EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Lobster Johnson's custom projects

Off topic forum! Feel free to discuss anything non-Usagi related or that doesn't fit within the parameters of the General Discussion forums. Gotta talk about the latest Sci-Fi flick? Need help with your homework? Want to post an announcement of a personal nature? Then here's where you do it!

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Re: Lobster Johnson's custom projects

Postby Lobster Johnson » Tue Apr 25, 2017 19:02 +0000

Maka wrote:Very cool! Love it! Peace, maka

Thanks Maka!
Lobster Johnson
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby Lobster Johnson » Mon May 08, 2017 16:52 +0000

My latest project:

Nick Fury 2.0!
I did like my original version of Nick Fury, but I've learned a lot about customizing since then and I wanted to make a better one. This one uses the newer version of the Marvel Legends Nick Fury figure as a base. The cloth uniform is from a 1980s Tonka toy line called Spiral Zone, and the web gear is from Mezco Punisher. I painted the gloves and boots black (although I might repaint them once I get some more brown paint) and modified the head a little to fit the base figure. The head is from the older Marvel Legends Fury; I like the new sculpt, but the old one is my favorite. Here's how the newer version looks on this figure:

Thanks for reading!
Last edited by Lobster Johnson on Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:50 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Lobster Johnson

Postby Lobster Johnson » Tue Jun 27, 2017 13:39 +0000

I've learned a lot about customizing figures since my first post in this thread, and earlier this month I decided I was ready to try again at making a Daud figure.

The base figure is the damaged Mezco Punisher I was previously using as Nick Fury. The head is also from that figure, although the hair is repainted.

The original figure's gloves, boots, and sleeves have all been repainted, and the gloves have been sanded. The cuffs on his gloves are made from leftover parts of the pants I used for my custom Punisher figure.

His jacket and shirt are both modified clothes from Classic TV Toys. The belts and pouches are from a few Marvel Legends and NECA figures.

His sword is partially constructed from a Usagi Yojimbo figure! I had a spare sword from one of the TMNT Usagi figures (for some reason that figure came with two sets of his swords), and I combined the blade of that sword with the handle from a Mezco Judge Dredd knife. I need to add a bit of gold paint to the handle, but I don't have any right now.

It's far from perfect, but I'm much happier with this than my original attempt.

EDIT: I've removed all of the image links that no longer work, and I will be replacing them soon.
Last edited by Lobster Johnson on Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:51 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Lobster Johnson

Postby Maka » Tue Jun 27, 2017 15:04 +0000

Super cool, LJ. Peace, maka
Maka
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby Randy Clute » Tue Jun 27, 2017 21:19 +0000

That looks super cool!
Have a blessed day,
Randy Clute
Randy Clute

Postby Lobster Johnson » Sun Jul 02, 2017 18:46 +0000

Thanks guys!

Dang, all my images have disappeared... I'll work on getting those posted again this week.

A few weeks ago a new Dishonored game was announced, with Daud returning as a major supporting character. I am very excited about it, and I would like to try and make a figure based on his new design.
Last edited by Lobster Johnson on Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:59 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Lobster Johnson

Postby jabba359 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 21:22 +0000

Lobster Johnson wrote:Dang, all my images have disappeared... I'll work on getting those posted again this week.

Yeah, stupid Photobucket. They yanked 3rd party hosting unless you pay $400/year. Pretty ridiculous. I would have paid for one of their basic plans, but won't pay for their highest level service. It was a super shady move and I won't give them a dime now.
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby Lobster Johnson » Thu Jul 13, 2017 17:39 +0000

I've deleted all the broken pictures in this thread, and I will be looking into replacing them soon.

Anyway, here's what I've been working on:

I've made a few modifications to my Daud figure since I posted about it originally. I repainted the gloves, replaced the pouches on his belt with ones that look more accurate to the source material, added a bit of paint detail to the boots, and added the scar on his face with an X-acto knife.
IMG_8205.jpg
IMG_8205.jpg (151.2 KiB) Viewed 3457 times

The figure whose head I used on my custom figure came with another head as well (with an angry yelling expression). I repainted the hair and added the same scar to this head so I could use it on my custom figure. I probably won't display this as often as the standard head, but it's nice to have the option.
IMG_8209.jpg
IMG_8209.jpg (142.77 KiB) Viewed 3457 times

I also painted part of the sword's hilt gold, to match how it looks in the game. You can see that in the above picture. Once I track down one of the new Usagi Yojimbo figures I might add some gold paint to those sword hilts as well; it made this sword look a lot better.
Lobster Johnson

Postby Lobster Johnson » Thu Jul 13, 2017 19:32 +0000

Another custom figure I've been working on is Morgan Yu from Prey. Prey is another game from the studio that made Dishonored. It's set on a space station overrun with mysterious aliens, and the story is brilliant. Morgan is the game's protagonist.
IMG_8203.jpg
IMG_8203.jpg (109.48 KiB) Viewed 3455 times

The base of this figure is Mezco Daredevil. I do like Daredevil, but I like Prey more, so I used this figure. Sorry Daredevil!
Most of the work this time was painting. I'm not very good at painting, but I do enjoy it, so this was a fun challenge. The original figure's suit was almost completely red, so every part that is black, silver, or gold was repainted (I also had to use some red paint to cover the Daredevil emblem on the front of the suit). The silver disks on the helmet and suit are ordinary washers and nuts that I attached with superglue.
IMG_8197.jpg
IMG_8197.jpg (116.08 KiB) Viewed 3455 times

The helmet was the most difficult part. First I sanded a Marvel Legends SHIELD agent helmet so it more or less matched the proper shape. Then I painted the black and gold sections on the lower part of the helmet. After that was when I ran into problems. The space suit helmets in the game have a very unique design made of small triangular panels. I tried a bunch of different methods to replicate this, but none of them looked very good. Finally I just drew the panels with a Sharpie marker. It's not perfect, but it's the best solution I could find. I would like to add more detail to the helmet in the future.

I also made one of the aliens from the game, called a Mimic. Mimics are spider-like creatures that can disguise themselves as nearby objects (like a coffee mug or a chair). It's made of parts from some NECA Aliens creatures that I painted and glued together.
IMG_8195.jpg
IMG_8195.jpg (94.36 KiB) Viewed 3455 times

This was probably my most challenging and fun project yet.
Lobster Johnson

Postby Maka » Thu Jul 13, 2017 22:35 +0000

Dear LJ, I like the painting - nice details. What a great hobby. Thanks for sharing. It is a lot of fun to red about how you make these modifications. Great work! Peace, Maka

Ps, I just finished the B.P.R.D Plague of Frogs series and LJ makes an appearance in the last story arch. Very cool character.
Maka

Postby maichan » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:32 +0000

Very cool! I enjoy seeing your various projects. Keep 'em coming! :D
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby Lobster Johnson » Wed Aug 02, 2017 17:55 +0000

ImageIMG_8275 by LOBSTER20000, on Flickr

My latest custom figure is one of the assassins that Daud commands. These characters are encountered in the apocalyptic flooded district, and are some of the most enigmatic and dangerous enemies in the game.

ImageIMG_8276 by LOBSTER20000, on Flickr

The base figure is a Marvel Legends Grim Reaper body. The clothes are all from Classic TV Toys, and his gear is a combination of parts from ML and TMNT figures. The gas mask is from the old DC Direct Golden Age Sandman figure.

Thanks for reading!

ImageIMG_8282 by LOBSTER20000, on Flickr
Lobster Johnson

Previous

Return to Ronin Ramblings