EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Lobster Johnson's custom projects

Off topic forum! Feel free to discuss anything non-Usagi related or that doesn't fit within the parameters of the General Discussion forums. Gotta talk about the latest Sci-Fi flick? Need help with your homework? Want to post an announcement of a personal nature? Then here's where you do it!

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Lobster Johnson's custom projects

Postby Lobster Johnson » Mon Oct 24, 2016 17:41 +0000

Hi everyone,
Earlier today in another post I mentioned a video game called Dishonored. This game was made by Arkane Studios and published by Bethesda. It's definitely one of my favorite games, thanks to the rich lore and story, the brilliant writing and voice acting, and the superb gameplay.
The sequel to this game is out in a couple weeks, so Funko released a few POP figurines of the main characters. They're great figures. But, they did not make a figure of one of the best characters from the original game: the guilt-ridden assassin Daud (The Knife of Dunwall). So, I set out to make my own POP using tutorials from action figure websites I frequent. Initially, I tried to make a posable custom action figure, but then I found out I am terrible at making those. :wink: So, I made a Funko POP.
First, I repainted the hair from the head of a Punisher POP. This sat on my shelf for a few days while I tried to figure out what body I should use.
I was going to use a Firefly Malcom Reynolds figure body, but I found a Doctor Who War Doctor figure that would work better. Once that arrived, I painted the coat and gloves. I was conflicted about adding a sword, but I decided not to.
IMG_3980.jpg
IMG_3980.jpg (131.71 KiB) Viewed 7457 times

Then I removed the War Doctor head and attached the final one. This took a bit of work to get it to sit right (I had to remove the head after gluing it once because it was too far back and he kept tipping over). Finally, I glued on the ammo belt thing he has in the game (this was from a Diamond Select Van Helsing figure). And I was done!
IMG_4165.jpg
IMG_4165.jpg (236.87 KiB) Viewed 7457 times

IMG_4312.jpg
IMG_4312.jpg (224.11 KiB) Viewed 7457 times
"Corvo. Come to settle our debt? You'll understand if I don't make it easy for you."
It's definitely not as high quality as the ones Funko makes, but I'm pretty happy with it.
Thanks for reading! :)
Last edited by Lobster Johnson on Fri Apr 21, 2017 20:17 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Lobster Johnson
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Re: Lobster Johnson's custom project - The Knife of Dunwall

Postby jabba359 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 19:15 +0000

Great customizing job! Looks like it was a fun project.
-Kyle
jabba359
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby Lobster Johnson » Tue Oct 25, 2016 13:29 +0000

jabba359 wrote:Great customizing job! Looks like it was a fun project.

Thanks! Yeah, I had a lot of fun with it. I'm considering making some more characters if Funko doesn't make them, but for now I'm happy with the ones I have.
Lobster Johnson

Postby maichan » Tue Oct 25, 2016 21:35 +0000

Neat!
Nicely done custom! :D

I like the Funco POP figures. Almost started collecting the Star Wars figures - it took a lot of effort to control myself and not start another collection. :lol:
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby Eltanin » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:17 +0000

Nice job. The result looks cool :)
Eltanin

Postby Maka » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:03 +0000

I love when people use their creativity to create new things. Nicely done. Peace, maka
Maka

Postby Lobster Johnson » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:14 +0000

Thanks everybody! :D
Lobster Johnson

Postby Lobster Johnson » Mon Jan 09, 2017 14:25 +0000

Over the weekend I made another custom Dishonored POP. This time it's a Tallboy, which are stilt-walkers armed with explosive arrows and compound bows: http://dishonored.wikia.com/wiki/Tallboys. I think they're a really neat design, and I saw a POP at my LCS that resembled one, so I set out to customize it.

I started off with a Dark Knight Returns Armored Batman figure. I painted his belt and cape grey, and I used a thin, sturdy strip of cardboard as armor to protect his mouth. In the game, their eyes and part of their faces are visible through their helmets, which is a little different than the base figure. So I left a little bit of his face exposed so he didn't appear too robotic, and still resembled the original design. I also removed his gun and replaced it with a bow (which is part of an articulated stand that I painted grey).

