EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Writing about Japan and speaking...

General discussion (non-Usagi Yojimbo related) about all things Japan -- Feudal Japan, Samurai, Ninjas, Anime & Manga, Chambara films, Japanese Pop Culture, Otaku, martial arts, history, sushi, giant robots, Godzilla... anything Japan-related!

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Writing about Japan and speaking...

Postby Logan Myrddin » Sun Mar 09, 2003 14:20 +0000

If I'm going to write about Japan, am I going to need to learn Japanese? I'm serious enough about the whole thing now to do so if it is necessary. I just think it might REALLY slow down the writing. It will probably take me six to seven years to get fluent. Do I need to learn? I'm almost certain Mr. Sakai speaks Japanese. Did James Clavell speak Japanese, too? Also, how much research do I need to do before I write? I REALLY want this to be good.

What if it turns out later down the road that I DON'T want to set my story in Japan. ARGH! I'm so confused. Despair. Don't laugh, I mean it.
Whaga.
Logan Myrddin
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Re: Writing about Japan and speaking...

Postby Stan Sakai » Sun Mar 09, 2003 14:31 +0000

Logan Myrddin wrote:If I'm going to write about Japan, am I going to need to learn Japanese?

You don't need to learn the language to write about it. However, you will have to do a lot of research. Reseach will enhance the story but lack of authenticity will damage even a well written story. I've been doing this for almost 20 years and I still get things wrong.

I do speak a little Japanese. The problem is that I rarely have the opportunity to use it.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 09, 2003 14:34 +0000

THANK you Sakai Sensei! Wow. That's such a relief. I'll get to researching IMMEDIATELY!

Hmmm.... twenty years, you say? :shock: Wow.
:x
I WILL PREVAIL!

:roll: :lol: :D

Postby Logan Myrddin » Sun Mar 09, 2003 14:35 +0000

Heh. Sorry, that was me. :oops:
Whaga.
Logan Myrddin
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Return to 日本の話題 - All Things Japan!