EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

What other comics (besides Usagi Yojimbo) do you read?

Off topic forum! Feel free to discuss anything non-Usagi related or that doesn't fit within the parameters of the General Discussion forums. Gotta talk about the latest Sci-Fi flick? Need help with your homework? Want to post an announcement of a personal nature? Then here's where you do it!

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Re: What other comics (besides Usagi Yojimbo) do you read?

Postby jabba359 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 22:36 +0000

Gaffey wrote:These are the books I am currently reading in book format as they're released:

Fables
Hawkeye
Batman (Scott Snyder)
Mind MGMT
Mouse Guard
Ms. Marvel

These are all on my to read list, but I haven't bought them yet. Not too much longer until Hawkeye and Ms. Marvel omnibuses come out and I'll pick them up when they're released. I'll probably put in the first couple Mouse Guard books with my next InStockTrades order later this week.
-Kyle
jabba359
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby nekobasu380 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:41 +0000

Gaffey wrote:
nekobasu380 wrote:I'm also into titles from Valiant (Quantum and Woody, Rai, etc.), though I'll probably getting them in TPBs. My latest from them was their miniseries The Valiant (basically a good intro for anyone who wants to dive into their universe).

I read a lot of Valiants back in the early 90's, but haven't read these yet. I've heard they're good.

Yeah, they're indeed fun to read, and easy to follow as well. Almost of their current titles were modern retellings of those you might have read back in the day (it's understandable considering that Valiant was revived few years ago... though I wish I had bought those classic Archer and Armstrong or Bloodshot singles from the LCS in the mall near my office (they're extremely abundant and cheap), just to know Valiant better).

Their popularity's growing these days, and now at least two of their titles (Bloodshot and Harbinger (waahh, still need to find trades.. :cry: )) will become movies 2-3 years from now.

Lobster Johnson wrote:I read everything Hellboy related

Hellboy's on my bucket list. :)
nekobasu380
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby maichan » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:59 +0000

maichan wrote:My current reading list:

Usagi Yojimbo
Hellboy
Mouse Guard
Groo
Tuki

Since members are also stating past and future titles, I may as well too.

A few years ago I cleared out 90% of my comic book collection - about 40+ boxes of comics. I'm ashamed to say that most were never read. That was a time I had to have certain titles, just because, but I never took time to sit down and read them. Many of those that I did read, I kept, but most were given to a friend. Below are a few I remember...

Aliens
Concrete
Ghost
Next Men
various early Star Wars titles (Dark Horse)
BPRD
a few Batman and Superman titles
Gen-X

Some titles I have read, and kept:

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Caravan Kidd
Outlanders
Akira
Ghost in the Shell
Appleseed
Dominion (Tank Police)
Dirty Pair
TMNT
Arzach
The Airtight Garage
The Incal
Fafhrd And The Gray Mouser

(* the lists above are just a sampling, there are more titles that simply escape me, including many that I never read)

A few titles I've recently picked up that are waiting to be read:

Lone Wolf & Cub
Samurai Executioner
Okko (Archaia Entertainment)

P.S. - as a kid, the only title I think I read was Tarzan. I sort of remember getting copies from the comic book rack at the supermarket back in the late 60's.

Oh, and there was MAD magazine.... does that count? :lol:
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby BuckRogers » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:23 +0000

nekobasu380 wrote:
Gaffey wrote:
nekobasu380 wrote:I'm also into titles from Valiant (Quantum and Woody, Rai, etc.), though I'll probably getting them in TPBs. My latest from them was their miniseries The Valiant (basically a good intro for anyone who wants to dive into their universe).

I read a lot of Valiants back in the early 90's, but haven't read these yet. I've heard they're good.

and now at least two of their titles (Bloodshot and Harbinger (waahh, still need to find trades.. :cry: )) will become movies 2-3 years from now.

:)

Seriously??? They are making a Harbinger movie? I have a Harbinger #1 with the coupon still in place at home in my collection. I have been sitting on it forever wondering if it will ever go up in value. That's great news! :)
The Credit Belongs to the Man Who is Actually in the Arena ....
BuckRogers

Postby nekobasu380 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 17:29 +0000

BuckRogers wrote:
nekobasu380 wrote:
Gaffey wrote:

and now at least two of their titles (Bloodshot and Harbinger (waahh, still need to find trades.. :cry: )) will become movies 2-3 years from now.

:)

Seriously??? They are making a Harbinger movie? I have a Harbinger #1 with the coupon still in place at home in my collection. I have been sitting on it forever wondering if it will ever go up in value. That's great news! :)

Yes, great news indeed. Based on what I've read, both titles will be given 2 movies each, the fifth one will be a crossover (Harbinger Wars).

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/04/21/ ... -universe/
Last edited by nekobasu380 on Tue Jun 02, 2015 21:39 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
nekobasu380

Postby Gaffey » Tue Jun 02, 2015 20:28 +0000

nekobasu380 wrote:My latest from them was their miniseries The Valiant (basically a good intro for anyone who wants to dive into their universe).

I added The Valiant to my InStockTrades order so I could get UY Saga Volume 3 shipped for free. :)
Gaffey

Postby Usagi-chan » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:03 +0000

I also read Ms. Marvel. I'm debating whether to keep it on my pull or not...
Usagi-chan

Postby Gaffey » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:11 +0000

Usagi-chan wrote:I also read Ms. Marvel. I'm debating whether to keep it on my pull or not...

I could drop it. I only purchased it because of all the hype it was getting.
Gaffey

Postby Maka » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:14 +0000

Usagi-chan wrote:I also read Ms. Marvel. I'm debating whether to keep it on my pull or not...

If you are debating, it's probably not doing much for you. Personally, it's one of my favorite comics in my pull. I love the the teenage drama mixed with cultural/religious conflicts that is her life beyond being a superhero.

Peace, maka
Maka

Postby Lobster Johnson » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:21 +0000

I've dropped a few Marvel and DC books recently. They weren't bad or anything, but I can only fit so many books on my pull list. I'll probably wait for the trade or get the books I dropped digitally at some point.
Lobster Johnson

Postby jabba359 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 14:37 +0000

Gaffey wrote:I added The Valiant to my InStockTrades order so I could get UY Saga Volume 3 shipped for free. :)

I tossed in a hardcover BPRD vol 2 with my UY Saga vol 3 to get free shipping. Funny thing is that the InStockTrades order was $1 less for both books than my preorder price from Amazon was just for the UY Saga. I obviously cancelled my Amazon preorder. :mrgreen:
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby maichan » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:26 +0000

Age of Reptiles Ancient Egyptians ! Just came out yesterday. I have all the past issues... love this title!
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan

Postby Usagi-chan » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:51 +0000

Just started reading Little Marvel A vs. X , Batmite, and Bizarro. All really good and funny!
Usagi-chan

Postby BuckRogers » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:40 +0000

Just picked up the graphic novel "Infinite Kung Fu" over the weekend at the LCS. AWESOME stuff! I loved it! Lots of violence and zombies and bizarre crosses of genres but not to be missed if you like Kung Fu and old kung fu movies!
The Credit Belongs to the Man Who is Actually in the Arena ....
BuckRogers

Postby Lobster Johnson » Mon Jul 06, 2015 17:54 +0000

Are you reading the Marvel series Master of Kung Fu? The third issue comes out on Wednesday.
Lobster Johnson

PreviousNext

Return to Ronin Ramblings