EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Flora & Fauna of Feudal Japan.

General discussion (non-Usagi Yojimbo related) about all things Japan -- Feudal Japan, Samurai, Ninjas, Anime & Manga, Chambara films, Japanese Pop Culture, Otaku, martial arts, history, sushi, giant robots, Godzilla... anything Japan-related!

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Flora & Fauna of Feudal Japan.

Postby Robert Wetherelt » Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:10 +0000

I've been wondering what kinds of trees,plants,flowers,bushes,grasses and such grew in Feudal Japan? And do they still grow there? I am also interested in Feudal Japanese architecture. Are there any good references for these topics?
Robert Wetherelt
Robert Wetherelt
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby Todd Shogun » Mon Mar 08, 2004 16:07 +0000

You'll notice in a lot of scenes in UY, Ginkgo tree leaves falling from time to time.
Todd Shogun
Shogun

Re: Flora & Fauna of Feudal Japan.

Postby Stan Sakai » Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:51 +0000

Robert Wetherelt wrote:I've been wondering what kinds of trees,plants,flowers,bushes,grasses and such grew in Feudal Japan? And do they still grow there? I am also interested in Feudal Japanese architecture. Are there any good references for these topics?

I've got a book, Japan by the Seasons, that describes trees and plants but for the most part, I just fake it. I use acturate detailing sparingly. Getting into too much detail tends to detract from the overall story or art.

There are quite a few books on castles and nobles' homes, but for everyday life, Japanese Homes and Their Surroundings published by Dover is very good. It has accurate drawings rather than photographs, so is perfect for what I need it for.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Feudal Japanese Flora & Fauna.

Postby Robert Wetherelt » Tue Mar 09, 2004 17:38 +0000

Thank you for the input Sakai-sensei. I shall look for the book you mentioned the next chance I get to go to a major bookstore. Domo-Arigato! Abayo!! :}
Robert Wetherelt
Robert Wetherelt

Postby takematsu » Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:14 +0000

I shall look for the book you mentioned the next chance I get to go to a major bookstore.

I'd suggest a minor bookstore. They often enjoy the challenge of finding unusual books, and it's a blow against creeping Walmartism.
"...[H]uman beings are given free will in order to choose between insanity on the one hand and lunacy on the other..."
Aldous Huxley, 1946
takematsu

Return to 日本の話題 - All Things Japan!