EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

35th Anniversary Usagi Yojimbo Tribute Reviews

A place for Dojo Members to post Usagi Yojimbo "Otaku" art and fiction. Display your artistic and/or literary works based on Stan Sakai's Usagi Yojimbo here!

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Becky-Chan, Moderators

35th Anniversary Usagi Yojimbo Tribute Reviews

Postby Steve Hubbell » Sat Jul 13, 2019 17:48 +0000

Now that some of the Tribute books have been delivered, I thought it would be nice to have a place to post reviews of the book and the various stories which are in it. I have to admit to loving each and every story included in the book, but I would love to read everyone else's thoughts on the stories, as well as giving the contributors a place where they can also read what everyone thinks of their stories.
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Re: 35th Anniversary Usagi Yojimbo Tribute Reviews

Postby miscatonic » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:47 +0000

I got mine today. I guess between this and finally getting my copy of the IDW #! it's time to get back on the podcast horse. More to come soon.
Host of The Ronin Rabbit podcast.
miscatonic
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby Steve Hubbell » Mon Jul 15, 2019 18:46 +0000

funatic wrote:Really impressed with the book Steve! I sent a small donation this morning as a token of thanks.

I especially enjoyed the last story, "Konde Kuma: The Sushi Samurai", by the Robles. Does this character appear anywhere else?

Also Randy Clute is *only 19*?! Man oh man that's some ripe talent. Keeping an eye on him for sure!

Thanks again for all your work putting this together, and send my thanks to all others involved!

Josiah
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby Steve Hubbell » Wed Jul 17, 2019 22:14 +0000

IN REVIEW: THIRTY-FIFTH ANNIVERSARY USAGI YOJIMBO TRIBUTE
This is an outstanding collection of fan created tales featuring characters inspired by Stan Sakai's iconic ronin.

by Patrick Hayes
July 16, 2019

The cover: Usagi Yojimbo fights several ninjas on a cliff in Nobuo’s mind as he sits happily reading an issue of the ronin’s comic book adventures. This cover illustrated by Danny Segura and colored by Tom Luth is a good front piece not only because it teases Segura’s tale within, but summarizes what this collection of tales are all about: how Usagi Yojimbo inspired each creator to make a story in the mold of their favorite ronin. This is the perfect cover for a work in tribute of Stan Sakai’s character. Overall grade: A

Introduction: Ed Moore Jr. explains on the inside front cover how Sakai’s works have inspired him, setting the tone for this collection. I found the last two paragraphs to be particularly strong.

Thirty Five Years: Stan Sakai himself contributed this page that gives an overview of the character and his exploits. I like how Sakai reminds the reader that Usagi hasn’t developed the wisdom that comes with experience. A good reminder to the reader and fans that the character is not infallible. There’s also a little sketch at the bottom of the page that leads directly into Roca’s tale.

“Maki Kun” by Ivan Roca is a nine page that has food with human characteristics acting out the story. This is a neat twist on Usagi’s anthropomorphic exploits and made me smile at each page’s visuals, especially during combat. I like how it’s not simply a tale of combat, but there’s a story within this story that has a very funny ending.

“One Hand Clapping” by Mark Morse and Zack Davisson is also a nine pager that has a pair of ronin, a frog and a fox, making their way through the forest with one of them considering a famous riddle and being attacked by a trio of terrors. The dialogue is fun during the fight and the conclusion of the battle, on the seventh page, is really cool — that was a big surprise and I found it extremely clever. The visuals are exceptional for “fan” art. The ending felt out of place, but I enjoyed this tale immensely.

“Whatever Works” by Conor Naylor is only eight pages and begins with young Kiku kidnapped by Nezumi and his two henchmen. The protagonist is Ushimaru, a bull, and he looks great. I liked his design and the fight that ensues, but Nezumi definitely deserves some focus for being such a frantic and frenzied looking foe. The ending action is an excellent justification of the title, with the conclusion bringing a smile to my face.

Also eight pages is “Wondrous” by Randy Clute which follows the format of It’s A Wonderful Life, with someone getting a wish that they’d never been born. The story is familiar, but Clute puts enough of a spin on it to make it very interesting, with a familiar cast of characters appearing. I really liked the character/device that Clute uses for the protagonist to get a wish. One of the joys of Sakai’s tales is learning a bit of folklore or history of Japan and Clute definitely does that here. I also have to add that the visuals are really, really good on this tale.

“Nobuo” by Danny Segura is an eight paged tale that features the origin of the title character who is inspired by a famous oryctolagus cuniculus. It’s impressive that Segura can cover much of his character’s life so quickly without it seeming rushed. I like how Nobuo doesn’t have it easy in attaining his goal, which is a good lesson for anyone of any age trying to achieve something.

