EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Comments on Usagi #89 (spoiler)

General discussion about Usagi Yojimbo, the comics, the stories, the characters, collectibles, TV appearances, Stan Sakai, Space Usagi, Nilson & Hermy, and all other related topics.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Comments on Usagi #89 (spoiler)

Postby kchishol1970 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 19:54 +0000

It would appear that we have a new recurring enemy in the mix. I'm looking forward to a toe to toe where Noriko learns how good Tomoe REALLY is!

Congratulations Motokazu! You've done your father proud with courage and cunning that will make you a fine samurai! However, given his alarm at overhearing Lord Noriyuki's plan to shackle Tomoe with marriage, I'm surprised he hasn't apparently warned her yet of this.

But still there is the most delicious mystery; anyone care to speculate how much signficance there is in Tomoe asking for Usagi's company that night after her bad dream? I know logically Usagi would probably be thinking too much of his previous indiscretion with Mariko to be open to sex, but it still suggests that the pair might be coming to grips with the fact that they are becoming something more than friends.

What do you think?
kchishol1970
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Re: Comments on Usagi #89 (spoiler)

Postby Steve Hubbell » Fri Dec 02, 2005 20:15 +0000

kchishol1970 wrote:It would appear that we have a new recurring enemy in the mix. I'm looking forward to a toe to toe where Noriko learns how good Tomoe REALLY is!

Congratulations Motokazu! You've done your father proud with courage and cunning that will make you a fine samurai! However, given his alarm at overhearing Lord Noriyuki's plan to shackle Tomoe with marriage, I'm surprised he hasn't apparently warned her yet of this.

But still there is the most delicious mystery; anyone care to speculate how much signficance there is in Tomoe asking for Usagi's company that night after her bad dream? I know logically Usagi would probably be thinking too much of his previous indiscretion with Mariko to be open to sex, but it still suggests that the pair might be coming to grips with the fact that they are becoming something more than friends.

What do you think?

Monkey wrench throwing time....

What are the chances that Lord Noriyuki's plans to shackle Tomoe in marriage also include the newly promoted samurai Motokazu? Obviously, Motokazu cares enough about Tomoe to risk his position and life to go in search of her when he thought she might be in danger. It kind of makes me wonder just how young Tomoe is currently.

Abayo.... 8)
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby estee » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:08 +0000

I can't see Motokazu becoming married with Tomoe. I don't think her family would allow it. Honourable Samurai that he is, there is the fact that his family line is not that prominant any more. I don't think it would be proper.
estee

Postby Todd Shogun » Mon Dec 05, 2005 23:39 +0000

I just finished reading the issue. Awesome! All we need now is for Noriko to team up with Inazuma and go after Tomoe and Usagi together...heheheh. Anyway, as far as Page 20 goes (by far the best page of the issue), I think it's safe to say that we're finally being treated to the long awaited Usagi/Tomoe romance phase of the series. As much as I'd like to say that Usagi and Tomoe "consumated" their relationship that night, one could also say that in her emotional duress over the whole Noriko situation, Tomoe probably just asked Usagi to keep her company, while completely letting her guard down. Of course, she wouldn't have done so unless she felt something well beyond friendship for Usagi. Her facial expression as she looks up at Usagi in panel 4 appears to confirm this. The look on Usagi's face in panel 5 was as priceless as it was intriguing...what was he thinking? In any case, perhaps we're not to know what transpired that night...or perhaps Stan should be the one to confirm or deny?

One question for Stan: the last page shows Usagi and Tomoe dueling. Is this the point where we lead into the UY Color Specials? I immediately pulled out UYCS #1 and noticed Tomoe wearing a similar kimono to what she's wearing there. She didn't have the head band on though, so maybe not...

And as for Motokazu/Tomoe...come on Steve!!!
Todd Shogun
Shogun

Postby Stan Sakai » Mon Dec 05, 2005 23:55 +0000

Todd Shogun wrote:
One question for Stan: the last page shows Usagi and Tomoe dueling. Is this the point where we lead into the UY Color Specials? I immediately pulled out UYCS #1 and noticed Tomoe wearing a similar kimono to what she's wearing there. She didn't have the head band on though, so maybe not...

