)
Long Beach Comic Expo 2015 program
Dark Horse Presents issues #35 and #36 (signed)
TFAW.com promo card (signed)
Usagi Gets Caught Reading poster (signed)
IDW Usagi poster

I am curious as to what the Planeta Comic Spanish con promo comic is.....
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby Mayhem » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:55 +0000

As my LCS ordered in the whole pack of the Hallowe'en Comicfest issue for me (25 copies!) then I've added one to the prize list. The pack should be with me this week. I'll also have spares for anyone needing it in Europe.

Steve Hubbell wrote:I am curious as to what the Planeta Comic Spanish con promo comic is.....

I''ve adjusted the description, it's what was offered here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8149

Evidently I ended up with two copies along the way, I believe... I'll double check obviously before letting this one go ;)
Mayhem

Postby Maka » Fri Dec 06, 2019 16:28 +0000

Dear UYDers,

Here's the update:

We are using The Mike Mignola's Art FB pages' "Another BUFF Holiday Raffle!” as a template. So this is the draft (please feel free to give your feedback) of what UYDer will post sometime in January:

The First Usagi Yojimbo Dojo Charity Raffle! The proceeds will be donated to the charity Stan Sakai picked: The Heroes Initiative (https://www.heroinitiative.org). They are a non-profit that creates a financial safety net for comic creators who may need emergency medical aid, financial support for essentials of life, and an avenue back into paying work. Stan Sakai chose it. Thank you, Stan!

“Ticket” cost: $5 USD
There is no purchase limit of number of raffle tickets you can purchase.

Early Bird Special: Thanks to the generosity of one of our Dojo Members, Kaimuki, we have 30 copies of Hawaii's Wasabi Magazine with Usagi on the cover (and an article inside) SIGNED by Stan! The first 30 participants who donate at least $20 (too much, too little?) to this raffle will receive a SIGNED copy of this magazine.

Please send the funds via PayPal to zarolove@yahoo.com (send feel free via the “sending to a friend” option). In the comment section please put “UY Dojo Charity!”. For every increment of $5, you get one raffle ticket.

— For international participants that cannot send via the “sending to a friend” option, please add 7% to the transaction. —

Purchases can be made until 11:59 PM PDT on January 31st. On February 1st, 2020 names will be placed in a container and names will be drawn. The winning participants will be contacted via FB messenger in the order drawn and prize selections will be made from the remaining prizes.

After all the money is collected, and the winners are picked, we will ship the prizes to the winners. The rest of the money will be donated to The Heroes Initiative on behalf of you, The Usagi Yojimbo Dojo! Thanks so much!

One prize per person.

The prize list (in the order pictured):

-Something from Stan Sakai (TBA)
-Arts-Rec Skateboard Deck (Signed by Stan, I hope I can get Stan to remark this too)
-Original Usagi Sketch by Tessa Rose (Jak's Comics Variant Cover Artist for Usagi Yojimbo Vol. 4, issues 6)
-Roku Toys Series One Statue (Signed by Stan)*
-Roku Toys Series Two Statue (Signed by Stan)*
-The Usagi Yojimbo Saga Book 2 limited Hardcover (Signed by Stan)*
-The Usagi Yojimbo Saga Book 3 limited Hardcover (Signed by Stan)*
-The Usagi Yojimbo Saga Book 4 limited Hardcover (Signed by Stan)*
-The Usagi Yojimbo Saga limited Hardcover Legends (Signed by Stan)*
-Garfield #1 (1 of 3) Stan Sakai variant cover (Signed by Stan)+
-Garfield #1 (2 of 3) Stan Sakai variant cover (Signed by Stan)+
-Garfield #1 (3 of 3) Stan Sakai variant cover (Signed by Stan)+
-Usagi 11" Action figure (Signed by Stan)+
-The Sakai Project 30th Anniversary Book (signed by Stan)+
-Dark Horse Presents Volume 2, Issues 35 & 36 (signed and remarked by Stan)+
-Usagi poster (signed by Stan)+
-The UK package (thanks to Dojo Member Mayhem), which includes: [Usagi Yojimbo issue #1 (the very first issue, first print), Critters #3, Planeta -Comic Spanish con promo comic (signed), The Witcher issue #1 Sakai cover (signed), Long Beach Comic Expo 2015 program, Dark Horse Presents issues #35 and #36 (signed), TFAW.com promo card (signed), Usagi Gets Caught Reading poster (signed), IDW Usagi poster].
-Gaffey's donations (TBA)

A massive thank you goes out to all of the contributors this year! (I figure out a way to recognize you all somehow: *Donated by Maichan; +Donated by Kaimuki. Mayhem, Gaffey, Stan Sakai, Did I miss anyone?

I haven't figure out what to do with the Usagi Yojimbo Get Caught Reading Posters (Signed by Stan). I have 11 of them. We could do something similar to the Wasabi magazines and have anyone who donates $40 or more gets a copy. Not sure. Ideas?

We will meet with Stan shortly to get these things signed. Gaffey, I don't know if we will be able to meet with Stan again to get your donations signed.

If you have anything you want to donate to this charity raffle, I need to have it by the end of December. I will take photos of it for the UYD FB post.

My goal to raise $2,000. I don't know if we will be able to do it. But once the post is made in January, if you all help share it on your social media, we will see what happens.

One point: you suggested we might be able to make more money auctioning the big-ticket items (ie. UY skate deck) on eBay. I'm going to say that money isn't the only reason we are doing this charity auction. We also want to promote the generosity of UY Dojo and give the dojo members an opportunity to win some cool prizes without having to plunk down $300+ dollars. So I have decided to just have them all included in this charity raffle. Keep the feedback coming. :)

Peace, maka
Maka

Postby Gaffey » Fri Dec 06, 2019 17:46 +0000

send feel free via the “sending to a friend” option
Did you mean fee free?

We will meet with Stan shortly to get these things signed. Gaffey, I don't know if we will be able to meet with Stan again to get your donations signed.
I'll try to get my stuff out on Monday.
Gaffey

Postby Maka » Fri Dec 06, 2019 18:49 +0000

Thanks Gaffey!

For the typo and the donations! :). Peace, maka
Maka

Postby Mayhem » Sat Dec 07, 2019 13:53 +0000

7% is a bit high to add for non friend and family method, unless you are only buying one ticket. But thems the breaks heh.

I had to remove the Planeta book from my prize as I couldn’t find the one I thought I had in my collection :| I’ll find something else to replace it though, and get a photo together of the prize set!
Mayhem

Previous

Return to Dojo News