EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Going to LA before SDCC-advice needed

Off topic forum! Feel free to discuss anything non-Usagi related or that doesn't fit within the parameters of the General Discussion forums. Gotta talk about the latest Sci-Fi flick? Need help with your homework? Want to post an announcement of a personal nature? Then here's where you do it!

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Going to LA before SDCC-advice needed

Postby Krash01 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:56 +0000

Dear Dojo Members,

thanks to Kyle I'm able to attend this year's SDCC. There was a plan that before the convention my whole family take a big roadtrip, but it seems that I'm going alone, because other things came up.
So I need some advice. This is my first visit in California (and the second in the States), I'll arrive to Los Angeles. I planned a two week long roadtrip before the con, but alone it would be so exhausting, that I couldn't do it (LA-Vegas-Salt Lake City-Yellowstone-Mt. Rushmore-Grand Canyon and than back to LA, but that is too long, and too much driving).

So I think I'll arrive 5-7 days before the con, so I'll have 4-6 free days. I definitely want to see the Universal Studios, I think that is a whole day program. An other day is a trip to the Grand Canyon. So, for the other days, do you have any sightseeing/program ideas?
Any good places to stay in LA (not too expensive ones :D )?
Do you think it's worth to rent a car? Or the public transport is good in the city?

I would like to buy my flight tickets at the end of this week :)
Krash01
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Re: Going to LA before SDCC-advice needed

Postby jabba359 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:19 +0000

Public transportation is pretty good in LA between the subways, trains, buses and Uber/Lyft. If I'm not working, I'm more than happy to hang out and drive you around. I generally don't know my schedule until the week before, however.

Universal is okay. I feel like you can see everything there in a day. There's always the usual tourist things here: hiking up to the Hollywood sign, Griffith Observatory, Hollywood Blvd, museums (Getty, Natural History, California Science Center where they have a space shuttle), Disneyland, etc.

The south rim of the Grand Canyon is about an 8 hour car drive from LA, so that's pretty much a 2-day thing. I'd probably do a train, however, as you can grab an 11-hour train around 6 in the evening and arrive in Flagstaff the early morning, so you can sleep through the travel. Then you can spend the whole day at the Grand Canyon and get the 9pm train back to LA, sleep through the night trip, and arrive early the next morning ready for another full day of adventure. I think the train runs about $120 round trip for the cheaper seats.

https://www.wikihow.com/Travel-from-Los-Angeles-to-Grand-Canyon
-Kyle
jabba359
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby Steve Hubbell » Wed Apr 11, 2018 15:11 +0000

Only thing I can think to suggest is the Japanese American National Museum which is someplace that I would like to visit if I ever make it back to LA .... Of course, the Usagi Yojimbo exhibit is long gone, but still seems like a cool place to visit.

Japanese American National Museum
100 North Central Avenue
Los Angeles, California 90012
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby Krash01 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:30 +0000

Thanks guys!
In that case Uber/public transport seems better than rent a car.
That's very kind of you, if you have time, maybe I'll take that opportunity!

Yes, I planned a museum day as well, I keep in mind the Japanese American National Museum :).
Last edited by Krash01 on Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:30 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Krash01

Postby Slashuur » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:24 +0000

Sounds like a great adventure!
I hope that everything goes well. And maybe you can share some pics with us! :D
⬛ Aldo
Slashuur

Postby go » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:10 +0000

Dear Readers,
Please consider visiting Little Tokyo, Los Angeles.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Tokyo,_Los_Angeles
Best wishes to all!
go
go
Shinobi<Special Ninja Agent>

Return to Ronin Ramblings