EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Using Photobucket to post images to the forum

Post problems and requests to the UY Dojo here. Requests include something you'd like to appear on the UY Dojo: Story synopses, Character descriptions, etc.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Using Photobucket to post images to the forum

Postby BuckRogers » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:30 +0000

Dang! It says that my file sizes are too large. I just took a bunch of photos with my smartphone.

Any idea how to make those file sizes smaller?

Sorry about the lack of tech on my part!
The Credit Belongs to the Man Who is Actually in the Arena ....
BuckRogers
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Re: The Gallery of Buck Rogers

Postby Steve Hubbell » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:41 +0000

Set up a Photobucket account and after uploading them there, you can edit the size and then use ready made links to post the photos on the forum here. That is what I have been using since Imageshack cancelled their free accounts.
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby BuckRogers » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:48 +0000

Steve Hubbell wrote:Set up a Photobucket account and after uploading them there, you can edit the size and then use ready made links to post the photos on the forum here. That is what I have been using since Imageshack cancelled their free accounts.

Thanks! I'll try that directly!
BuckRogers

Postby Warren » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:37 +0000

If you can upload them to a computer, GIMP is a pretty nice free program for editing photos, a bit 'photoshop lite'. It has a few more steps and confusing things than Photobucket, I'll admit - I've used it for years and I have no idea what most of the functions do. But at this point it's almost second nature to rinse my pics with it. Levels, crop, resize, little bit of sharpening, bam. :)

For phone/tablet editing, the app I've settled on is Photo Editor in the Google Play store. (Most others just seem to offer you filters and clipart to stick over your photos) I'm not sure if it's also in the Apple App store, or indeed, the Windows Phone store.

Looking forward to see your uploads!
Warren

Postby Steve Hubbell » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:47 +0000

I have also taken to uploading photos from my phone directly to facebook, then saving them to my computer from there which seems to resize them automatically at a decent size for posting on forums.
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby BuckRogers » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:22 +0000

So I joined Photobucket and was able to load some of my photos into the site without trouble.

Then I was able to crop them which cut their file size down a lot but they were still too large (down from around 750 to 450--Usagi site max is 256).

So I then resized them smaller and that further reduced the file size (to around 345) but no matter how much I reduced it further, it would not shrink below 325. I guess just reducing the size does not actually make the file smaller, eh?

I had to stop working on it as 4 out of 5 kiddos and my wife were sick this weekend so I was on doubledad duty.

I'll have to try some of the other things you listed soon.

Thanks for the advice and help!
BuckRogers

Postby Gaffey » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:54 +0000

That's strange. I use photobucket and all I do is drag the image onto their site and copy the 'IMG' link. I've never had a website say the file is too large.

Gaffey
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby Warren » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:21 +0000

How much does Photobucket shrink files? To set dimensions (X pixels x Y pixels) or as a percentage of the original size? File format can be a factor too, though as smartphone photos I guess they're already saved as jpegs, which compresses file sizes pretty well.

On that note, if using GIMP and saving as anything other than .xcf format, go to the 'export as' option rather than 'save as'. :)
Warren

Postby BuckRogers » Mon Sep 26, 2016 23:48 +0000

Gaffey wrote:That's strange. I use photobucket and all I do is drag the image onto their site and copy the 'IMG' link. I've never had a website say the file is too large.

Ooooh! I will have to try this!

I was sending the photo from my smart phone to my email address. Opening it on my laptop through email and saving it to desktop and then sending it to photobucket from there. Then I would resize it, save it again and then try to load it into the Usagi site.

Like I said, I am NOT tech savvy!!! :D

When I get a chance, I will try it your way.
BuckRogers

Postby go » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:15 +0000

Ask any teenager for help......
go
Shinobi<Special Ninja Agent>

Postby Stan Sakai » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:00 +0000

just trying out this Photobucket thing.

Hey, it works. I guess I can start posting pictures as well. This is the pencils for UY: Legends.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby Steve Hubbell » Tue Sep 27, 2016 13:22 +0000

Stan Sakai wrote:just trying out this Photobucket thing.

Hey, it works. I guess I can start posting pictures as well. This is the pencils for UY: Legends.

Stan, you do know that internet forum etiquette* requires you to give any artwork posted in somebody's "Gallery" to that person. So, on behalf of Buck Rogers, I want to say "AWESOME DRAWING!" and "OH MAN, THANKS SO MUCH!" :)

(* Just kidding)
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby jabba359 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 15:48 +0000

The button you want to use is the "direct" one. If you click on it, it will copy the link to your Photobucket image.
Photobucket share.jpg
Photobucket share.jpg (89 KiB) Viewed 3376 times

Then come to the forum and use the "Img" button when posting a reply and paste the link in between the tags.

-Kyle
jabba359
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby Gaffey » Tue Sep 27, 2016 16:31 +0000

Why click the direct link and then Img on the DojoBoard? I just click the IMG link from Photobucket. Does it save space somehow?

Steve, you may want to move or rename this thread. We're are kind of taking over. :lol:
Gaffey
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Re: Using Photobucket to post images to the forum

Postby Steve Hubbell » Tue Sep 27, 2016 19:16 +0000

Gaffey wrote:Why click the direct link and then Img on the DojoBoard? I just click the IMG link from Photobucket. Does it save space somehow?

Steve, you may want to move or rename this thread. We're are kind of taking over. :lol:

I also just use the IMG link on Photobucket, but after I paste the link in the forum, I delete the portion of the link which leads back to my account on Photobucket , leaving just the address for the image itself.

which actually does the same thing as copying the direct link and then adding the [img] tags after pasting it here in the forum.

And I will split this thread into a secondary thread in the Help section of the forum.
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Next

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Dojo Help