EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

What other comics (besides Usagi Yojimbo) do you read?

Off topic forum! Feel free to discuss anything non-Usagi related or that doesn't fit within the parameters of the General Discussion forums. Gotta talk about the latest Sci-Fi flick? Need help with your homework? Want to post an announcement of a personal nature? Then here's where you do it!

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Re: What other comics (besides Usagi Yojimbo) do you read?

Postby BuckRogers » Mon Jul 06, 2015 18:11 +0000

Lobster Johnson wrote:Are you reading the Marvel series Master of Kung Fu? The third issue comes out on Wednesday.

I wasn't but I am now! (I had not heard of it but will be actively searching the back issues on my next trip to the comic shop!).

Thanks for the heads-up!
The Credit Belongs to the Man Who is Actually in the Arena ....
BuckRogers
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby Eltanin » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:46 +0000

Ok, so, about the comics series I am currently reading or waiting for the next book (I am probably forgetting half of them :lol: ):

European:
In french:
-Blacksad
-Universal War 2
-Ekhö
-De Cape et de Crocs
-Carmen McCallum
-Tyler Cross
-Valérian
-Okko

In italian:
-Corto Maltese
-Orfani

Manga:
-One Piece
-Fairy Tail
-Initial D
-ID eNTITY (from Korea. I'm pretty much screwed since both the english and french editors went bankrupt before reaching the end of the series)
-Monster
-Pluto
-Soul Eater

American:
-Uncle Scrooge (I am re-reading Don Rosa and Barks stories)
-Hellboy
-Mouse Guard
-TMNT
-Calvin and Hobbes
-Chris Claremont run on X-men

I read some more american comics, but I don't "follow" them, in the sense I am not buying issues of current series every month. I prefer to pick TPB of old runs with good reviews. (I recently read the Longbow hunters run for Green Arrow, and I'm in the middle of the Claremont X-men run, for example)

I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one to like Seconds. :)

I'll spare you the list of all comics series or one-shots I have read and finished or stopped reading. It would be above 100. :oops:
Eltanin

Postby Usagi-chan » Thu Jul 09, 2015 15:45 +0000

Eltanin, what is Fairy Tail about? I've heard about it a lot but never read it...
Usagi-chan

Postby Eltanin » Thu Jul 09, 2015 16:23 +0000

It's a shonen (which means it's primarily targeted at teenage boys).
The tone is kinda similar to Naruto and especially One Piece: action, adventure, with some light hearted humor.
It's kinda classic: the main character is a boy who progresses and becomes more confident and powerful throughout the series.
It's in a fantasy world, with sword fighting and magic involved (and plenty of characters have some weird powers). The story mainly follows a guild in which the main characters are enrolled: The Fairy Tail guild, thus the name of the series.

Overall I think it's a good shonen series, not revolutionnary, but with an interesting story and some good humor.
So, if you are into this kind of shonen (like Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Dragon Ball...), you can give it a try.
But if you hate all of the series I just listed above, it's probably better to look for something else. :D
Eltanin

Postby Lobster Johnson » Thu Jul 09, 2015 18:03 +0000

I started reading Mouse Guard a few weeks ago. I really liked the first book.
Calvin and Hobbes is great too.
Lobster Johnson

Postby Jubei » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:49 +0000

BuckRogers wrote:
Lobster Johnson wrote:Are you reading the Marvel series Master of Kung Fu? The third issue comes out on Wednesday.

I wasn't but I am now! (I had not heard of it but will be actively searching the back issues on my next trip to the comic shop!).

Thanks for the heads-up!

Oh man, seek out the original MoKFU series by Moench with art by Gulacy and Zeck. Because it features Fu Manchu as his father, the odds of the series ever being reprinted is low but it's well worth the search. It combines kung fu action, zen-like meditations on philosophy, life, and violence, along with super-spy espionage and thrills. One of the better Bronze Age Marvel titles.
Jubei

Postby BuckRogers » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:54 +0000

Jubei wrote:
BuckRogers wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up!

Oh man, seek out the original MoKFU series by Moench with art by Gulacy and Zeck. Because it features Fu Manchu as his father, the odds of the series ever being reprinted is low but it's well worth the search. It combines kung fu action, zen-like meditations on philosophy, life, and violence, along with super-spy espionage and thrills. One of the better Bronze Age Marvel titles.

Sounds sooooooo so good!!! I really liked "Infinite Kung Fu" so I need to check out some of the older series.

