EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Usagi Yojimbo Videogames [Youtube Review - Strong language}

A place for Dojo Members to post Usagi Yojimbo "Otaku" art and fiction. Display your artistic and/or literary works based on Stan Sakai's Usagi Yojimbo here!

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Becky-Chan, Moderators

Usagi Yojimbo Videogames [Youtube Review - Strong language}

Postby Eshbaal » Sun Jun 17, 2018 17:51 +0000

Hey there!

Some of you may remember about a year ago, when I made a set of Usagi themed YouTube videos to commemorate his appearence in the Nickelodeon TMNT cartoon. I talked about his previous animated appearences, I talked about my favorite moments from the comics (which Stan was kind enough to see and respond to - thank you very much, that still means a lot to me) and I reviewed the arc itself.

I also shamelessly plugged them here, and I am now going to do the same for the video I just released, all about the two video game sthat have been made about Usagi - Samurai Warrior: The Battles of Usagi Yojimbo (1988) for Commodore 64, and Usagi Yojimbo: Way of the Ronin (2013) for Mobile Phones and Steam.

The video is a sketch review, so I joke as much as I discuss, and it does include some explicit language, so if you're not up for either, now you know. Still, if you'd like to watch, I figured there was no ebtter place to share it than here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbzqRvGyBxY
Eshbaal
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Re: Usagi Yojimbo Videogames [Youtube Review - Strong langua

Postby Maka » Sun Jun 17, 2018 20:12 +0000

Eshbaal! That was awesome! I smiled and laughed a lot. I have never been able to finish the way of the ronin on my phone and I have never played the C64 game so it was fun to watch and listen to your commentary. Well done!

Thanks for making it and sharing. Peace, maka
Maka
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby jabba359 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 21:46 +0000

Hahaha! "You know, I'm not even mad I'm...I'm just disappointed." :lol:

I was hesitant to watch a 20 minute video game review, but as soon as I started watching I was very entertained. Lots of funny stuff!

While I did play a little bit of Way of the Ronin and liked the art, I thought the gameplay was pretty terrible.

Hopefully we'll get the game Usagi really deserves in the future.
-Kyle
jabba359
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby Eshbaal » Mon Jun 18, 2018 14:13 +0000

jabba359 wrote:Hahaha! "You know, I'm not even mad I'm...I'm just disappointed." :lol:

I was hesitant to watch a 20 minute video game review, but as soon as I started watching I was very entertained. Lots of funny stuff!

While I did play a little bit of Way of the Ronin and liked the art, I thought the gameplay was pretty terrible.

Hopefully we'll get the game Usagi really deserves in the future.

Yeah, I admit my videos are on the long side, but that's what happens when I wanna be both funny, informative and thorough. I basically treat my videos like a TV show. Glad to know it got you hooked and entertained you throughout.

Yeah, the art is about the onyl saving grace of Way of the Ronin. I'm not entirely convinced they didn't just grab a base code and slap some assets in it.

Maka wrote:Eshbaal! That was awesome! I smiled and laughed a lot. I have never been able to finish the way of the ronin on my phone and I have never played the C64 game so it was fun to watch and listen to your commentary. Well done!

Thanks for making it and sharing. Peace, maka

Thank you, I try my best.

it's a shame so much potential is wasted in these. Oh well.
Eshbaal

Postby Eltanin » Tue Jun 19, 2018 15:14 +0000

I really enjoyed your video as well.

Regarding the difficulty of the C64 game, I think it's a staple of many old games. When games were shorter they were made more difficult so players could enjoy them for longer.
Eltanin

Postby Eshbaal » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:27 +0000

Eltanin wrote:I really enjoyed your video as well.

Regarding the difficulty of the C64 game, I think it's a staple of many old games. When games were shorter they were made more difficult so players could enjoy them for longer.

True, but there's a difference between "difficult" and "practically impossible". There is nothing enjoyable about potentially having to replay the entirety of the game twelve times becuase ONE random ninja gets a few lucky hits in.
Eshbaal

Postby lookatyouhacker » Tue Sep 17, 2019 13:54 +0000

I would love it if Stan Sakai contacted Arc System Works and asked them to make a fighting game with Usagi Yojimbo characters. After all, they did do a good job with other licensed games like their takes on Dragon Ball Z and Kill La Kill, so I'd love to see them tackle Usagi Yojimbo too.
Restriction Number 666 Released! Dimensional Interference Field Deployed! Code SOL! BlazeBlue Activate!

lookatyouhacker

Return to Rabbit Bodyguards - Fan Art & Fiction