EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Lightbox Expo 2019

Off topic forum! Feel free to discuss anything non-Usagi related or that doesn't fit within the parameters of the General Discussion forums. Gotta talk about the latest Sci-Fi flick? Need help with your homework? Want to post an announcement of a personal nature? Then here's where you do it!

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Lightbox Expo 2019

Postby jabba359 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 19:53 +0000

This looks like a really cool art expo (or "convention," if you will) that is all about the artists. The "about us" section describes what they're doing and I think it sounds wonderful.

ANIMATION. ILLUSTRATION. EDUCATION.
THE ULTIMATE CELEBRATION OF ART.
After years of holding workshops around the world, Bobby Chiu and the crew at Schoolism have teamed up with the creator of Emerald City Comic Con, Jim Demonakos, to bring to life an event that truly represented the art community - LightBox Expo!

LBX was conceived as a way to bring together the best artists in animation, illustration, live action and gaming industries under one roof for the ultimate celebration of art. A place where we can come together once a year to hang out, share our art with the public, meet other artists, further our skills and educate those coming up in our respective industries.

The event will be open to everyone on Saturday and Sunday, with Friday reserved for professionals and professional development courses.

To ensure that the artists that attend will be respected and treated fairly as we create a wonderful new experience for the art community, we have put together the LBX Advisory Council, made up of some of the best artists and studio representatives in the business.

As we start on the road of announcing what we're putting together here, we hope you'll join us in September of 2019 for the first annual LightBox Expo!

It's being held in Pasadena, so nearby for us Los Angeles people. While not exactly comic book centered, they have a couple of comic book artists already announced as guests (Mike Mignola, Humberto Ramos). I certainly plan on attending, as it should be a great experience.

https://www.lightboxexpo.com/
-Kyle
jabba359
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Re: Lightbox Expo 2019

Postby Maka » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:03 +0000

Very cool. I’ll put this on my calendar. Let’s do it! Peace, maka
Maka

Postby maichan » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:18 +0000

Wow! Sounds neat! I might have to crawl out of my hidey-hole for this one! :lol:
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby Trevis Woods » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:46 +0000

Did you all end up going? Aaron Blaise has a booth there. Check out his work. He mentioned he has sold most of his originals already but he does some awesome work.
Trevis Woods
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby maichan » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:23 +0000

Trevis Woods wrote:Did you all end up going? Aaron Blaise has a booth there. Check out his work. He mentioned he has sold most of his originals already but he does some awesome work.

I know someone that went. Maybe he'll share some photos or give us a report..... :roll:

*ehmmm .... calling Kyle, calling Kyle...*
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby Maka » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:09 +0000

It’s this weekend but the idea of driving to Pasadena is not very appealing to me now. Kyle went last night to the professionals opening. So without the incentive of seeing friends, there isn’t much desire to make the drive. Add to that I used my “husband points” for this month to go see Sergio, which I did see Kyle at. I can’t complain. Peace, maka
Maka

Postby jabba359 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:14 +0000

I didn't really take any pictures other than of Mike Mignola's booth for the Facebook group. I went the first day because it fit my schedule the best and I would have liked to go today, but tickets are $60/day and parking is $20/day, so one day was enough for me and I was able to browse the whole floor in that time. The panels are geared more towards illustrators and graphic designers, which aren't really aspects of the field that apply to me, so there's nothing to justify the expense of a second day.

That said, it's a cool little show and I'll probably go back again next year. It seems well run and the chatter I overheard from some of the artists and vendors there seemed to be positive as well. It's set up similar to the artist alley of a comic book convention, but instead of comic book art (which there was some), it's focused more on animation and conceptual art (such as character design, pre-vis development, etc.), such as the type you'd see in the "art of _______ movie" kind of books.
-Kyle
jabba359

Return to Ronin Ramblings