EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Osamu Tezuka's Message to Adolf

General discussion (non-Usagi Yojimbo related) about all things Japan -- Feudal Japan, Samurai, Ninjas, Anime & Manga, Chambara films, Japanese Pop Culture, Otaku, martial arts, history, sushi, giant robots, Godzilla... anything Japan-related!

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Osamu Tezuka's Message to Adolf

Postby Jet_Jaguar » Fri Jul 06, 2012 20:55 +0000

Anyone else looking forward to this? This has been one of my most-wanted Tezuka titles in English for a while now; Viz actually released it in the US at one point, but it's out of print and kind of hard to find.

http://www.amazon.com/Message-Adolf-Par ... 5QZ3CUAH5X

http://www.amazon.com/Message-Adolf-Par ... 5QZ3CUAH5X

"It doesn't matter whom you are paired against;
your opponent is always yourself."

-Nakamura (via Joe R. Lansdale's Mucho Mojo)
Jet_Jaguar
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Re: Osamu Tezuka's Message to Adolf

Postby Maka » Sat Jul 07, 2012 19:41 +0000

I have four of the five viz graphic novels. They were pretty good but the didn't make sense to me. Then a friend let me know I was missing one of the books. :oops: I still haven't read the missing book. Peace, maka
Maka
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Re: Osamu Tezuka's Message to Adolf

Postby Jet_Jaguar » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:56 +0000

Even if you have the old Viz edition of Adolf, it sounds like this new edition will still be well worth picking up:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/vertical ... 9360721637

Was Hitler Jewish? And what if someone uncovered this explosive secret?

In Message to Adolf, Osamu Tezuka explores this provocative idea through the lives of three Adolfs: Adolf Kaufmann, son of a high-ranking Nazi official; his friend Adolf Kamil, son of a Jewish baker; and Adolf Hitler. Message to Adolf is legendary, and readers have been waiting eagerly for Vertical’s new translation, which is much closer to the original material than the previously-published English version.

In portraying the atrocities of Hitler and the Nazis, Tezuka included situations and language which might have seemed offensive to readers at the time. However, it’s Tezuka’s courage and honesty in telling his story that makes Message to Adolf so powerful and moving. The earlier translation toned it down, but Vertical is proud to always present Tezuka’s works as faithfully as possible to the originals.

Message to Adolf is a knuckle-biter of a political thriller and an intriguing what-if tale. But as with everything Tezuka wrote, the underlying theme is his strong love of humanity.
"It doesn't matter whom you are paired against;
your opponent is always yourself."

-Nakamura (via Joe R. Lansdale's Mucho Mojo)
Jet_Jaguar
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Return to 日本の話題 - All Things Japan!