EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Underrated Manga: Osamu Tezuka's "Buddha"

General discussion (non-Usagi Yojimbo related) about all things Japan -- Feudal Japan, Samurai, Ninjas, Anime & Manga, Chambara films, Japanese Pop Culture, Otaku, martial arts, history, sushi, giant robots, Godzilla... anything Japan-related!

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Underrated Manga: Osamu Tezuka's "Buddha"

Postby Angelcake the Fox » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:47 +0000

This particular manga holds a very special place in my heart..........and not just because its a Tezuka manga.

Recently, Vertical Inc. decided to publish this epic manga tale in Graphic Novel form. Strangely enough, the gamble worked, and the series is now a bestseller. Now, Tezuka's work is available for a new generation of fans of graphic fiction.

Now, some quick back story.

Again, as usual, Osamu Tezuka needs no introduction. He's the single most honored mangaka in the history of the art form. He's also the most prolific artist in the history of graphic fiction, having drawn over 300,000 pages of manga.

He was also a master storyteller, and even his most obscure works are a treat to read.

This is one of them.

This particular work is quite intresting. It is a fictionalized account of the life of Siddharta Guatama. The Prince of India who would go on to be the Buddha, and found one of the major religions of the planet Earth. It also contains some fictitious characters as well to spice up the story.

It is a unique work, and truly a labor of love. Though it was a success in Japan, it isn't as well known as, say, Astro Boy or Kimba the White Lion.

However, thanks to the risk that Veritcal Inc. took, it is now THE most famous Tezuka manga here in the States. He's now well known in the Alt. Comics culture.

.......However, that isn't the reason that this work is so special to me. That reason is......far more personal.

You see, there was a time when I was going through a spiritual crisis. The universe just no longer made sense to me.

Then I picked up this manga, and the spiritual lessons it taught me were profound. Here were ideas I had never seen before.

I......can't really describe it. But after this manga, I began to read various Buddhist literature......you know, books from the Dahli Lama and such.

This manga may have eventually ended, but the lessons it taught me will last a life time.

I can't reccomend this manga enough. I don't think its even humanly POSSIBLE to reccomend this manga enough.

Just go buy the books when you get the chance. :)
"But you should know this by now, Anjin-san. In this land of tears, death is our heritage."

-JamesClavelall, 'Shogun'
Angelcake the Fox
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Return to 日本の話題 - All Things Japan!