EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

TPBs vs. Comics - How do you prefer to read Usagi?

General discussion about Usagi Yojimbo, the comics, the stories, the characters, collectibles, TV appearances, Stan Sakai, Space Usagi, Nilson & Hermy, and all other related topics.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Which do you prefer to read?

comic books
32%
hardcover trade paperbacks
13%
softcover trade paperbacks
47%
other format
No votes
I don't really care
9%

Total votes : 47

Postby Pekass » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:08 +0000

ookami wrote:[(Sorry Mods, I really didn't mean to sound like I'm plugging this store, I swear I don't get anything out of this, but you have no idea how great it is to find such a friendly comic store here in Madrid, especially for a 'chica friki' like me :? . I'm also sorry for going OT. I'll try not to do it again. Just call me 'Baka Gaijin'.. :oops: )

No need to blame them, the owners/staff of the shop (the 7 of them, they are a group of friends) made this shop for freak people and the are the best I know, the shop has been open for 3 years now and we are all like a big family :D (owners and customers)
they get lots of great stuff, but some things they simply cant get them.

I think I'll leave you a PM =)

Better I'll add you to my msn =)
(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)Another one to the sect of the bunny.
Pekass
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby Thommo » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:12 +0000

One question: If there are around 10 comics annualy (240 pages), and TPB collects around 7 or 8 stories (around 180, 190 pages), that means that Trades are more and more behind. Any solutions?
Thommo

Postby Steve Hubbell » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:48 +0000

Usagi is released 9 times a year.

Issue #90 is just out from Dark Horse Comics, and the 10 year anniversary for Dark Horse Comics publishing Usagi is in April.

Counting the March issue, they will have published 91 issues in 10 years.

They might still be falling behind an issue or so each year in the reprint collections,especially when the odd story not published in the regular series is also added to a collection. (i.e. "Cooking Lesson" originally published in the Drawing the Line benefit book, or "A Lesson in Courtesy" originally published in Dark Horse Extra)

Abayo....
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby Kodiakc » Thu Feb 02, 2006 22:30 +0000

i get the comics as them come out then get the softcover ones so i can reread whole stories and not dig through books lol

support usagi! buy more!
Its not any fun, unless they bleed some...
Kodiakc

Postby starseed » Sat Feb 04, 2006 20:31 +0000

I've been reading Usagi since summer 2004.

I bought all the soft cover trades as an affordable and easy way to catch up on Usagi. My comic shop does not have all the back issues so with out the soft cover trades I would never have the complete story.

I definitely enjoy the soft cover trades as theres just so much more to read and you can really get a feel for an entire story arc as you read it all at once. I also like the story notes in the trades. Sometimes we get addtional info on Japanese history & culture or the origins of a certain character, event, object or tradition.

I have been buying the single monthly issues as they are released and I find with them...as another post said they are "short but sweet."

I'm not complaining tho, I'm just happy to follow the adventures of Usagi in whatever format there is! :)

Speaking of formats, Marvel has released a 40 years of spiderman CD ROM which contains all the issues since the 60's in digital format.

I wonder and this is a question for Stan, would you ever consider releasing Usagi in such a way?

Cheers!

P.S Great Poll by the way
"So keep your soul sharp and clear. Remember...a true samurai does not look for a fight...but tries to avoid it. The Best Souls are those which are kept in their scabbards."--Katsuichi sensei (Samurai pt II)
starseed

Postby Spot the Tokage » Wed May 10, 2006 14:19 +0000

What do I prefer?

I'd have to say the trades for 3 reasons:

1. No switching comics to read one arc

2. For some reason (I've got no idea why) the trades look really nice sitting on a shelf. :?

3. Easier to collect- simpler (and cheaper) to buy 19 volumes than 90-something comics

EEP!
Spot the Tokage

Postby Robweiller » Thu May 11, 2006 3:23 +0000

Softcover trade paperbacks. Nothing else is avalaible here but I still find them the most convenient for me.
Robweiller

Postby 4NT » Fri May 12, 2006 21:29 +0000

At one point I owned all of the hardbound copies. I ended up selling them on ebay about 3 years ago to help finance an engagement ring for my now wife (of two years) - I'm sure the topic is in the archives somewhere in here. :D

I have since gone back and purchased all of the Paperbacks (you're welcome Stan :wink: ) and find them to be more enjoyable. Seems like I spent more time maintaining the condition of the HB's than I did reading em. I have a son on the way and plan on sharing the stories of Usagi with him.
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.

-Buddha
4NT

Postby Nizzod » Mon May 15, 2006 10:38 +0000

[quote="Fanfan"] but here in France it is more simple anyway to find softcover rather than comic format... i don't even talk of Hard Cover ed, i hope i will get one one day... (perhaps the 20th ?)
quote]
Much like you Fanfan I find it very difficult to get the comics on a regular basis in the UK so normally have to settle for the software TPBs. Though have to say when I can lay my hands on a hardcover I happily splash the cash.

On that latter point I've posted a question on the Marketplace about sourcing these for delivery in the UK. If any could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.
Nizzod

Postby VENOM » Tue May 16, 2006 16:05 +0000

I love collecting every issue, I am a big fan of comic covers. However I do still buy all the soft cover trades and reread those rather then pull out the issues. I also have been trying to buy some of the HC autographed editions just to collect fo the auto and sketch.
VENOM

Re:

Postby lookatyouhacker » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:47 +0000

Ben wrote:I have the entire #83-89 story arc in comic form, simply because I can't get enough of Noriko. The second I saw her devilish grin on the cover of #86, I knew I had a serious crush. Sure, she'd probably kill me before she'd even look in my general direction, but I'm a fool in love...

I even took that grin on #86 and plastered it on a picture of Hazama from BlazBlue:

Restriction Number 666 Released! Dimensional Interference Field Deployed! Code SOL! BlazeBlue Activate!

lookatyouhacker

Previous

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Main Forum