Yes, the Color Special continues immediately where UY 89 ends. UY Book 21: The Mother of Mountains ends with 89, and UY Book 22: Tomoe's Story begins with the Color Special. It will be followed by CS #3, then CS #2, then UY #90-93.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby Inukai79 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 16:11 +0000

Great stuff by Stan.
Didn't expect Noriko to survive, but thats fine. Looks like another enemy just waiting to strike. I waited to read the whole story straight through, very enjoyable. I had almost forgotten about Motokazu being a vasal of Lord Noriyuki. But that is one of the great things about Usagi Yojimbo, characters come and go making it that much more special when they reappear.
Things need not have happened to be true. Stories and dreams are what will endure when mere facts are dust and forgotten.
Inukai79

Postby Todd Shogun » Tue Dec 06, 2005 21:19 +0000

Stan himself even confirms the Usagi/Tomoe thing over on the UY E-mail list:

"UY 89 hit the stand this week. We see a bit of Usagi and Tomoe's relationship maturing a bit. [In UY #92 "The Thief and the Lotus Scroll",] See Tomoe's reaction to meeting Kitsune and hearing that "Usagi is so modest, arent you, dear Usagi? We've shared MANY adventures--and OTHER THINGS--together." "

LOL...if that isn't revealing what Tomoe's true feelings are, then I don't know what is...
Todd Shogun
Shogun

Postby hakucho » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:57 +0000

Ho boy, that Kitsune! XD I personally see her with a certain stinky rhino...
"A ninja's duty in life is death!"
- Kashira Chizu

Check out the Usagi Yojimbo club at Deviant Art! :D

http://usagi-yojimbo-club.deviantart.com
hakucho

Postby Maka » Sat Dec 10, 2005 13:02 +0000

Inukai79 wrote:Great stuff by Stan.
Didn't expect Noriko to survive, but thats fine.

I just got my copy and read it.

Did she survive? I don't see the dream framing (bubble around the drawing) of the story before Tomoe wakes up, but UY says it's a dream. I think she is alive too, but it's not 100% clear to me.

Peace,

maka
Maka
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby estee » Sat Dec 10, 2005 14:08 +0000

Maka wrote:I just got my copy and read it.

Did she survive? I don't see the dream framing (bubble around the drawing) of the story before Tomoe wakes up, but UY says it's a dream. I think she is alive too, but it's not 100% clear to me.

Peace,

maka

That's why Stan is evil...cuz we don't know if she's alive...we all hope she isn't, but deep within our souls we just know she's still around. Hate as virulent as Noriko's doesn't fade that easily from the world.
estee

Postby hakucho » Sat Dec 10, 2005 15:27 +0000

estee wrote: Hate as virulent as Noriko's doesn't fade that easily from the world.

Especially if you've been hated all your life just for existing, unlike your legitimate half-sister...
"A ninja's duty in life is death!"
- Kashira Chizu

Check out the Usagi Yojimbo club at Deviant Art! :D

http://usagi-yojimbo-club.deviantart.com
hakucho

Postby Ben » Sat Dec 10, 2005 19:31 +0000

I have no evidence to support this, but I just have this premonition that Stan has something really twisted in store for Noriko & Tomoe. The end of #89 could indicate that the sisters are being drawn closer together in some bizarre, psychic way. Maybe they'll switch minds, or exchange bodies, through some supernatural means...now that would be an interesting story arc.
Ben

Chizu

Postby Tim » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:47 +0000

Am I the only one who doesn't really want Usagi to end up with Tomoe? I've always been partial to Chizu...just think she's a better fit. Anyway, I'm sure it's all about to hit the fan pretty soon, and I can't wait to see what Stan has planned! Usagi just keeps getting better.
Tim

Postby Ben » Wed Dec 21, 2005 19:57 +0000

Observations on Noriko:

Noriko initially appears to be the exact flipside of Tomoe in every way. But the sisters share many similarities that neither would ever admit to. Although she constantly mocks Tomoe's emotional vulnerability, Noriko succumbs to her own temper on multiple occasions. If Noriko had murdered Tomoe on the spot instead of indulging in her sadism, she would have won. (A fact even Noriko has to confess to herself in #89).

The sisters also seem to share a seething hatred for the cold, unforgiving rules & regulations of 17th century Japanese society, although Noriko's is definitely a little more intense. Tomoe visibly bristles during her exchange between Noriyuki & Horikawa at the beginning of #83, but for the sake of peace between the clans, she must apologize to Lord Horikawa (who also doesn't seem to be above making cracks about Tomoe's emotions). Noriko, on the other hand, openly defies the system, even to the point of dismissing the concept of honor entirely. (Check out the scene in #86 when Noriko calls Tomoe an idiot for expecting her to keep her word about releasing Usagi).

Noriko always seemed to be a hateful person, as Tomoe's flashbacks indicate. But was she really "born" evil? Even the brutal rejection Noriko suffered by her father doesn't give a strong enough motivation for her almost blind hatred - not only for Tomoe, but for everything. Like many other vicious people, simply being alive is excruciating for her. Her only joy lies in destroying the lives of others. Were there other experiences Noriko suffered to make her the monster she is today? Or is it something deeper? If Noriko's and Tomoe's lives were switched, would Tomoe have come out exactly like Noriko, and vice versa?

Who knows...
Ben

Postby Todd Shogun » Wed Dec 21, 2005 21:11 +0000

All I have to say is Noriko and Inazuma have to meet... it has to happen!!
Todd Shogun
Shogun

Next

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Main Forum