EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

DAIMAJIN trilogy coming to Blu-Ray

General discussion (non-Usagi Yojimbo related) about all things Japan -- Feudal Japan, Samurai, Ninjas, Anime & Manga, Chambara films, Japanese Pop Culture, Otaku, martial arts, history, sushi, giant robots, Godzilla... anything Japan-related!

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

DAIMAJIN trilogy coming to Blu-Ray

Postby Jet_Jaguar » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:59 +0000

I've never seen these movies (a possible influence on the "Sumi-E" storyline?), but I've wanted to for a long time:

http://www.amazon.com/Daimajin-Feature- ... ATXCY7T3PN

In 1966, the Daiei Motion Picture Company the studio behind Akira Kurosawa s RASHOMON and the Gamera series released a trilogy of films that combined elements of the popular daikaiju (giant monster) and jidaigeki (period drama) genres. Set during Japan's Warring States era, the Daimajin movies told the story of Majin, a giant statue of an angry god that would come to life in times of desperation to punish evildoers. But when Majin s rage was unleashed, it could be directed at both the wicked and innocent, alike.
Acclaimed for their serious tone and spectacular special effects, DAIMAJIN, RETURN OF DAIMAJIN and the rarely-seen DAIMAJIN STRIKES AGAIN present a unique take on a monster who is both savior and devil.
CONTENTS:
1. DAIMAJIN
2. RETURN OF DAIMAJIN
3. DAIMAJIN STRIKES AGAIN

Bonus Features All New English language track for DAIMAJIN STRIKES AGAIN

I can't help but find it interesting that Daimajin sounds a bit like the Golem from Jewish folklore:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golem
"It doesn't matter whom you are paired against;
your opponent is always yourself."

-Nakamura (via Joe R. Lansdale's Mucho Mojo)
Jet_Jaguar
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Re: DAIMAJIN trilogy coming to Blu-Ray

Postby Steve Hubbell » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:05 +0000

Daimajin - Japan's answer to the question of what do you get if you mix jidai geki and kaiju eiga.... A very fun series of three films!

Stan did indeed include an anthropomorphized tribute to Daimajin in the Sumi-E story as well as on the cover of Usagi Yojimbo 68.... :D
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby Jet_Jaguar » Tue Sep 25, 2012 21:41 +0000

I have a copy of this on the way from DeepDiscount.com (on sale for only about $9!), and I'm really looking forward to it. This sounds like a very nice set if this review is anything to go on:

http://wtf-film.com/site/2012/09/19/daimajin/

Jet_Jaguar

Postby Angilasman » Tue Oct 02, 2012 18:27 +0000

I traded in my old ADV set (which was going for quite a bit of money a year or so ago) the moment this set was announced. The Majin is one of my favorite monsters, and that old set was one of the lousiest lookin' things after I upgraded to HD!
:lol:

The picture quality on this new set is excellent. The subs are good. The sound quality of the old English dubs is great. The special features are interesting. It's a great release.
Angilasman

Postby Jet_Jaguar » Thu Oct 04, 2012 19:20 +0000

I got my copy of this set in the mail yesterday and watched the first movie. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but people who are primarily interested in it for the kaijyu movie elements should be warned that the Majin doesn't do much until pretty late in the movie (but it does build up nicely to the Majin's rampage, which is pretty spectacular when it comes). Might go watch the second movie in a little while.

I'd like it if Mill Creek put out a new Blu-Ray of this trilogy of Japanese fantasy films from the same era that were also produced by Daiei studios (out of print since they were released by ADV films, but plenty of copies are still around at a reasonable price):

http://www.amazon.com/Yokai-Monsters-Wa ... B00008OTTK

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yokai_Mons ... ok_Warfare

Jet_Jaguar

Postby Angilasman » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:44 +0000

^Love the Yokai films and I sincerely hope that - after the '90s Gamera trilogy and the '60s Daimajin trilogy - Mill Creek decides to tackle the other big fantasy trilogy from the same studio.

Of course, there's plenty of other unreleased kaiju/tokusatsu stuff they could also get.
Angilasman

Return to 日本の話題 - All Things Japan!