EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

An interesting article about Toshiro Mifune

General discussion (non-Usagi Yojimbo related) about all things Japan -- Feudal Japan, Samurai, Ninjas, Anime & Manga, Chambara films, Japanese Pop Culture, Otaku, martial arts, history, sushi, giant robots, Godzilla... anything Japan-related!

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

An interesting article about Toshiro Mifune

Postby Lobster Johnson » Mon Dec 14, 2015 18:11 +0000

I know a lot of people here are fans of samurai movies, and I found an interesting article relating to this: http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/12/04/toshiro-mifune-turned-down-the-roles-of-obi-wan-kenobi-and-darth-vader.
Lobster Johnson
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Re: An interesting article about Toshiro Mifune

Postby jabba359 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 18:23 +0000

Thanks for sharing! Toshiro Mifune is one of my favorite actors. I'm not sure that he would have been a great fit for either of these roles, but it's fun to imagine him as one of the characters!
-Kyle
jabba359
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby Jet_Jaguar » Mon Dec 21, 2015 13:17 +0000

I think it would be fun to have a Japanese actor like Sonny Chiba and/or Hiroyuki Sanada in a Star Wars movie as a sort of tribute to Mifune, also because Chiba and Sanada were in a heavilyy Star Wars-inspired 1978 movie called Message From Space (which, interestingly enough, has an ending battle that resembles the ending of Return of the Jedi quite a bit).
"It doesn't matter whom you are paired against;
your opponent is always yourself."

-Nakamura (via Joe R. Lansdale's Mucho Mojo)
Jet_Jaguar

Postby BuckRogers » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:42 +0000

We really need Quentin Tarantino to direct the next Satr Wars film, eh? :shock: I LOVE the new one and JJ Abrams did a great job but can you imagine what Tarantino would do with it???
The Credit Belongs to the Man Who is Actually in the Arena ....
BuckRogers

Postby maichan » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:01 +0000

BuckRogers wrote:We really need Quentin Tarantino to direct the next Satr Wars film, eh? :shock: I LOVE the new one and JJ Abrams did a great job but can you imagine what Tarantino would do with it???

Hmmm, give it an R rating? :lol:

But I like the idea. Maybe a Boba Fett film?
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby jabba359 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 14:41 +0000

I'd love to see a few of these directors take on the Star Wars universe:

• Denis Villenueve (Prisoners, Sicario) - Would be great for a dark, foreboding Sith tale. Perhaps a Sith Wars movie.
  • Joss Whedon (Avengers, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly) - With his great team dynamics and humor, he'd be great to tackle a Poe/Finn buddy film.
  • Jon Favreau (Iron Man 1 & 2, Elf, The Jungle Book) - He's got a great handle on fun, FX heavy films and knows how to blend action and comedy. Maybe do a standalone Yoda story.
  • James Gunn (Super, Guardians of the Galaxy) - Another guy that knows how to tackle FX heavy films, while blending comedy, action, and character development. I think he could do a really fun Stormtrooper movie, Star Wars: Troopers

(That's a whole lot of J-names, especially if we factor in JJ directing Episode VII :shock:)
-Kyle
jabba359
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Return to 日本の話題 - All Things Japan!