EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Quick Book Review: Lighter Than My Shadow by Katie Green

Off topic forum! Feel free to discuss anything non-Usagi related or that doesn't fit within the parameters of the General Discussion forums. Gotta talk about the latest Sci-Fi flick? Need help with your homework? Want to post an announcement of a personal nature? Then here's where you do it!

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Quick Book Review: Lighter Than My Shadow by Katie Green

Postby Maka » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:02 +0000

Dear UY Dojoers,

I just read Katie Green's book, "Lighter Than My Shadow." It is one of those independent autobiographical comics that is written and illustrated by the author. Katie tells the story of her developing anorexia and binge eating disorder, her difficult journey towards recovery and self-discovery of being enough. It is wonderfully illustrated and you can get a preview of the first 30 pages here: https://lighterthanmyshadow.com/book-excerpt/

Trigger warning: it does cover sexual abuse, the resulting trauma, and difficulty of recovering from that.

In my job as a health educator, I have done disordered eating, eating disorders, and negative body image prevention work for college students. I have also worked with survivors of eating disorders. This book does a great job at showing this fight and struggle is about destructive coping behaviors vs. a food issue. Katie increases the reader's compacity for compassion. The art is beautiful. Katie storytelling in choosing when and when not to use traditional panels delighted me. I highly recommended it.

I read it using the public library app and website www.Hoopladigital.com

Peace, maka
Maka
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Re: Quick Book Review: Lighter Than My Shadow by Katie Green

Postby Slashuur » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:24 +0000

Thanks for sharing, Maka!
I've read the excerpt and it looks great I want to read it all now! The art is beautiful :)
The last pages of the sample remind me of one of my favorite series, Monk :D
⬛ Aldo
Slashuur
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Return to Ronin Ramblings