EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Manga Recommendations

General discussion (non-Usagi Yojimbo related) about all things Japan -- Feudal Japan, Samurai, Ninjas, Anime & Manga, Chambara films, Japanese Pop Culture, Otaku, martial arts, history, sushi, giant robots, Godzilla... anything Japan-related!

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Re: Manga Recommendations

Postby Steve Hubbell » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:19 +0000

BuckRogers wrote:Looking forward to reading the "Lone Wolf" series and I really cannot recommend the TV series enough to everyone. Fun stuff!!!

The TV series is great. The first season was released on DVD in the US with subtitles several years back, but the company never released the second or third seasons. They did the same thing with the Zatoichi television series. Have you checked to see if the later seasons are available on youtube?
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby BuckRogers » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:25 +0000

Yes, Season 2 & 3 are available on youtube but their quality does not look as high as the Season 1 episodes. I am on episode 18 on youtube from Season 1 and have not watched any of the other two seasons but they are there and from a quick look they do not look like they are as high of quality.
The Credit Belongs to the Man Who is Actually in the Arena ....
BuckRogers
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby Usagi-chan » Sat Mar 14, 2015 13:42 +0000

Wow! Thanks for all the recommendations, everyone! I'll have to look all these up on Wikipedia this weekend. :D
Usagi-chan

Postby maichan » Sat Mar 14, 2015 20:55 +0000

BuckRogers wrote:Dang Maichan, I think that you are right. Do you know if the omnibuses collections are 2 or 3 of the smaller ones?

Yes, the Dark Horse website lists the page count and contents of each omnibus. http://www.darkhorse.com/Search/Browse/ ... 2/PpwNwkt8

LONE WOLF AND CUB OMNIBUS VOLUMEs 1 thru 7 are currently available.

VOLUME 8 is due April 1 and VOLUME 9 is due July 1.
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby maichan » Sat Mar 14, 2015 20:58 +0000

Usagi-Yojimbo wrote:Wow! Thanks for all the recommendations, everyone! I'll have to look all these up on Wikipedia this weekend. :D

Hope you find some that you like!

And let us know if you do pick up some titles and what you think about them. :wink:
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan

Postby maichan » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:34 +0000

Usagi-Yojimbo wrote:I just started reading manga. I am reading the Pokémon books, but I am looking for other ones. I DON'T want any of the teenage drama ones, please. Any other good adventure ones? Thanks!

Usagi-chan

P.S. I would HIGHLY recommend the Pokémon mangas.

Dear Usagi-chan,

I have another possible recommendation for you...

I know about Pokémon ... I've seen some anime and am familiar with the card game, but I've never read or even looked at any of the manga. I would assume Pokémon manga is very kid friendly, so when I saw this I thought it might be something for you to check out... Whimsical & Colorful Hello Kitty Original Graphic Novel Box Set To Debut Fall 2015

Cheers!
~ m
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan

Postby Eltanin » Fri Mar 20, 2015 15:40 +0000

What do you mean, by "teenage drama"? Naruto, One piece, and cie?
I've never read Pokemon, but I thought it was some targeted to kids/teenagers. :oops:

Some personnal suggestions, not any teenage stuff (but not adventure, either):

Monster, already mentionned by somebody. It's an excellent thriller. One of the best in comics.

Also, for people who like "poetic" comics, with a slow pace, that make you think about life, I would say you can pretty much pick anything by Jiro Taniguchi. I like most of what he does. A distant neighborhood and The Walking man are good examples.

I'll probably have more to propose when I take the time to make a list.
Eltanin

Postby Usagi-chan » Fri Mar 20, 2015 17:31 +0000

Eltanin wrote:What do you mean, by "teenage drama"? Naruto, One piece, and cie?
I've never read Pokemon, but I thought it was some targeted to kids/teenagers. :oops:

Some personnal suggestions, not any teenage stuff (but not adventure, either):

Monster, already mentionned by somebody. It's an excellent thriller. One of the best in comics.

Also, for people who like "poetic" comics, with a slow pace, that make you think about life, I would say you can pretty much pick anything by Jiro Taniguchi. I like most of what he does. A distant neighborhood and The Walking man are good examples.

I'll probably have more to propose when I take the time to make a list.

Thanks for the recommendations! By teen drama I mean the ones that aren't very adventure-y, like the ones with two girls fighting over a guy in high school. Never actually read one, but they don't look appealing. :?
Usagi-chan

Postby BuckRogers » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:51 +0000

go wrote:Dear Readers,
I love Lone Wolf and Cub.

Imho these books are not for children.

go

ps Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind is an excellent suggestion.

Yup! Received my original series "Lone Wolf and Cub" Volume 1-3 (the small ones) yesterday and in chapter 2 there is a naked sex scene and while not "very" graphic by some standards, still not appropiate for kids in my opinion. Defintiely PG-13 at the least, maybe higher. Thanks for the warning @go!
BuckRogers

Postby Usagi-chan » Thu Apr 16, 2015 17:17 +0000

Another question: I'm now looking for a good manga drawing book. I got The Monster Book of Manga but it wasn't great. I'm looking more for a book that explains how to draw the eyes, etc. Thanks!
Usagi-chan

Postby BuckRogers » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:31 +0000

BuckRogers wrote:Yes, Season 2 & 3 are available on youtube but their quality does not look as high as the Season 1 episodes. I am on episode 18 on youtube from Season 1 and have not watched any of the other two seasons but they are there and from a quick look they do not look like they are as high of quality.

So I finally finished watching the complete first TV season of Lone Wolf and Cub (Kozure Okami) from 1973 and started season two and it is so funny.

Not to give too much away but one character loses an eye in the final episode in season 1 and not only is that character a completely different actor in season 2, they also switched the eye that was lost! Had me laughing out loud. Still, it is a very fun series to watch!
BuckRogers

Previous

Return to 日本の話題 - All Things Japan!