“Of Sisters Mothers and Daughters” by Amy Lester is a fun seven page story with fan favorite characters. Usagi and Gen are accompanying Kiyoko to a shrine where Kitsune said she would meet her apprentice. Given the nature of Kiyoko and Kitsune, someone terrible has been offended and now wants payback. The solution to the conflict is smart and the closing panel’s dialogue seem a perfect match for a Sakai story. The visuals to this story are also very good, with the antagonist looking terrific.

“Felicitations” is a two page collection of thanks and well wishes to Stan on his achievement with Usagi. These are accompanied by two illustrations from fans that look fantastic.

“Ronin Rats” by Paul Montani is the final seven paged adventure, but this is not an adventure in the usual sense of the word. Harvey, Doug, and Stan — all rats — have gone back to Sakai’s version of feudal Japan to meet Usagi and spend a day of adventures with him. I like what they do with the hero, which was a surprise, and the dialogue is outstanding; the Jedi joke had me laugh out loud, having me wonder if someone has actually said this to Stan. This was a fun tale with a really funny conclusion.

Eight pages comprise “A Promise to the Moon” by Marcel Schmidt and this is probably the most emotional tale of the collection. Insects are the characters, putting another tweak into anthropomorphic outings with a young child in a horrible situation making a promise to someone important. Schmidt also packs a lot of line work into each panel making this a story to really take in the visuals.

“Hige” by Matt Nelson is the closest in visual style and execution to a Stan Sakai story. This six page story is quick, but packs a lot in it. The first page features a title that’s very similar to an Usagi tale and a full-paged splash that shows the setting. This story shows the repercussions of revenge, with the final page featuring a cameo by a fan favorite. This was terrific!

The final story is the eight pager “Kuma: The Sushi Samurai” by Roel and Kelsey Robles. Koguma asks his father Kuma how he got to be a such a good sushi maker. This father tells him as he prepares a meal for a traveler, but his words don’t exactly tell the full story that the visuals do. A clever story with very fun visuals. The cameo at the end is the perfect way to end this story and this collection of tales.

A pin-up by Matt Nelson comes next, featuring Sakai with two character’s from “Hige.” The expressions on all three characters’ faces makes me smile. Isn’t that how a reader should feel after reading this collection? This was the right pin-up to include, but this isn’t the final one, for there is also a pin-up by Danny Segura. This is done in the style of an iconic Norman Rockwell cover to The Saturday Evening Post from September of 1958. This is very clever and Sagura captures the warmth of the source painting with his reinterpretation.

The inside back cover: This is a watercolor, I believe, of a Usagi’s reflection in a stream. The character’s visage disappears the higher up the reflection goes on the character. This is a very loose piece, but a colorful one.

The back cover: This features the same top text as on the front, but the square where Segura’s illustration was is now blank, allowing the reader to get an original sketch or signatures from any of the book’s creators. I’ve never seen the back of a book utilized as the sketch cover and I think this is a fantastic way to do it. Very unique and very smart.

The final line: This is an outstanding collection of fan created tales featuring characters inspired by Stan Sakai’s iconic ronin. The thrills, adventure, and heart of each ronin comes through in each story. The visuals have something for everyone, to stories that imitate Sakai’s style to those charting their own path. This is a labor love that left me feeling so happy. I wish other books, by bigger publishers, could do the same more often. Simply wonderful. Overall grade: A

http://www.scifipulse.net/in-review-thi ... AMmpuppcOQ
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby Paul Montani » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:38 +0000

Hope everyone enjoyed my silly "Ronin Rats" story. It was really cool incorporating my characters into the Usagi universe.

Thought I would mention that this isn't the first time my rats Harvey, Doug and Carl have been Ronin Rats. Stan actually drew them first as a commission for me back in 2016. The artwork was included towards the end of sketchbook 14. I wasn't expecting that drawing to be included, so it was a very cool surprise to see it in there.
Next time, I may have to ask him to include Usagi in the art!

Below is a link to his facebook post featuring the commission.

https://www.facebook.com/officialstansa ... 7606369639
Paul Montani

Postby Chopalong Slashity » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:43 +0000

Loved the whole thing! Favorites were Kuma: The Sushi Samurai (hilarious writing), Maki-kun (hilarious concept), Whatever Works (excellent homage to Stan's drawing style), Of Sisters Mothers and Daughters (can't say no to anything with Kitsune and Kiyoko in it), and Wondrous (Randy's really gonna go far).
Chopalong Slashity

Postby Maka » Sun Aug 18, 2019 19:34 +0000

Dear Usagi Yojimbo Dojo,

My review of The Thirty-Fifth Anniversary Usagi Yojimbo Tribute:

This comic is a Steve Hubbell's love letter to our dojo community, including Stan Sakai. Steve recruited outstanding people to contribute. Many of these cartoonists are members of this dojo throughout the years. It's so fun and a source of pride to see your friends published in a comic book.

