EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Stan Sakai Introduction to The Sixth Gun: Volume four

Off topic forum! Feel free to discuss anything non-Usagi related or that doesn't fit within the parameters of the General Discussion forums. Gotta talk about the latest Sci-Fi flick? Need help with your homework? Want to post an announcement of a personal nature? Then here's where you do it!

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Stan Sakai Introduction to The Sixth Gun: Volume four

Postby Maka » Wed Mar 15, 2017 18:38 +0000

Dear Stan,

Will this introduction be an comic strip, essay, or some of combo?

Peace, Maka

The Sixth Gun: Volume Four
The Sixth Gun #36–41
The Sixth Gun: Sons of the Gun #1–5
Introduction by Stan Sakai
August 23, 2017 9781620102848
SOLICITATION:
The Sixth Gun Volume Four Hardcover collects issues #36 through #41, featuring the Not the Bullet, But the Fall story arc of the ongoing series by Cullen Bunn, Brian Hurtt, Tyler Crook, and Bill Crabtree, as well as the five-issue spin-off miniseries Sons of the Gun with guest artist Brian Churilla. This oversized deluxe collection includes never before seen artwork, design sketches, cover galleries, an introduction by Usagi Yojimbo creator Stan Sakai, and more, from the Eisner-nominated fantasy western epic.
Maka
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Re: Stan Sakai Introduction to The Sixth Gun: Volume four

Postby Gaffey » Wed Mar 15, 2017 18:55 +0000

Have you been buying these massive collections? I have all the regular trades and was wondering if it was worth it to "upgrade"?
Gaffey
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby Maka » Wed Mar 15, 2017 21:28 +0000

Gaffey wrote:Have you been buying these massive collections? I have all the regular trades and was wondering if it was worth it to "upgrade"?

I read the first four trade paperbacks that my library had (interlibrary loan). But I ended up buying the first three gunslinger volumes with the slipcased limited to 1000, 500, and 500. I did this during the end of the year instocktrades.com sales at 17% off cover. The gunslinger is exactly the same as the "cheaper" hardcover versions except:
1) they are signed and numbered by the writer, artist, and colorist
2) they have a dust jacket with new art on it
3) there each have a slipcase with new art.
4) volume 1 comes with three new art prints.

The hardcovers collect two TPB and some extra bonus interviews, side stories, sketches, commissions, and the cover gallery. They are oversized so the art is larger than the original comics and trade collections. The paper is very nice. The whole presentation is wonderful.

If you have the books already, I don't think you need to buy these hardcovers unless you are collector that wants all the bonus material and want to enjoy the art in oversize. It is said that these hardcovers will collect all the 50 issue and three miniseries and the free comic day issues, etc.

I don't regret putting down the cash to go gunslinger vs. hardcover. But your budget is your budget. But since Stan is doing the introduction to volume four, it probably is worth it to buy at least the hardcover or go all in with one of the limited (500) gunslinger editions. ;)

Peace, maka
Maka

Postby Trevis Woods » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:18 +0000

Well I guess Gunslinger editions it is...I have the trades but I have been trying to decide about the Gunslinger editions. This series is so good. I was holding off just to make sure they would continue the Gunslinger editions after volume 3. The overall presentation and quality is really nice.
I saw the first edition in Kansas City when I spoke with Brian and Cullen and had them sign some of my original issues and regret not getting one from Brian.
Other than the volume one story "Cold Dead Fingers", the "Not the Bullet, but the Fall" story line included in this volume is by far my favorite!
Thanks for the heads up on this and so cool that Stan is involved!
Trevis Woods
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby Gaffey » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:33 +0000

Gaffey
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby Lobster Johnson » Thu Mar 16, 2017 17:14 +0000

I've been meaning to give this series a try.
Lobster Johnson
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby jabba359 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 18:52 +0000

I picked up the hardcover vol. 1 with my last instocktrades order, due to the recommendations of a few here on the Dojo. While I haven't read it yet (I was finishing up the Hellboy Library editions), I think I'll put this at the top of my book pile to read next.
-Kyle
jabba359

Return to Ronin Ramblings