EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Display cases?

Off topic forum! Feel free to discuss anything non-Usagi related or that doesn't fit within the parameters of the General Discussion forums. Gotta talk about the latest Sci-Fi flick? Need help with your homework? Want to post an announcement of a personal nature? Then here's where you do it!

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Display cases?

Postby Rustyblade » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:49 +0000

So I want to invest in a good display case for all my UY books and merch. I have seen a few different kind from regular book case style with 2 glass doors to all glass shelfed cases. Can anyone recommend one that they are happy with?
- Jared
Rustyblade
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Re: Display cases?

Postby Gaffey » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:57 +0000

I'd be afraid that glass shelves couldn't hold the weight of the Saga books. That's probably me just being paranoid.

I own the cheap Kallax shelf units from Ikea so I can't help you with quality furniture suggestions.
Gaffey
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby richarddragon » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:20 +0000

Gaffey wrote:I'd be afraid that glass shelves couldn't hold the weight of the Saga books. That's probably me just being paranoid.

I own the cheap Kallax shelf units from Ikea so I can't help you with quality furniture suggestions.

Yeah, me too. Bought a bigger one especially for my growing Usagi collection, but cheap and wood.
Now would I cheat a friend?
richarddragon

Postby Steve Hubbell » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:20 +0000

The display case I use for my Roku statues is a wood and glass unit I found in a consignment shop. Looks and works great. Of course, I would have been S.O.L. if a series 3 set of statues had ever been released. :D
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby maichan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:54 +0000

My 2 cents worth.

It all depends on how much you have to spend. If you can afford it, get good long lasting bookcases from a good furniture store, woodworking store, or a custom cabinet maker.

Want good quality that will last a long time, get some good hardwood bookcases. I have a wall unit that I bought over 35 years ago. It's still like new. As far as I can recall it's made primarily of birch.

IKEA stuff is nice, but the shelves will sag if the weight on them is heavy. Most of their products are similar to particleboard or pressboard.
Last edited by maichan on Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:07 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan

Postby jabba359 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:03 +0000

maichan wrote:IKEA stuff is nice, but the shelves will sag if the weight on them is heavy. Most of their products are similar to particleboard or pressboard.

Yeah, I sometimes worry about the one shelf that has my Hellboy Library editions, TMNT Ultimate editions, and my five Artist/Gallery edition books. :shock:
-Kyle
jabba359
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby Rustyblade » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:53 +0000

Thanks gents, I have a few huge hardwood book cases since I own hundreds of books but want a specific one with glass doors for my UY and other comic collection. I was looking at Ikea but glad I asked since I have so many hcs and many more UY ones to add so guess I will be investing in a good one in the near future.
Rustyblade

Postby Gaffey » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:03 +0000

Ikea stuff is mostly particleboard, but my Kallax shelves never sagged. Even with Hellboy and Absolute editions sitting on them. I'm assuming you mean the Billy bookcases.

If I had the money, I would buy some modern wooden bookshelves. I love the clean design.
Gaffey

Return to Ronin Ramblings