EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Manga Recommendations

General discussion (non-Usagi Yojimbo related) about all things Japan -- Feudal Japan, Samurai, Ninjas, Anime & Manga, Chambara films, Japanese Pop Culture, Otaku, martial arts, history, sushi, giant robots, Godzilla... anything Japan-related!

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Manga Recommendations

Postby Usagi-chan » Fri Mar 13, 2015 14:13 +0000

I just started reading manga. I am reading the Pokémon books, but I am looking for other ones. I DON'T want any of the teenage drama ones, please. Any other good adventure ones? Thanks!

Usagi-chan

P.S. I would HIGHLY recommend the Pokémon mangas.
Last edited by Usagi-chan on Sat Mar 14, 2015 13:44 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Usagi-chan
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Re: Manga Recommendations

Postby go » Fri Mar 13, 2015 14:20 +0000

go
Shinobi<Special Ninja Agent>

Postby maichan » Fri Mar 13, 2015 15:06 +0000

Never read Inuyasha, but I do have it on DVD.

One of the Manga that got me started was - Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

Recently I've been collecting Yotsuba&!
This is one of my favorites.... fun innocent stories about a strange little girl.

Another I tried is Bunny Drop (only read the first book so far... trying to decide if I want to continue)

And something different is What's Michael? (great title - LOL) and Gon
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby Steve Hubbell » Sat Mar 14, 2015 0:06 +0000

Lone Wolf & Cub :D

A 28 volume epic of love, honor, and revenge set in feudal Japan.

If I could only recommend one comic and one manga, they would be Usagi Yojimbo and Lone Wolf & Cub.

And it is being re-released by Dark Horse in omnibus tpbs.
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby BuckRogers » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:16 +0000

Steve Hubbell wrote:Lone Wolf & Cub :D

A 28 volume epic of love, honor, and revenge set in feudal Japan.

If I could only recommend one comic and one manga, they would be Usagi Yojimbo and Lone Wolf & Cub.

And it is being re-released by Dark Horse in omnibus tpbs.

HA! Funny you should say this! I went on a 5 hour car trip to watch some buddies test for their next level blackbelts yesterday and arrived an hour early. Had my oldest son with me and we went into a local comic shop and there sat Volume 1 of Lone Wolf and Cub in Darkhorse tpb on the shelf. As I have been watching all the episodes in order on Youtube (now on season 1, episode 19) I snatched up the last copy.

And by the way, if you have not watched the TV series form the early '70's, they are AMAZING! And free on youtube!
The Credit Belongs to the Man Who is Actually in the Arena ....
BuckRogers

Postby BuckRogers » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:59 +0000

Ahhh, turns out I bought the "New Lone Wolf and Cub" manga Volume One yesterday.

So just went to eBay and found the non-new "Lone Wolf and Cub" omnibuses for 8 dollars a piece and I ordered Volumes 1-3.

I feel a new set of omnibuses coming on (but at least they are not too much!).
BuckRogers

Postby Steve Hubbell » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:21 +0000

I feel sorry for you if you started reading the New Lone Wolf & Cub before realizing what it was. The first few pages are a definite BIG SPOILER for the ending of the original series.

Dark Horse is also re-releasing Koike and Kojima's Samurai Executioner in omnibus, another great series. A bit different (more like Law & Order: Edo) but well worth checking out if you like Lone Wolf & Cub.
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby go » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:26 +0000

Dear Readers,
I love Lone Wolf and Cub.
Especially when i realized the whole story is about Daigorō.
The 4th book in the "New Lone Wolf & Cub" is now available.
Imho these books are not for children.
I also really enjoy the TV series.
Best wishes to all!
go

ps Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind is an excellent suggestion.
go
Shinobi<Special Ninja Agent>

Postby maichan » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:42 +0000

I have been meaning to pick up Lone Wolf & Cub for such a long time... Now I think it is time I finally do it!
While looking over the DH website I also saw listings for Samurai Executioner, and I will undoubtedly get that too.

Buck, are you sure you found the LW&C omnibus for that price? Prior to the omnibus, there were smaller TPB editions (I think 48 volumes). I think the omnibus retails for $20.

Back to more recommendations...

Usagi-chan... depending on what you like, I've also read and recommend... background info can be found on Wikipedia for all of them.

Akira (Katsuhiro Otomo)
Oh My Goddess! (Kōsuke Fujishima)

Various titles by Masamune Shirow:
Appleseed
Dominion
Black Magic
Ghost in the Shell

Caravan Kidd (Johji Manabe)
Star Wars (Hisao Tamaki)

Recently I've been reading some titles by Shigeru Mizuki (English versions published in the US by Drawn & Quarterly)
Kitarō
Non Non Ba

Some non-Japanese manga
Dirty Pair & Bubblegum Crisis by Adam Warren

These are just some of the titles I've read and enjoyed... there are others I didn't like so much, or I did when I started reading them, but then didn't for various reasons.

I hope some of these titles might interest you.
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby Maka » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:49 +0000

I recently enjoyed 20st Century Boys by Naoki Urasawa. Sorta Sci-Fi/virtual reality, murder mystery, cult, end of the world story.

Urasawa's Monster was engaging too but very violent. Actually both series are violent and mess with your mind.

Captain Rogers, if you are interested in Akira, I can give you a good deal on my collection. :) I've been trying to find a good home for them for a while.

Peace, maka
Maka
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby BuckRogers » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:53 +0000

Thanks Steve. Yah, bit if a bummer with my "start" in the New series and not the old but I'll survive!

Maichan: The listing said that each one is the 300 page ominbus so, unless they are falsely advertising them, they should be the full ones. Hope I wasn't fooled! :shock:
Last edited by BuckRogers on Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:59 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
BuckRogers

Postby BuckRogers » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:57 +0000

Maka wrote:
Captain Rogers, if you are interested in Akira, I can give you a good deal on my collection. :) I've been trying to find a good home for them for a while.

Peace, maka

Thanks! Think I am going to hold off for now. I am REALLY trying to save money for my jingum purchase (although I seem to be failing at this task at every turn!!! Even if I was doing well it will take me a number of months to save for it).

Looking forward to reading the "Lone Wolf" series and I really cannot recommend the TV series enough to everyone. Fun stuff!!!
BuckRogers

Postby BuckRogers » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:08 +0000

Dang Maichan, I think that you are right. Do you know if the omnibuses collections are 2 or 3 of the smaller ones?
BuckRogers

Postby Steve Hubbell » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:13 +0000

BuckRogers wrote:Thanks Steve. Yah, bit if a bummer with my "start" in the New series and not the old but I'll survive!

Maichan: The listing said that each one is the 300 page ominbus so, unless they are falsely advertising them, they should be the full ones. Hope I wasn't fooled! :shock:

The original editions from Dark Horse were approx. 300 pages each. The new Omnibus editions should be closer to 900 pages each.
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby BuckRogers » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:17 +0000

Steve Hubbell wrote:
BuckRogers wrote:Thanks Steve. Yah, bit if a bummer with my "start" in the New series and not the old but I'll survive!

The original editions from Dark Horse were approx. 300 pages each. The new Omnibus editions should be closer to 900 pages each.

Yup, just checked on Amazon. The new DH omnibuses are over 700 pages each. One consolation, though, is that the Vol 1-3 that I bought equal just over one of the new DH omnibuses so I am only out a few bucks. Still, bummed that I made that mistake.

Oh well, brings to mind the saying that if you see a deal that is too good to be true ... it probably is. :oops:
BuckRogers

Next

Return to 日本の話題 - All Things Japan!