EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Usagi Yojimbo RPG

Post problems and requests to the UY Dojo here. Requests include something you'd like to appear on the UY Dojo: Story synopses, Character descriptions, etc.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Usagi Yojimbo RPG

Postby CrimzDaReaper » Thu Jan 31, 2013 16:44 +0000

What is the game like? Is it for the computer? Or is it like a Board game?

Secondly the Art of Usagi Yojimbo. Is there anything extra in the hardcover that's not in the Soft Cover? I don't have either yet but I obviously would rather have a hardcover than a soft cover.

Thanks guys
CrimzDaReaper
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Re: Usagi Yojimbo RPG

Postby Steve Hubbell » Fri Feb 01, 2013 0:12 +0000

CrimzDaReaper wrote:What is the game like? Is it for the computer? Or is it like a Board game?

Secondly the Art of Usagi Yojimbo. Is there anything extra in the hardcover that's not in the Soft Cover? I don't have either yet but I obviously would rather have a hardcover than a soft cover.

Thanks guys

The Art of Usagi Yojimbo hardcover has the exact same content as the soft cover edition. I have copies of both editions and I have to say the soft cover edition is every bit as nice as the hardcover, or possibly the hardcover is not worth how much sellers are trying to get for them concidering how nice the soft cover edition is.

The Usagi RPG or Role Playing Games (two differant versions) are not designed for computers (yet) but I don't think they qualify as board games either. Several people basically play the role of some characters from the comic and another person directs you through some adventures with the use of dice to define how specific encounters are handled. I have never played a role playing game before, but I have both versions of the Usagi games and have read through the game books. Maybe some of the Dojo members who have played the game can fill you in on more of the details.

The original Usagi RPG book has a really cool Timeline for the earlier part of Usagi's history (obviously, none of the stories from the comics published after the game are included in it).
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby CrimzDaReaper » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:41 +0000

Cool Thanks bro
CrimzDaReaper

Postby Cyberwolf » Mon May 06, 2013 13:23 +0000

Since the topic is related tp the UY RPG, might as well put this here.

Couple of perplexing questions about the RPG, mainly from conflicting with the badly spoiled DnD mindset of "Stab Monster, Loot Corpse, Then Proceed to Purchase Weapons And Armor The Better to Stab More Monsters and Loot More Corpses With." Variants, well, do vary, Almost beautiful system, but that doesn't bode well with the UY reward system, and gameplay in general, to be frank.

Rewards can take the form of experience units, and money. Money rewards happen to be dice roll amounts rather then whatever lump sum. Get some koku which might amount to a 1d12, or some ryo which counts as 2 1d4s, and can be added to 2d4.

An item has a expense catergory, say cheap or extravagant, for example. To purchase an item, a dice roll must be made. More expensive items require a higher number die, and a higher number of rolls to made. A cheap item, say, will have to be rolled 1d4, and the successive number be beaten, oh, perhaps 3 times. A extragavant item may have to be rolled 8 times with a 1d12. Once used, the money reward die are gone into magical thin air, they vanish.

This system is the more intruiging and appealing, they make the focus more on roleplay and story in having to work for the reward or item. Hovever the measure of markets, buying and rewarding are uncertain.

How to reward a player moneywise? Do they get a certain amount of 1d4s everytime they stop a ninja attack after rummaging through ninja pockets? Should it be far and few between for any money reward? While currency examples are briefly mentioned, koku, ryo, etc, there are no conversion equivalents to dice amounts or currency, just a broad 1d4-1d12.

Markets are another problem. The only items that have an expense catergory are the weapons listed. It also mentions the weapons aren't sold anywhere, a certain seller has to be found, no examples are given. Much of this is lack of reference, yet looking at other RPG systems didn't help, nor could the historical data be found.

Lastly, any ideas for a Demon Hunter Career ala Sasuke' though magic is't allowed to the players? Thinking perhaps a Special Gift applying only to certain Yokai or Careers might be applicable.

Any help on these topics would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
Cyberwolf

Postby Steve Hubbell » Mon May 06, 2013 17:35 +0000

:shock:

(Sound of air flowing past the top of my head)

I am not a role playing game person, so I can't answer whatever your questions are, but I did notice that you did not specify whether you are talking about the original Usagi RPG from Goldrush or the newer one from Sanguine.....