* Danny Sagura - Full-color cover, "Nobuo" story, and pin-up. The cover: cleverly shows this anthology comic about Usagi and a tribute to Usagi. Nobuo story incorporates Nobuo into Usagi origin story. It is also a metaphor for Danny's cartoonist journey. The full-page pinup has a lot of cute details (a nod to Stan's cooking and aloha shirts. Gen as Employee of the Month). A solid contribution by Mr. Sagura. (On the fourth panel on the of the story there is a sign Usagi's head is blocking that reads "AKA." So I like to imagine that is my name. Ha!)

* Ed Moore Jr. - Host and producer of The Ronin Rabbit podcast, wrote the introduction. Ed has produced 106 (and counting) episodes of describing each issue of Usagi (including this tribute book). Ed claims he is just a fan. But I don't know any other fan who worked over 100 hours (probably closer to 300+ hours) to record an audio summary of each storyline of Usagi. A perfect choice to introduce this comic.

* Amy Lester - Layout & formating and"Of Sisters, Mothers, and Daughters" story. Amy has posted some of her digital fanart on the dojo. Amy's art is always so expressive, especially the eyes. That is true with this story. I love Amy's work. I loved Gen and Kitsune flirting panel.

*Ivan Roco - "Maki Kun" story. Sushi, tempura, handroll, steak and other Japanese food as characters. Such cute and clean artwork.

* Mark Morse and Mark Davisson - "One Hand Clapping" story. This Buddist story is full of humor. I loved the design of the animal characters and each pages' panel designs.

* Colin Naylor - "Whatever Works" story. I especially like the action on page 6. Very clean art and a fun little story.

* Randy Clute - "Wonderous" story. Randy is another person who posted his fan art of the Dojo. Many of use ordered commission from Randy after seeing his work. It is a pleasure to see Randy do this comic story. This "It's a Wonderful Life" story is great. I especially enjoyed the 9 panel pages.

* Paul Montani - "Ronin Rats" story. I loved the humor in this story. And the page with Usagi hanging out with the rats is so charming.
Marcel Schmidt - "Promise to the Moon" story. Marcel is one of the dojo members who got the ball running for the Dojo gift to Sharron Sakai. I love the details of each panel. And it was fun that Mars used my Japanese name for one of the characters. It is a good story with a typical Japanese sad ending.

* Marcel Schmidt - "Promise to the Moon" story. Marcel is one of the dojo members who got the ball running for the Dojo gift to Sharron Sakai. I love the details of each panel. And it was fun that Mars used my Japanese name for one of the characters. It is a good story with a typical Japanese sad ending.

* Matt Nelsen - "Hige" story and pin-up. I loved the simple, clean cartooning in this comic. I love his character design. I loved the pin up with Stan taking the selfie.

* Roel & Kelsey Robles - "Kuma: The Sushi Samurai" story and pin-up (based on the cover of Albedo #2). Roel started posting his drafts of Usagi statues on the dojo that just blew all of us away. These became the Rokutoys series I & II figures. I loved how this story incorporated the different Asian martial arts (and both Kelsey and Roel have years of experience in the Philipino martial arts Escrima) and mythology. It is very fun to see this collaborative comic.

* The back cover inside is not credited but is a fun watercolor reflect of Usagi standing by a river.

* The dojo members who contributed a few words of congratulations to Stan in the middle - it was fun to see these familiar names and their congratulations words.

* I also liked the "About The Creators" pages. It's always great to find out the back story behind artists.

* The teaser from Stan about a special retelling of the original Usagi first story is exciting. Also explaining that books 28-33 only covers 5 months is eye-openning.

* Todd "Shogun" Bustillo, the creator of the Usagi Yojimbo.com website and dojo recalling how this fantastic fanclub came to be from his break time at CSULB (which I went to for two years). Todd doesn't post much any more but I give him credit for bringing us all together. This website has given me a lot friendships, meaning, and joy in my life. Thank you, Todd!

I imagine it is very time consuming and frustrating to produce a comic. And Steve has done it TWICE! That is why I say this comic is a testament of his love for Usagi and our community.

Thank you, Steve and all how contributed to making this comic a reality. You all should be proud. It is better than anything on the comic shelf this week because we know the friends who created it. What an excellent love letter to us all! (Not to mention it is FREE!)

I love this comic! Highly recommended! 5 out 5 stars!

Peace, maka
Maka
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby estee » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:42 +0000

Bit tardy...

But here is my review of the tribute.

https://bit.ly/2lUwMY3
estee

Postby miscatonic » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:36 +0000

Here are my thoughts on the tribute stories, two stories per episode.

http://bigtimenoise.com/roninrabbit/tag/35th-ann-tribute/
Host of The Ronin Rabbit podcast.
miscatonic

Return to Rabbit Bodyguards - Fan Art & Fiction