EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

What are you watching?

Off topic forum! Feel free to discuss anything non-Usagi related or that doesn't fit within the parameters of the General Discussion forums. Gotta talk about the latest Sci-Fi flick? Need help with your homework? Want to post an announcement of a personal nature? Then here's where you do it!

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

What are you watching?

Postby jabba359 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 22:26 +0000

I thought it might be fun to keep a thread of what shows we're all currently watching or recently watched and recommend. I'll get us started.

Stranger Things
This is a new show that just debuted on Netflix. It reminds me of 80's era Spielberg: kids on bikes; shadowy government figures; mysterious events (I'll stop here, as I don't want to give anything away). Perhaps it's because I grew up as a kid in the 80's, but this series is a ton of fun and harkens back to when kids would go out and ride bikes through the woods with friends. I watched all 8 episodes in three days. Now the long wait for season 2.

Star Trek: The Next Generation
I'm working my way through all the Blu-rays and am currently on season 6. I grew up on this show and the upgrade to Blu-ray is spectacular! I enjoy watching the "next time, on Star Trek: The Next Generation..." promos right before each episode, as they were copied from the broadcast tapes. It's all fuzzy and low definition, just like the original broadcast. Then, after the promo, the remastered episode begins and it's like a fog is lifted from my eyes and everything is suddenly clear and well defined. The quality difference is incredible. Funny thing is, I thought I had seen every episode of Next Generation, and most of them multiple times. Well, after all these years of proclaiming I had seen them all, I discovered an episode that I somehow missed seeing all this time. So now, I think I really have seen them all. Unless there is another surprise hiding in the next season and a half.
-Kyle
jabba359
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Re: What are you watching?

Postby Steve Hubbell » Mon Jul 18, 2016 22:41 +0000

Just threw in the DVD of "Unperishable Sword" (Koken wa Orezu-Tsukikage Ittoryu - Toei, 1960) starring Koji Tsuruta, Hibari Misora, and Yoshiko Fujita in a story of a samurai seeking revenge for the death of his sensei. It is based on a novel by Renzaburo Shibata. Just picked up the DVD from the post office on the way to work Monday so looking forward to seeing if it is as good as it sounds.
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby Maka » Mon Jul 18, 2016 23:31 +0000

Steven Universe - my kids got me into it. Fun and clever and random. Great songs. Clever.

Avatar the last Airbender. I'm finishing season three. Fun fact: my dad's cousin was married to Mako, the voice of the uncle. Unfortunately, Mako died during the second season.

I want to watch Battlestar Galatica. A few years ago I got to season four. But life got too busy to watch 1 hour episodes. But is a fun reboot and is available on Hulu, which I'm paid for to finished season one of Steven Universe.

Peace, maka
Maka

Postby go » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:50 +0000

Last edited by go on Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:00 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
go
Shinobi<Special Ninja Agent>

Postby Spam Musubi #7 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:51 +0000

What episode did you miss Jabba? I got into an argument with my Uncle on the 4th of July about who was a better captain Picard or Kirk? Picard is by far the best :D

I watch too much T.V.

If you like sci-fi check out The Expanse and 12 Monkeys on Syfy. The Magicians is also very good but the ending of season 1 is super dark.

Other shows: Orange is the New Black, Game of Thrones, Marco Polo, The Americans, Silicon Valley, Veep, Fargo, Preacher (super weird nothing like the comic), Person of Interest, Flash, Arrow, gave up on Agents of Shield - plus a bunch of sports stuff.
Spam Musubi #7
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby jabba359 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:07 +0000

Spam Musubi #7 wrote:What episode did you miss Jabba? I got into an argument with my Uncle on the 4th of July about who was a better captain Picard or Kirk? Picard is by far the best :D

Team Picard here. Best captain by far.

The episode I missed was Rascals, where Picard, Guinan, Keiko and Ensign Ro are involved in a transporter error that results in them turning into children.

I also watch Silicon Valley and just finished season 3 a few days ago. I forgot to list that when I came up with this thread last night.
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby Steve Hubbell » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:21 +0000

A really great SciFi series from the late 70's / early 80's was Blake's Seven which appears to only be available on region 2 DVD through Amazon. Been a reeeeally long time since I have watched any of the episodes, but I do remember always enjoying it when I did watch it.
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby Trevis Woods » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:56 +0000

I will definitely check out Stranger Things...I also grew up in the 80's so that sounds awesome. I just watched The Sandlot with my 10 year old. It was his first time and he loved it. It was great explaining to him that the old blind guy was the voice of Darth Vader.

