EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Samurai Comics just one last time.

General discussion (non-Usagi Yojimbo related) about all things Japan -- Feudal Japan, Samurai, Ninjas, Anime & Manga, Chambara films, Japanese Pop Culture, Otaku, martial arts, history, sushi, giant robots, Godzilla... anything Japan-related!

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Samurai Comics just one last time.

Postby Logan Myrddin » Tue Nov 05, 2002 9:40 +0000

Okay, now here's the final clincher, and PLEASE don't think I'm just trying to rip off Usagi. I've fallen in love with it, and so I AM imitating a bit, I will admit, but I was wondering what you all would think of another Funny Animal Samurai Comic. Now is this going too far, and do I need to do my comic in another style, or is it possible for me to do this without being scorned and labled a thief. That's the last thing I want, since I'm hoping people will actually read my comic. So if I shouldn't do Funny Animals, just let me know.
Logan Myrddin

Postby digulla » Tue Nov 05, 2002 12:10 +0000

Well, you could always call them furry and Stan doesn't seem to mind if an Usagi cameo appears somewhere but there is a fine line between "looks like" and "IP theft" even if Stan is very generous with it (I can tell; see my homepage - I'm very much on the ... uh ... "IP theft" side :shock: ahem).

But Stan also included other comics in the UY comics for some time. Maybe you should draw a short story (2-10 pages) and send it to him with the wish to publish it in UY. If he likes it, you might have found a future.

At least that's what I would do... YMMV
Aaron Digulla a.k.a. Philmann Dark
"It's not the universe that's limited, it's our imagination.
Follow me and I'll show you something beyond the limits."
http://www.philmann-dark.de/
digulla
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby Stan Sakai » Tue Nov 05, 2002 13:53 +0000

digulla wrote:But Stan also included other comics in the UY comics for some time. Maybe you should draw a short story (2-10 pages) and send it to him with the wish to publish it in UY.

We'd discontinued the back-up feature in the comic books for quite awhile, since going over to Dark Horse.

On the subject of another funny animal samurai series: by all means go with it if you feel that would be the best way to present your stories. Perhaps you can put a couple of pages on a web site and post a link so we can all see a preview.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Funny animal samurai comics

Postby Steve » Tue Nov 05, 2002 14:03 +0000

I hope your comic works out better than that other funny animal samurai comic of the 80's - Samurai Squirrel - it only lasted for two issues. Then again, there was also the comic that featured a samurai walrus which didn't last too long either...
Abayo,
Steve hubbell
Steve

Re: Funny animal samurai comics

Postby Stan Sakai » Tue Nov 05, 2002 23:12 +0000

Steve wrote:I hope your comic works out better than that other funny animal samurai comic of the 80's - Samurai Squirrel - it only lasted for two issues. Then again, there was also the comic that featured a samurai walrus which didn't last too long either...

That was Zatoichi Walrus. And don't forget Samurai Penguin.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Animal Comics

Postby Gaffey » Wed Nov 06, 2002 7:54 +0000

This discussion reminded me of Rocket Raccoon from the mid 80's (Marvel). Not Samurai related, but a good series by Mike Mignola (I think). I guess 4 issues was enough for everyone. :)

Anyone remember this book??
Gaffey
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Fun with comics

Postby 4NT » Thu Dec 19, 2002 19:09 +0000

Do I! Rocket Raccoon should have lasted a few more issues at least, after all Bucky O'Hare made it to issue #5. There was Hamster Vice, Pre Teen Dirty Gene Kung Fu Kangaroo's, uh....whoops. I'm getting carried away.
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.

-Buddha
4NT
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Return to 日本の話題 - All Things Japan!