EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

RASHOMON on Blu-Ray November 6

General discussion (non-Usagi Yojimbo related) about all things Japan -- Feudal Japan, Samurai, Ninjas, Anime & Manga, Chambara films, Japanese Pop Culture, Otaku, martial arts, history, sushi, giant robots, Godzilla... anything Japan-related!

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

RASHOMON on Blu-Ray November 6

Postby Jet_Jaguar » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:32 +0000

Yay! I've wanted this one on Blu for a while now:

http://blog.criterioncast.com/post/2949 ... vember-6th

Which Kurosawa movies are at the top of your Criterion Blu-Ray wish list? Of course, pretty much any that aren't already on Blu-Ray would be great, The Hidden Fortress and Throne of Blood would be nice ones to have on Blu. I'd also be very pleased if Criterion managed to get hold of the rights for Ran again and do a Blu-Ray (there is a non-Criterion Blu-Ray of it that's not very good; to me the picture quality didn't seem like much of an improvement over Criterion's DVD). It's not one of Kurosawa's greatest movies, but I'm sure that a Criterion Dreams Blu-Ray would be a thing of beauty (some extras discussing uncredited co-director Ishiro Honda's involvement would be great).
"It doesn't matter whom you are paired against;
your opponent is always yourself."

-Nakamura (via Joe R. Lansdale's Mucho Mojo)
Jet_Jaguar
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Re: RASHOMON on Blu-Ray November 6

Postby maichan » Wed Aug 15, 2012 21:40 +0000

Jet_Jaguar, I love your film topics. They make me aware of films I may not have known about.
I have a slightly off-topic inquiry...

I'm still behind the times when it comes to Blu-Ray discs and players.... is the quality of the movies 'really' that much better?
I mean, if I have a Criterion film on DVD, do I really need to get it again on Blu?
I don't have too many Criterion DVD, but I do have "Kagemusha" and "Four Samurai Classics"
I do plan on getting more.... but will my untrained eye notice much difference if I stick with DVD?
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby Jet_Jaguar » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:26 +0000

maichan wrote:I'm still behind the times when it comes to Blu-Ray discs and players.... is the quality of the movies 'really' that much better?
I mean, if I have a Criterion film on DVD, do I really need to get it again on Blu?
I don't have too many Criterion DVD, but I do have "Kagemusha" and "Four Samurai Classics"
I do plan on getting more.... but will my untrained eye notice much difference if I stick with DVD?

My short answer to this would be "yes." Most of the Blu-Rays I've watched are noticeably sharper and just generally seem to "pop" out more than DVDs.
"It doesn't matter whom you are paired against;
your opponent is always yourself."

-Nakamura (via Joe R. Lansdale's Mucho Mojo)
Jet_Jaguar
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby maichan » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:15 +0000

Jet_Jaguar wrote:My short answer to this would be "yes." Most of the Blu-Rays I've watched are noticeably sharper and just generally seem to "pop" out more than DVDs.

Thank you for your 'short' but honest answer.
Maybe it's time for me to finally get that blu-ray player after all. :wink:
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Return to 日本の話題 - All Things Japan!