In the world of Dishonored, whale oil is used to power almost everything, including the Tallboys, who have tanks of it on their backs. Using two more components of that figure stand, I painted them and glued them to his back.
IMG_5211.jpg
IMG_5211.jpg (102.72 KiB) Viewed 6484 times

Then came the complicated part. I wasn't sure how to do the stilts, and I figured I couldn't make them too tall in case he fell over. I considered a few different options, and eventually found some parts that would work: the clamp part of Mezco figure stands. I painted these grey and glued them to a base plate from a Diamond Select horror figure. The base was handy, because it both prevents him from tipping over and has a couple rats sculpted on it which adds to the Dishonored feeling (the game takes place during a rat plague, and rats are common throughout it). Then I glued the figure onto the stilts, and I was all done.
IMG_5209.jpg
IMG_5209.jpg (116.55 KiB) Viewed 6484 times

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, and a little surprised that my solution for the stilts worked. It doesn't look exactly like the original design, but I don't mind; I had fun making it and I have something new to add to my Dishonored shelf. :)
Thanks for reading!
IMG_5212.jpg
IMG_5212.jpg (95.83 KiB) Viewed 6484 times
Lobster Johnson

Postby Lobster Johnson » Tue Mar 21, 2017 14:02 +0000

Recently I've been working on my first (successful) attempt at customizing an action figure. My Mezco Punisher's wrist peg broke, so I decided to use the figure as a base for a custom Nick Fury. Here's how it turned out:

The long coat is a suit coat from a 12" figure. I cut the sleeves off, as they were way too big. The head is from the old Marvel Legends Nick Fury figure. I had to modify it so that it fit the neck peg properly.

Lobster Johnson

Postby Maka » Tue Mar 21, 2017 16:08 +0000

I love the creativity and fun of these projects. Well done, Lobster! Peace, maka
Maka

Postby Lobster Johnson » Tue Mar 21, 2017 17:16 +0000

Maka wrote:I love the creativity and fun of these projects. Well done, Lobster! Peace, maka

Thanks!
Lobster Johnson

Re: Lobster Johnson's custom projects

Postby Lobster Johnson » Fri Apr 21, 2017 20:22 +0000

Here's my latest custom:

This is loosely based on the Punisher's costume in modern comics. The base figure is the Marvel Legend's Walgreen's Exclusive Punisher. The shoulder harness is from that figure, just slightly modified (I removed the strap connecting the two sides so that the skull could be seen more clearly). The utility belt is from Mezco's Punisher figure. The pants are from http://classictvtoys.com.
I started by painting the gloves and boots of the base figure black so it looked more like the modern costume instead of the classic one with white boots and gloves.

Then I modified the shoulder harness, trimmed the pants (they were originally intended for 8" figures), and added those.
As I was doing all this, I was working on another thing too. I had two of the same kind of head from Marvel Legends Punisher, so I modified one to be used as a gas mask head. I originally sanded and painted a DC Court of Owls mask, but it was too bulky. I decided to just paint the mask directly onto the head. I sanded the mouth and chin a little bit so it would be flatter and easier to glue on later, and then applied the paint. The grey parts of the mask are LEGO pieces attached with glue. Once those were attached, I was done.

Anyway, thanks for reading!
Last edited by Lobster Johnson on Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:50 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Lobster Johnson

Postby jabba359 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 21:49 +0000

I'm always impressed by your figure builds. Thanks for sharing your hobby with us!
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby Lobster Johnson » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:40 +0000

jabba359 wrote:I'm always impressed by your figure builds. Thanks for sharing your hobby with us!

Thanks jabba!
Lobster Johnson

Postby Maka » Mon Apr 24, 2017 14:57 +0000

Very cool! Love it! Peace, maka
Maka

Next

Return to Ronin Ramblings