Summer TV hiatus but when I have time I have been watching
-Impractical Jokers...always good for some laughs
-Fixer Upper...one of my favorites

Our DVR receiver box was acting up so Direct TV had to switch it out and I lost a ton of last seasons shows...all of the first season of Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow, last seven episodes of Arrow, last five episodes of Blacklist(so good) and a few other misc. episodes of Gravity Falls and Star Wars rebles/clone wars.
I will be playing catch up as soon as these starting showing up on Hulu or Netflix or on reruns :D
Trevis Woods

Postby Lobster Johnson » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:33 +0000

I've been watching BBC's Merlin show. I'm about halfway through season 3, and I think it's great.
Lobster Johnson

Postby maichan » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:34 +0000

Don't watch much live TV... I do record a few things from TV Japan or NHK World to watch when I have time...

Japanology Plus
Tokyo Eye 2020
Samurai Wheels
Four Seasons in Japan
Lunch On!
Japan Railway Journal
Cool Japan

Otherwise I'll watch something on Blu-ray or DVD.

Over the weekend I watched the original Planet of the Apes and Beneath the Planet of the Apes. Prior to that I watched The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby maichan » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:41 +0000

jabba359 wrote:Star Trek: The Next Generation
I'm working my way through all the Blu-rays and am currently on season 6. I grew up on this show and the upgrade to Blu-ray is spectacular! I enjoy watching the "next time, on Star Trek: The Next Generation..." promos right before each episode, as they were copied from the broadcast tapes. It's all fuzzy and low definition, just like the original broadcast. Then, after the promo, the remastered episode begins and it's like a fog is lifted from my eyes and everything is suddenly clear and well defined. The quality difference is incredible. Funny thing is, I thought I had seen every episode of Next Generation, and most of them multiple times. Well, after all these years of proclaiming I had seen them all, I discovered an episode that I somehow missed seeing all this time. So now, I think I really have seen them all. Unless there is another surprise hiding in the next season and a half.

I have all the Star Trek series on DVD. Thought about upgrading to blu-ray, but I'm satisfied with DVD for now, even though I haven't watched any episodes for some time now. I was a fan of the original series when I was a kid, so I was super happy when Next Gen debuted.
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan

Postby maichan » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:44 +0000

Steve Hubbell wrote:Just threw in the DVD of "Unperishable Sword" (Koken wa Orezu-Tsukikage Ittoryu - Toei, 1960) starring Koji Tsuruta, Hibari Misora, and Yoshiko Fujita in a story of a samurai seeking revenge for the death of his sensei. It is based on a novel by Renzaburo Shibata. Just picked up the DVD from the post office on the way to work Monday so looking forward to seeing if it is as good as it sounds.

:lol: Leave it to Steve... master of Samurai movies! How was it? Do you recommend it?
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan

Postby maichan » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:47 +0000

Maka wrote:Avatar the last Airbender. I'm finishing season three. Fun fact: my dad's cousin was married to Mako, the voice of the uncle. Unfortunately, Mako died during the second season.

I want to watch Battlestar Galatica. A few years ago I got to season four. But life got too busy to watch 1 hour episodes. But is a fun reboot and is available on Hulu, which I'm paid for to finished season one of Steven Universe.

Peace, maka

I enjoyed the first season of the Last Airbender. I hope to get back into it one day, and watch the rest.

I liked the original Battlestar Galactica. I only saw bits and pieces of the remake, and couldn't really get into it.
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan

Postby maichan » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:53 +0000

go wrote:Farscape.

It's been a while since I watched Farscape. I really liked the first season, and I think the second season.... but for some reason that escapes me I lost interest by the 3rd and 4th season. :oops:
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan

Postby Gaffey » Wed Jul 20, 2016 19:05 +0000

Spam Musubi #7 wrote:I watch too much T.V.

If you like sci-fi check out The Expanse and 12 Monkeys on Syfy. The Magicians is also very good but the ending of season 1 is super dark.

Other shows: Orange is the New Black, Game of Thrones, Marco Polo, The Americans, Silicon Valley, Veep, Fargo, Preacher (super weird nothing like the comic), Person of Interest, Flash, Arrow, gave up on Agents of Shield - plus a bunch of sports stuff.
We watch similar stuff. However, I gave up on Arrow. The acting made it tough to watch. I canceled HBO after Games of Thrones was over. Right now I'm catching up on Turn: Washington's Spies, The Tunnel, Mr. Robot, Peaky Blinders (Netflix) and The Night Manager.

Can't wait for Vikings, The Last Kingdom and Sherlock to come back.

maichan wrote:Don't watch much live TV... I do record a few things from TV Japan or NHK World to watch when I have time...
I like Journeys in Japan.
Gaffey

Next

Return to Ronin Ramblings