EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Samurai Comics Again

General discussion (non-Usagi Yojimbo related) about all things Japan -- Feudal Japan, Samurai, Ninjas, Anime & Manga, Chambara films, Japanese Pop Culture, Otaku, martial arts, history, sushi, giant robots, Godzilla... anything Japan-related!

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Samurai Comics Again

Postby Logan Myrddin » Mon Nov 04, 2002 9:06 +0000

Okay! Great! Now phase two! One of my Samurai comic ideas is to throw a samurai into medieval England, just to see what happens. What do you all think of that? Too far fetched, or intriuging, or somewhere in between?

Logan Myrddin
Logan Myrddin

Postby Stan Sakai » Mon Nov 04, 2002 9:57 +0000

Right now, it very hard to predict what will become popular. Much depends on the writing, the art, and, most of all, the comic book marketplace. Good luck with it.

There was a book series about 10 years or so ago called Gonin. I never read any of the books but, if I remember correctly, it was about a samurai who was on the Asian mainland. The third book had him going into Russia. I don't know how far he got after that.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby Todd Shogun » Thu Nov 07, 2002 15:24 +0000

The Author escapes me at the moment but have you tried "The Adventures of Samurai Cat"? An old series of graphic novels that may be out of print right now, but contained a story entitled "A Samurai Cat in King Arthur's Court" which was quite good as I remember.
Todd Shogun
Shogun

Postby Logan Myrddin » Thu Nov 07, 2002 17:55 +0000

I have read one novel (not graphic, though with illustrations) of Samurai Cat, and it was pretty good. However, it was not entirely true to life. I think I have decided to go with Kyudo No Michi. If anyone knows of some good resources, I'm looking for information on Japan, life in Japan, samurai in Japan, etc. Specifically, given the setting of Kyudo, it will be set between 1000 and 1300 AD, probably around 1150, though I need to do a lot more research before I decide. I need resources. Online resources are best, since I've got a small budget which, between comic book creating supplies and Usagi Yojimbo merchandise, is pretty much spent even before I recieve my paychecks. (I just got started on Usagi, so there are a lot of graphic novels for me to buy, and I can usually find some artwork or other Usagi merchandise to spend my money on, so...) But books are good too. At the moment, ANY resources are much appreciated. I'll put you in a thank you note if you help me out! :lol: Any resources any of you know of, just list them under this post! Thanks all!
Whaga.
Logan Myrddin
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby Stan Sakai » Fri Nov 08, 2002 8:47 +0000

Stephen Turnbull is one of the pre-eminent authorities on the subject and has written a number of books. He has a website.

Osprey Military Books has published a few books on the subject. A couple of them are: The Samurai 200-1500 AD; and Samurai 1500-1600 by Anthony Bryant and Angus McBride.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Return to 日本の話題 - All Things Japan!