EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

The Gallery of Krash01

Show off your original artwork collection here! Create an online gallery and post your Stan Sakai portfolio drawings, original cover art, convention sketches, paintings, commissioned pieces, original pages, and whatever else you may have.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Re: The Gallery of Krash01

Postby Lobster Johnson » Wed Mar 02, 2016 13:42 +0000

Krash01 wrote:
Lobster Johnson wrote:Great commission! Stan draws great castles. Which castle is that?

Vajdahunyad castle in Budapest, Hungary.
This picture was used for the commission:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... %A9len.JPG

That's a beautiful castle (and my new computer background! :wink: ). One of the things I love about Nilson and Hermy is seeing how Stan draws the European architecture. :)
Lobster Johnson
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby Mayhem » Wed Mar 02, 2016 13:56 +0000

Steve Hubbell wrote:Any chance you had Stan do a sketch in your UY Dojo 20th Anniversary Special?

All the books had a Stan sketch in them already :)
With a breeze comes a storm, but then you'll all be washed away...
Mayhem
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby Krash01 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 13:01 +0000

So, it is time to update my gallery as well :).

Finally, the original art of the Saga #7 tip-in plate has arrived, I’ve been waiting for this piece since April.
(The short story of how I found it: I was driving home in the usual Friday afternoon rushhour in Budapest. While I was waiting in a long queue, I was browsing Facebook on my phone and just that time Stan posted this art on his FB page. At first sight I knew that I needed this piece, it is so perfect. As soon as I got home, I contacted Stan about purchasing it and six months later it is on my wall.)

The second piece is the tip-in art of Saga #2. I've always wanted a Jei piece, and found this one among Kyle's SDCC pictures (thanks again Kyle for your help in the buying process).

I also got Saga #6 and #7.
This time I asked Julie to draw something for me in Saga #6, and she drew this amazing chibi Jei, thank You so much!! (as a bonus I got a head sketch as well from Stan).

For the two watercolors I tried a new type of mat, called suede. It is hardly visible on the photos, but they have a very nice surface.
(Just a short notice: Nowadays I frame the arts myself (except cutting the mat and the frame, 'cause I don't have the tools). During the framing process I use only museum quality materials. If someone is interested how I do it, next time I can post a step by step tutorial with pictures.)
Krash01

Postby jabba359 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 22:23 +0000

Those are some great looking frames. Congrats on a excellent artwork and I'm glad I could be a small part in helping you get that Jei!

That Jei sketch in your book by Julie is adorable. I can't wait to see her collaboration story in issue #160.
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby Eltanin » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:34 +0000

Congrats on the beautiful pieces.
And I would definitely be interested in a How-to-frame tutorial. :)
Eltanin

Postby Krash01 » Sat May 06, 2017 16:15 +0000

My recent purchase (it is awesome by the way, I absolutely love it) arrived a couple of days ago (after a long and expensive wait at the customs), so it's a good occasion to post a step by step about how I do a quality framing at home.
Here are the tools that I use:

Metal rulers, masking tape, olfa mat cutter, olfa knife, Filmoplast P90 plus tape, pencil, rubber, nails, plier
And I forgot to add these to the picture:
Henzo photo splits, 100% acid free board, decorative matboard, greyboard, art ready frame, anti glare glass

So the first step is to buy an art ready frame (for example in IKEA). Ususally these frames come with a glass or plexi. I prefer anti-glare glass, so I asked a framer friend of mine to cut one for me. Musem quality glass (100% UV protection) is also a possibility, but it is really expensive and an art conservator friend of mine told me, that in a home environment it is unnecessary. Just don’t hang the art in direct sunglight, opposite the window, or above heat. The best place is a darker wall of the room. The more important thing is that only 100% acid free paper get in contact with the art. So next, I measure the inside of the frame, and cut two 100% acid free boards (usually these are called "museum rag"). One of them is going to be the backing board of the art, the other the inner mat. After it, I measure the image area of the art, and draw it on one of the boards. Then I cut the window with a mat cutter. It's very easy to slip, and the whole board is ruined, so I have to be careful.
This mat going to be the inner one. For the outer mat, I use decorative matboard, in this case, a plush coated one. (Museum quality matboards are not so decorative, only white and its shades are available). I prefer when 0.5-1 cm (0.2”-0.4”) inner mat is visible, so I measure a bit bigger window than before, and cut the outer mat. When the cutting is ready, I stick together the inner and outer mat with henzo photo splits (the spilts are sticky on both sides).
The next step is hanging the art on the backing board. The best way is to use the so-called „T-hinge” method. It's very important to use only 100% acid free tape. Never, ever use cellotape, masking tape, etc. becuse those are very hamrful for an original art. Over time, the tapes will leak their residue into the paper, and it's very hard and expensive to restore it. I always use Filmoplast P90 Plus. This tape is specially designed for hanging art. 100% acid free, won’t harm the paper and removable. So I make the T-hinges (two on the top of the art).
I position the art in the frame and if everything looks good, put a greyboard in the back of the frame as a final backing. Then I push nails around it, they secure everything in the frame. Finally I apply masking tape around the back (it keeps the dust and bugs out).
The art is ready to hang 8)
Krash01

Postby Maka » Sat May 06, 2017 17:35 +0000

Looks really good. Nice progressional framing for s excellent piece of art! Thanks for sharing. Peace, maka
Maka

Postby Lobster Johnson » Sat May 06, 2017 19:39 +0000

The art is very cool, and the frame looks great. I enjoyed seeing the whole process.
Lobster Johnson

Postby BuckRogers » Mon May 08, 2017 3:10 +0000

Beautiful piece beautifully framed!

Well done.
The Credit Belongs to the Man Who is Actually in the Arena ....
BuckRogers

Postby Krash01 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:10 +0000

I got some new pieces in the past few months (and some others have new frames):
The Usagi wall:

The top piece is a fan-art (me vs. Jei) by Koska Zoli:

Prints:

A Groo splash page signed by Stan&Sergio:
Last edited by Krash01 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 16:45 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Krash01

Postby Steve Hubbell » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:05 +0000

Really nice, really impressive collection of art!

Love the piece by Koska Zoli, very unique style while still capturing Stan's spirit or essence (?)
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby Eltanin » Thu Nov 02, 2017 17:19 +0000

Beautiful collection. Love how you frame and display them. :D
Eltanin

Postby Gaffey » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:20 +0000

The multiple character "winter" commissions are fantastic.
Gaffey
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby go » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:01 +0000

Magnificent.
go
Shinobi<Special Ninja Agent>

Postby jabba359 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 19:55 +0000

That's quite the epic collection you have there.
-Kyle
jabba359

PreviousNext

Return to Stan Sakai Art Gallery