Thanks for the advice!
The Credit Belongs to the Man Who is Actually in the Arena ....
BuckRogers

Postby Usagi-chan » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:19 +0000

Eltanin wrote:It's a shonen (which means it's primarily targeted at teenage boys).
The tone is kinda similar to Naruto and especially One Piece: action, adventure, with some light hearted humor.
It's kinda classic: the main character is a boy who progresses and becomes more confident and powerful throughout the series.
It's in a fantasy world, with sword fighting and magic involved (and plenty of characters have some weird powers). The story mainly follows a guild in which the main characters are enrolled: The Fairy Tail guild, thus the name of the series.

Overall I think it's a good shonen series, not revolutionnary, but with an interesting story and some good humor.
So, if you are into this kind of shonen (like Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Dragon Ball...), you can give it a try.
But if you hate all of the series I just listed above, it's probably better to look for something else. :D

Thanks! I'm looking for some new manga to read. So far I've read Sailor Moon, Pokemon Adventures, and My Neighbor Tototro.
Usagi-chan

Postby maichan » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:20 +0000

Usagi-chan wrote:... I've read ... My Neighbor Tototro.

:shock:
Wait! Stop the densha! Totoro is available in manga form? I didn't know that.
Yep, there it is on Amazon..... cool!

Can you take a picture of the interior? I'd like to see what it looks like before I go crazy and get copies....
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby Eltanin » Fri Jul 10, 2015 14:58 +0000

Usagi-chan wrote:
Eltanin wrote:It's a shonen (which means it's primarily targeted at teenage boys).

Thanks! I'm looking for some new manga to read. So far I've read Sailor Moon, Pokemon Adventures, and My Neighbor Tototro.

I went flipping through Fairy Tail (I paused my reading of the series last year, so I can have several books to read at once when I come back to it), and I realized I made a small mistake in my description: there are actually two main protagonists, a boy and a girl (that doesn't change much the description since they both become more powerful throughout the series, but I feel like i should mention it). I also wrote 2 other reviews in a dedicated thread.
Eltanin

Postby Usagi-chan » Fri Jul 10, 2015 16:40 +0000

maichan wrote:
Usagi-chan wrote:... I've read ... My Neighbor Tototro.

:shock:
Wait! Stop the densha! Totoro is available in manga form? I didn't know that.
Yep, there it is on Amazon..... cool!

Can you take a picture of the interior? I'd like to see what it looks like before I go crazy and get copies....

I'll try to. I'm not entirely sure where my copy is right now (it might be on my manga shelf, but it might be someplace else...) I looked it up on Google and Pinterest but I couldn't find much. I will tell you, though, that the art is very similar to the animation style (sometimes I wonder if they just took pictures of the movie).
Usagi-chan

Postby Lobster Johnson » Fri Jul 10, 2015 16:52 +0000

Is anyone else reading Batman or Detective Comics? I've been following Batman since the start of its New 52 run, but I only started reading Detective once Brian Buccellato and Francis Manapul took over. I was sorry to hear that Manapul is leaving the title.
Lobster Johnson

Postby maichan » Fri Jul 10, 2015 22:52 +0000

Usagi-chan wrote:I'll try to. I'm not entirely sure where my copy is right now (it might be on my manga shelf, but it might be someplace else...) I looked it up on Google and Pinterest but I couldn't find much. I will tell you, though, that the art is very similar to the animation style (sometimes I wonder if they just took pictures of the movie).

Yes, that the impression I got after reading some reviews on Amazon (that art from the movie was used). If that's the case I think I'd be disappointed. I thought maybe it was different from the movie.
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan

Postby Usagi-chan » Sat Jul 11, 2015 19:13 +0000

I've only actually read the first vol.,so I can't give an opinion about the whole series. However, I would recommend the novel. It has a lot more content than the movie and is one of my favorite books. It is a decent length but not too long that it drags on. It also includes some drawings by Miyazaki. You can get it here: http://www.amazon.com/My-Neighbor-Totor ... or+tototro
Usagi-chan

Postby maichan » Sat Jul 11, 2015 22:07 +0000

Usagi-chan wrote:I've only actually read the first vol.,so I can't give an opinion about the whole series. However, I would recommend the novel. It has a lot more content than the movie and is one of my favorite books. It is a decent length but not too long that it drags on. It also includes some drawings by Miyazaki. You can get it here: http://www.amazon.com/My-Neighbor-Totor ... or+tototro

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check if any local book stores have it in stock so I can look it over.
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan

PreviousNext

Return to Ronin Ramblings