EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

The Gallery of Wily Pueo

Show off your original artwork collection here! Create an online gallery and post your Stan Sakai portfolio drawings, original cover art, convention sketches, paintings, commissioned pieces, original pages, and whatever else you may have.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

The Gallery of Wily Pueo

Postby Wily Pueo » Tue Jun 17, 2008 23:33 +0000

Most of you have seen all these already. The thumbnails link to my galleries at comicartfans; hopefully that's not frowned on--just the easiest way to do this post.

1980s

1990s

2000+

EDIT: HTML Disallowed? The images/links look fine on preview . . . Oh well.

EDIT2: Reposted with BBCode--Thanks Mayhem for working that out for me.
Last edited by Wily Pueo on Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:27 +0000, edited 2 times in total.
Wily Pueo
Shinobi<Special Ninja Agent>

The best!

Postby Maka » Wed Jun 18, 2008 0:05 +0000

Hello Wily Pueo,

I know this has been said before, but you have the best collection of UY original art (next to Mr. Sakai).

I will always love the commission art that has everyone in the UY universe at the kite festival. Great idea for a commission. How long did that take Mr. Sakai to complete?

Peace, maka
Maka
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby Wily Pueo » Wed Jun 18, 2008 0:17 +0000

It's been a while now, so my memories on the details are a bit sketchy. But, I believe it was about 2 years from the time I requested the commission to the time Stan was able to complete it. I think the main reason behind the delay was so that Stan could work the commission into a spot where he could also use it for publication.
Wily Pueo

Postby Fanfan » Wed Jun 18, 2008 0:29 +0000

Hello,

You have a wonderful collection, thanks to share. I agree with Maka you have the best collection ever seen.
I really like the sketchy ones that we do not see often (like the invocation of the turtles)

Thanks for the story about the Kite fest.
Fanfan

Postby Mayhem » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:59 +0000

Re-edited for BBCode 8)

1980s

1990s

2000+
With a breeze comes a storm, but then you'll all be washed away...
Mayhem

Postby Mayhem » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:10 +0000

And to add on top, yeah... your sets are something else, I thought I had a few originals heh... nothing like this... yet! :lol:

Mind you, it's just made me realise, and I hadn't seen this until now... the coloured piece I have from 1986 is an almost perfect recreation of the Critters 3 cover... check for yourself against your b/w original, but mine actually shows the person facing Usagi...

http://www.comicartfans.com/Images/Cate ... tters3.jpg

VS

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1177/621 ... ea51d0.jpg
With a breeze comes a storm, but then you'll all be washed away...
Mayhem

Postby Stan Sakai » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:31 +0000

Hi David,

Nice to see you back on the boards. Are you going to San Diego this year? We haven't seen you for awhile.

That Kite Festival took about 2 years, mainly because I could not find a length of free time long enough to draw it. I tend to concentrate on one project at a time, working it to completion. The thought of using it as a cover (and consequent poster) did not come until later.

We had a couple of ideas for the format of the drawing--making it as one long piece, or as two double-page spreads. Wily chose the double-page format. Also, the original artwork can fit together at either end, not so with the printed versions because they had to crop the art on one side.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby Wily Pueo » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:41 +0000

@Mayhem: Actually I did notice that about your colour piece since I browsed through all the galleries before posting mine. There are a couple pieces that I let slip through my fingers that still annoy me a tad believe it or not (I can see Stan shaking his head)--particularly the Fish Fighting Cover (issue number escapes me at the moment) and the original art to one of the prints which I had not thought to ask about. Mahalo for providing the BBCode from my original HTML.

@Stan: Right, I should have clarified that I meant it took a while for you to find time to fit it into your very tight schedule and that working the commission to be used as covers allowed this to happen more easily. I remain very happy with how everything turned out :) No SDCC for me this year I am afraid. It has lost a little lustre for me and the ever burgeoning crowds are really turning me off (you perhaps remember how shell shocked I was that first year back in the mid 1990s and now, wow, really nuts). Finding a decent hotel relatively close to the con has become quite ridiculous as well. All that said, I still leave the dates open on my calendar though just in case . . .
Wily Pueo

Postby Hans » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:50 +0000

this surely is something else. wow!! thx for sharing.
Hans
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Return to Stan Sakai Art Gallery