EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Another one of Usagi's descendants?

A place for Dojo Members to post Usagi Yojimbo "Otaku" art and fiction. Display your artistic and/or literary works based on Stan Sakai's Usagi Yojimbo here!

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Becky-Chan, Moderators

Another one of Usagi's descendants?

Postby JenBurdoo » Mon Apr 07, 2014 20:51 +0000

A preliminary sketch that I may someday expand to actually make Usagi recognizable, if I can't meet Stan at a convention someday and commission him to do it himself!

A bit of background: This is a crossover with a Keith Ferris painting of Saburo Sakai, as depicted in his memoir Samurai! Sakai was a Japanese Navy pilot during WWII, most famous for flying 800 miles in his damaged Mitsubishi Zero while severely wounded and half-blind. When I learned that Usagi had descendants in Space Usagi and a late-20th-century reporter (Terry Miyamoto?), the idea pretty much smacked me over the head then and there. Not only do the pilot and Usagi's creator share a name (wonder how common it is?) but Saburo was of a samurai family and his feat of endurance and airmanship was worthy of his heritage. Oh, and both Sakai and Usagi took severe blows to the head and survived.

A few weeks ago, I saw the Miyazaki film The Wind Rises, about the Zero's designer (one of my favorite planes), and I finally went ahead and sketched it out.

Last edited by JenBurdoo on Tue Apr 08, 2014 17:41 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
JenBurdoo
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Re: Another one of Usagi's descendants?

Postby ultraman » Mon Apr 07, 2014 23:29 +0000

sweet idea... i've been trying to see that movie for a while...where did you see it?
ultraman

Re: Another one of Usagi's descendants?

Postby JenBurdoo » Tue Apr 08, 2014 16:07 +0000

Saw it at a regular theater -- though you may have better luck at an arthouse. I think it came out in February, so it may no longer be available.

I liked it, though I was surprised to find that the Zero itself does not appear until the end of the film. The movie is really about designer Jiro Hirokoshi, though some time is devoted to the design and testing of the Zero's predecessor, the A5M 'Claude'. As usual, the flying scenes are the highlight.
JenBurdoo

Return to Rabbit Bodyguards - Fan Art & Fiction