EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Closed forum

Post problems and requests to the UY Dojo here. Requests include something you'd like to appear on the UY Dojo: Story synopses, Character descriptions, etc.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Closed forum

Postby jabba359 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:00 +0000

I was just wondering if anyone knows why the forum is closed to those that might want to read but don't want to sign up? It seems to me that most forums let you read the content without needing to log in. I'm not asking for it to change, but was curious why there's this restriction. If people could visit without signing up, they might see what a great community we have and decide to join so that they can also participate in the conversations.
-Kyle
jabba359
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Re: Closed forum

Postby Maka » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:37 +0000

jabba359 wrote:I was just wondering if anyone knows why the forum is closed to those that might want to read but don't want to sign up? It seems to me that most forums let you read the content without needing to log in. I'm not asking for it to change, but was curious why there's this restriction. If people could visit without signing up, they might see what a great community we have and decide to join so that they can also participate in the conversations.

I think, but don't know, that we had some spambots that were taking over the discussion boards. They would either start dozens new threads promoting their business products or hijack the legitimate threads, which was annoying. Having people registered stopped this from happening. That's my memory, which may not be trusted in all situations. :)

Great job promoting the dojo on Facebook! Hopefully we will get some new members due to your good efforts.

Peace, maka
Maka

Postby maichan » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:54 +0000

I think what Kyle is referring to is that non-members can't even look at the discussions, not that they be able to participate.

A lot of forums allow non-members to view the discussions. If they want to reply or start a topic, then they must be registered.

I moderate on a forum that is set up to allow viewing of specific topics by non-members, while other topics are blocked. Members have access to all the topics.
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby Mayhem » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:31 +0000

It seems like a fair enough request.

On a trial basis, I have set all the forums here to read only, so non members can view the topics and posts, but can't do anything else. If there's any trouble or problems, I can revert them back quite easily.
With a breeze comes a storm, but then you'll all be washed away...
Mayhem

Postby maichan » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:55 +0000

Yeah Mayhem! :D
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby BuckRogers » Wed Oct 07, 2015 13:03 +0000

Well done, all around.

Hopefully they'll be able to look around and realize that perhaps they are our kind of crazy and feel right at home! :shock:
The Credit Belongs to the Man Who is Actually in the Arena ....
BuckRogers
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby jabba359 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 13:21 +0000

Mayhem wrote:It seems like a fair enough request.

On a trial basis, I have set all the forums here to read only, so non members can view the topics and posts, but can't do anything else. If there's any trouble or problems, I can revert them back quite easily.

Great! I know that before joining forums, I like to read around a little bit to see if it's a place I want to spend time. If I like it, then I sign up so I can participate. Hopefully this will help us get more fans involved.
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby Lobster Johnson » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:26 +0000

I also like to read a forum for a while before I join, just to see how it is.
Maka wrote:Great job promoting the dojo on Facebook! Hopefully we will get some new members due to your good efforts.

Peace, maka

I really like the Dojo Facebook page as well, especially the photos of original art collections. I was very surprised to see an Usagi piece that I currently own in a recent gallery. :shock: The previous owner must have sold some of his pieces to the Albert Moy site, as several of the drawings are now on there (and that's where I got my piece).
Lobster Johnson
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Dojo Help