Cyberwolf wrote:Since the topic is related tp the UY RPG, might as well put this here.

Couple of perplexing questions about the RPG, mainly from conflicting with the badly spoiled DnD mindset of "Stab Monster, Loot Corpse, Then Proceed to Purchase Weapons And Armor The Better to Stab More Monsters and Loot More Corpses With." Variants, well, do vary, Almost beautiful system, but that doesn't bode well with the UY reward system, and gameplay in general, to be frank.

Rewards can take the form of experience units, and money. Money rewards happen to be dice roll amounts rather then whatever lump sum. Get some koku which might amount to a 1d12, or some ryo which counts as 2 1d4s, and can be added to 2d4.

An item has a expense catergory, say cheap or extravagant, for example. To purchase an item, a dice roll must be made. More expensive items require a higher number die, and a higher number of rolls to made. A cheap item, say, will have to be rolled 1d4, and the successive number be beaten, oh, perhaps 3 times. A extragavant item may have to be rolled 8 times with a 1d12. Once used, the money reward die are gone into magical thin air, they vanish.

This system is the more intruiging and appealing, they make the focus more on roleplay and story in having to work for the reward or item. Hovever the measure of markets, buying and rewarding are uncertain.

How to reward a player moneywise? Do they get a certain amount of 1d4s everytime they stop a ninja attack after rummaging through ninja pockets? Should it be far and few between for any money reward? While currency examples are briefly mentioned, koku, ryo, etc, there are no conversion equivalents to dice amounts or currency, just a broad 1d4-1d12.

Markets are another problem. The only items that have an expense catergory are the weapons listed. It also mentions the weapons aren't sold anywhere, a certain seller has to be found, no examples are given. Much of this is lack of reference, yet looking at other RPG systems didn't help, nor could the historical data be found.

Lastly, any ideas for a Demon Hunter Career ala Sasuke' though magic is't allowed to the players? Thinking perhaps a Special Gift applying only to certain Yokai or Careers might be applicable.

Any help on these topics would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby Cyberwolf » Sat May 11, 2013 13:03 +0000

Blast, forgot to mention it is the 2005 Sangune Edition. The strong influences are from Ironclaw/Jadeclaw, but it takes some liberties. Races don't have number modifiers, like badger has teeth and +1 to attack, for example. From looking it over its more experience and reward due to objective and goals, instead of general combat situations. Everything is rolled up and decide in mostly in raw dice and bonus dice, rather then adding several hundred different numerical factors to that other roll as in other RPGs.

And much apologies for the ramblings, it is difficult to find a comparison to it. The concerns are, how exactly to work the money reward/inventory system during play, and using perhaps realistic currencies of the game setting to expand play? Where does exactly does money, shops, and all the items that are not starting weapons fit in? The former is a real lack of historical reference and knowledge and my part, yet couldn't find any good information on that's eras' economies.

For every purchase, depending on the cost, a certain amount of dice has to be a rolled a certain amount of times, because money is the raw dice, like mentioned above. In purchasing a Cheap bowl of noodles at an inn during RP, one might have to roll 1d4 of ryo against a number of 3, and beat that number of 3 two whole times. Its hard to imagine a group of players would want to roll successives for the everyday buying of things. Does the same goes if a player wants to buy a straw hat or umbrella? At the same time, how should a botched purchase attempt be handled? Does it mean the served bowls of noodles are dropped, and the umbrella vendor is fresh out of umbrellas? Also considering players, whether Samurai or not, would start off with the weapons they want, there isn't much incentive to buy anything else. There is no, stronger, better katana or longbow, like in other rpgs, for instance.

So it seems sticky business to use shops and distribute money rewards, and in a sense, items at all. At least it appears so.
The very last question was a character build. There are no magic-using Classes/Careers in the UY rpg, because magic isn't allowed. However, I would like to play a character like Sasuke' the Demonhunter from the UY, without the use of magic but still hunts out the supernatural through priestly or honorable ways perhaps. Thinking of including a Special Gift that gives benefits with in contact with the Supernatural or what can be a Yokai Monster opponent type for this particular Career. Any other ideas?

Hopefully that clarified things up, if not, then I'll try again. Thanks regardless.
Cyberwolf

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Dojo Help