EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Postwar Japanese Anime-Manga exhibit in Los Angeles

General discussion (non-Usagi Yojimbo related) about all things Japan -- Feudal Japan, Samurai, Ninjas, Anime & Manga, Chambara films, Japanese Pop Culture, Otaku, martial arts, history, sushi, giant robots, Godzilla... anything Japan-related!

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Postwar Japanese Anime-Manga exhibit in Los Angeles

Postby Maka » Sun Mar 16, 2003 19:44 +0000

Hello UY fans,

I thought those of you in Southern California might be interested in this. I'm a fan of Osamu Tezuka and will the 50th anniversary of Astro Boy is a fun celebration. It's good opportunity to stuff my face with cheap tasty Asian food. I plan to take my family and make a day of it.

I wonder who is going to be the experts on the panels? Frederik L. Schodt appeared in a mini manga/anime/japanese pop culture conference at UCSB a few years back. He was quite good.

Peace, Maka

----------------

http://events.awn.com/eventdisplay.php3?event_no=1626

Postwar Japanese Anime-Manga
Los Angeles, California USA
Sunday, April 06 - Sunday, June 01, 2003

PostWar Japanese Anime-Manga is an exciting exhibition of the popular Japanese art-forms of anime and manga. Coninciding with the 50th anniversary of the creation of Japanese anime-manga's most seminal character, Astro Boy, the exhibition connects the roots of anime-manga with current works of particular international popularity including "Dragon Ball Z," "Digimon," "Pokemon," and " Sailor Moon." Postwar Japanese Anime-Manga features the screening of grund-breaking Japanese animation series, broadcast on American television from 1963-1970: "Astro Boy" and "Kimba the White Lion," created by famed Osamu Tezuka, "Giantor," by Yokoyama Mitsuteru, and "8 Man," by Jiro Kawata. In addition to previously lost, never before seen works of animation, the exhibition features original cells, contel drawings, manuscripts, photographs, and memorabilia. There will be a panel discussion with Japanese anime scholars from the Japan and the US, as well as educational programs such as "Creating Your Own Animation" and anime-manga character drawing instruction. Postwar Japanese Anime-Manga provides a rare insight into the foundations and current context of the anime-manga arts. With the support of legendary anime-manga artists as well as those responsible for the arts' introduction into the US and anime-manga scholars from home and abroad, Postwar Japanese Anime-Manga promises to be an utterly new and unique exhibition.

Contact Information:
Japanese American Cultural & Community Center
244 South San Pedro St., Suite 505
Los Angeles, CA 90012
USA
Maka
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby Todd Shogun » Fri Mar 21, 2003 15:40 +0000

Hey thanks for the post and the heads up. I'm all over this!!!!
Todd Shogun
Shogun

Return to 日本の話題 - All Things Japan!