EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Anyone here collect action figures?

Off topic forum! Feel free to discuss anything non-Usagi related or that doesn't fit within the parameters of the General Discussion forums. Gotta talk about the latest Sci-Fi flick? Need help with your homework? Want to post an announcement of a personal nature? Then here's where you do it!

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Anyone here collect action figures?

Postby Lobster Johnson » Wed Jun 08, 2016 14:10 +0000

In addition to collecting comics, I am also an avid action figure collector. Does anyone else here participate in this hobby? What do you collect?

I mainly collect the Mezco One:12 Collective (http://www.mezcotoyz.com). They are made with cloth costumes and have a wide variety of accessories and alternate parts. There are only a handful out now: Dark Knight Returns Batman, DKR Mutant Leader, Judge Dredd (and a Lawmaster motorcycle), Spock, plus some variants on these ones (battle-damaged ones, different color schemes, black and white color scheme versions, etc). I absolutely love the ones I have. There are a bunch more coming out this year, including the SDCC Exclusive Armored BvS Batman and Classic Captain America figures that went up for pre-order this morning (go to the "Exclusives" part of the Mezco website to see them). I'm very excited to see what they will make in the future (a recent podcast confirmed several new licenses, including Ghostbusters and more DKR figures).

I also occasionally buy figures from the Figma, SH Figuarts, and Revoltech brands. I don't do that very often, but I do like the ones I have. I really like the Metal Gear Solid figures Revoltech and Figma have been making lately.

I take every figure I buy out of the box to pose and play with, with the exception of the TMNT Space Usagi figure. The text on the packaging makes me laugh ("I'M THE BLAST-OFF BUNNY!) :lol:

Hopefully one day Usagi Yojimbo will get an awesome action figure line of its own! :)
Lobster Johnson
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Re: Anyone here collect action figures?

Postby Eltanin » Wed Jun 08, 2016 15:04 +0000

I like action figures and have a few, but I don't collect them. I'm afraid of entering the hobby, mainly because I would be tempted to have "complete sets", and would be frustrated with holes in the collection when missing the last action figure to complete a set or a series. I get easily frustrated when a set is not complete (I tried to collect star wars spaceships figures a few years back and quickly realised I had to stop or I would be eternally frustrated). By the way, it's one of the reasons I like collecting original art: a collection is never complete nor incomplete. You can stop and pause whenever you want, and there is no hole with missing pieces.

I enjoy a lot looking at other people action figures collections, though, and buy some action figures from time to time: I have several star wars ships and a few action figures, a few video-games related action figures, and an iron-man.
Eltanin

Postby Lobster Johnson » Wed Jun 08, 2016 19:18 +0000

Eltanin wrote:I like action figures and have a few, but I don't collect them. I'm afraid of entering the hobby, mainly because I would be tempted to have "complete sets", and would be frustrated with holes in the collection when missing the last action figure to complete a set or a series. I get easily frustrated when a set is not complete (I tried to collect star wars spaceships figures a few years back and quickly realised I had to stop or I would be eternally frustrated). By the way, it's one of the reasons I like collecting original art: a collection is never complete nor incomplete. You can stop and pause whenever you want, and there is no hole with missing pieces.

I enjoy a lot looking at other people action figures collections, though, and buy some action figures from time to time: I have several star wars ships and a few action figures, a few video-games related action figures, and an iron-man.

I know what you mean. If it were up to me, I would have every One:12 Collective figure and every variant. But I have to be realistic and decide which ones I really want. For example, I won't be going for the Captain America SDCC Exclusive that went up for pre-order today. I think it looks great, and I'm sure it's a fantastic figure, but it's significantly more expensive than the regular edition, and it's pretty similar to the regular edition anyway. I'd like to have the complete set, but I'd rather save my money and get a different One:12 figure.
Lobster Johnson

Postby Steve Hubbell » Wed Jun 08, 2016 21:08 +0000

Do action figures have to be articulated or does the term include statues and other fixed position figurines?

As close as I come to collecting action figures would be the Usagi statues from Roku Toys. I also have the first Usagi statue from Dark Horse, but I don't own any of the Usagi action figures. Oh, I also have a "Sam Moo Rai" statue from the Cows on Parade event.

In addition, I have some Groo the Wanderer figurines and also some Beatle Bailey figurines, all of which were made or distributed by Dark Horse.
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby maichan » Wed Jun 08, 2016 21:41 +0000

I used to have a ton of Star Wars figures. And a bunch of TMNT.
Most of it is gone, but I think I still have some in storage, including Usagi Yojimbo.

This is what I have these days...

Oh.... and Yotsuba
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby Lobster Johnson » Thu Jun 09, 2016 16:57 +0000

The samurai Star Wars figures are really cool. I don't have any, but I have seen them in person at a convention, and they look fantastic.
Lobster Johnson

Postby Maka » Thu Jun 09, 2016 19:29 +0000

I used to have the Usagi action figures from TMNT. But I gave the first one to Go here many years ago. And I donated the last TMNT (Usagi and Gen) to the CAPS auction for Sharon and Stan. I was really pleased how much they went for. I do still have the dark horse Usagi action figure that I took to Japan. I used him to photobomb my meals and castles and cherry blossoms trees.

I had one giant robot / gigantor one from Japan that I sent to Stan as a gift.

The other action figure I have is Astroboy.

Peace, maka
Maka
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby Lobster Johnson » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:30 +0000

I don't know if this is true, but I saw a rumor on another forum today that one of the possible future Star Wars Movie Realization figures is Jango and young Boba Fett as Lone Wolf and Cub. I thought that might interest some of the Lone Wolf and Cub fans here.
Lobster Johnson

Postby maichan » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:52 +0000

Yeah Astro Boy! :lol:

Lobster Johnson wrote:I don't know if this is true, but I saw a rumor on another forum today that one of the possible future Star Wars Movie Realization figures is Jango and young Boba Fett as Lone Wolf and Cub. I thought that might interest some of the Lone Wolf and Cub fans here.

That would be interesting... I'll have to dig around to see what I can come up with.

I was buying my Star Wars Movie Realization figures direct from Japan, but then they started being offered through Diamond, so now I get them via my local comic book shop.

I also have, but not photographed yet.... Boba Fett and the Ashigaru Sandtrooper. I have several others on pre-order.

Tamashii Nation Star Wars Figures: http://tamashii.jp/special/sw/lineup_mr.html
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Return to Ronin Ramblings