EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Pages to keep

Post problems and requests to the UY Dojo here. Requests include something you'd like to appear on the UY Dojo: Story synopses, Character descriptions, etc.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Pages to keep

Postby digulla » Tue Nov 05, 2002 1:35 +0000

(Again the continuation of a private mail exchange with Todd)

Todd Shogun wrote:I've come up with a list of the sites in the UYD that I would like to keep as they are:

Realm of the Dragon
UY Cover Gallery
Grasscutter Website
Usagi's World
UY Journal
UY Letters

The other pages can be converted over to the new format.

Realm of the Dragon: Maybe

UY Cover Gallery: I'll create a second layout based on the new one but which uses frames for the cover gallery, the comics, the character sheets and the stories.

Grasscutter Website: Maybe. I just dislike the heavy use of frames and the /ç*"% JavaScript which delayed the loading for 15 seconds while the colors were dimmed but I fixed the second and I guess I could live with the former. OTOH, I would really like to have the same look'n'feel on all pages of the dojo. If only two pages would work differently, I wouldn't think that worth the effort.

Usagi's World: Definitely a No. The large image map is a nice idea but the image is too large, the scan is bad, it's not really obvious what can be clicked on and what can't be, etc. This thing needs a major overhaul and I see no reason to keep it as it is. And when we change it, then I see no reason to convert it into a framed layout as the UY Cover Gallery.

Usagi Journal: See UY Cover Gallery

UY Letters: The same.

And for those who despise frames: The way the dojo is generated right now, it's no problem to create several versions (ie. framed and non-framed) from the same source. So there will be a non-framed version which will take somewhat longer to load.

I'm even thinking about a way to have user-defined layouts. This would allow the visitors of the dojo to specify if they want the MIDI sounds or not, select a specific sound for all pages or use the sound which is specified on the page and if they like frames or not. But that would make the dojo much slower, so I'm really undecided about this :-?
Todd Shogun wrote:The UY Journal has obviously gone through some very extensive re-working. Are you to credit for this? Whoever re-worked it did an outstanding job!

Thanks! Yep, that was me. Hell of a lot of work but I'm pleased with the result.
Aaron Digulla a.k.a. Philmann Dark
"It's not the universe that's limited, it's our imagination.
Follow me and I'll show you something beyond the limits."
http://www.philmann-dark.de/
digulla
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby Todd Shogun » Tue Nov 05, 2002 8:53 +0000

A second layout sounds good. The proposed new layout seems incompatible with the existing sites I've listed. If you can come up with some alternative layouts that have the look and feel of the new one, but are compatible with the listed sites, then by all means go for it.

The listed sites were originally meant as stand-alone sites, and have unique appearances in order to differentiate them from the rest. The UYD was originally designed to be a mammoth site with separate sub-sites that have their own look/feel for a sense of individuality. The larger sites in particular (cover gallery, lettercolumn, etc) represent these. As long as the individuality of the sites is maintained, we're a go.
Todd Shogun
Shogun

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Dojo Help