EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Food Time - Japanese Style!

General discussion (non-Usagi Yojimbo related) about all things Japan -- Feudal Japan, Samurai, Ninjas, Anime & Manga, Chambara films, Japanese Pop Culture, Otaku, martial arts, history, sushi, giant robots, Godzilla... anything Japan-related!

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Food Time - Japanese Style!

Postby maichan » Sun Oct 25, 2015 13:24 +0000

[EDIT] - I changed the title and theme of this thread to include all types of Japanese foods, snacks and beverages. Please feel free to participate and share your favorite Japanese foods and drinks.

Do you like Japanese snacks?

I do!

There are so many different types of Japanese snacks, it's unbelievable! Many of them are available in strange or unusual flavors.

I thought I'd start a discussion where we can share our favorite Japanese snacks - from Jagariko to Kit-Kat to Senbei and everything in between. So share your traditional or modern favorites!

I'll start with this assortment. It arrived in the most recent care package from my sister-in-law who lives in Ise Japan.

Most of these are various potato snacks. One such snack group is called Jagariko and Jagabee, and looks like french fries. I think the difference between the two is Jagariko is like Pringles (processed potato), while Jagabee are actual cut potato sticks. The original Jagabee was limited to Hokaido, and was only in the original natural flavor, but is now sold throughout Japan and comes in assorted flavors. Jagariko has come in unusual and seasonal flavor for many years, and can be found in many Japanese markets here in the USA.

Here's a list of what's below, left to right (top to bottom)
Top row: Marukajiri Tomoriko (corn snack), Honey Butter Jagabee, Lemon & Black Pepper Jagabee, Edamariko
Middle row: My Veggie Onion, Jagariko Takoyaki, Jagariko Curry, My Veggie Carrot
Bottom row: Tomoriko Hokaido Sweetcorn, Jagariko Chicken Wing, Jagariko Hiroshima Okonomiyaki, Wasabi Senbei

I'll share more pictures and comments as I open and enjoy these. Any requests which one I should start with?
Last edited by maichan on Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:07 +0000, edited 2 times in total.
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Re: Snack Time - Japanese Style!

Postby Lobster Johnson » Sun Oct 25, 2015 15:38 +0000

Interesting topic! I know very little about Japanese snacks, but I look forward to learning more about them.
Lobster Johnson
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby jabba359 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 19:07 +0000

maichan wrote:Here's a list of what's below, left to right (top to bottom)
Top row: Marukajiri Tomoriko (corn snack), Honey Butter Jagabee, Lemon & Black Pepper Jagabee, Edamariko
Middle row: My Veggie Onion, Jagariko Takoyaki, Jagariko Curry, My Veggie Carrot
Bottom row: Tomoriko Hokaido Sweetcorn, Jagariko Chicken Wing, Jagariko Hiroshima Okonomiyaki, Wasabi Senbei

I'll share more pictures and comments as I open and enjoy these. Any requests which one I should start with?

The Jagariko Chicken Wing looks interesting. I love the giraffe mascot on the packaging.
-Kyle
jabba359
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby maichan » Sun Oct 25, 2015 22:23 +0000

The giraffe is the mascot for Jagariko and can be found on most of the packaging for Jagariko. I'll dig up some old photos I have save to show the package art and how the giraffe is incorporated into it in various ways.

Alright, Chicken Wings it is! Tōkai Chicken Wings to be specific!

Tasty! :D
Not overbearing, but there is a distinct flavor. Kind of meaty, but hard to place a finger on. A hint of pepper too.
My palate isn't that refined so I don't think I would have guessed chicken without knowing before hand, but since I knew what it was I could certainly agree with the flavor after eating several in a row.

The package. Our giraffe friend is saying "I can't stop."

The bag is opened and out comes the Jagariko!

Mmmm, don't they look good?!
Last edited by maichan on Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:08 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan

Postby Maka » Sun Oct 25, 2015 23:46 +0000

My favorite Japanese snacks:

1) Ginger sembei: Image
2) Dried cuttlefish (hot): Image
3) Coffee candy: Image

All these images are not mine. I copied them from the internet. Sorry about that.

Peace, maka
Maka

Postby Usagi-chan » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:23 +0000

Coffee Candy?! Where can you get this wonderful invention??? :shock:
Usagi-chan

Postby maichan » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:27 +0000

Thanks for joining in Maka!

I love Senbei, especially fresh senbei! But, I've never had ginger senbei... will have to try it one day.

Dried cuttlefish.... this is a very traditional snack. My wife loves dried squid. It's definitely an acquired taste, and one that I still have to pass on. :oops:

Coffee candy! Yes, and tea candy too!

Most of these can be found at any Japanese market. The problem is not everyone has a Japanese market nearby. Fortunately here in Southern California we have lot Asian communities, and many different markets to choose from. Korean market have similar treats, and the Vietnamese markets should have some too (as well as their own native treats).
Last edited by maichan on Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:09 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan

Postby Usagi-chan » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:49 +0000

It's possible that I will have to move to Japan so I can get coffee and tea candy....
Usagi-chan

Postby maichan » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:33 +0000

So, the good news is I finished sampling all the Jagariko pouches.

The bad news is, they all taste about the same. :lol:

Actually there were differences, but I recommend trying them if you have the chance. trying to describe the flavors just doesn't cut it...

From left to right - Curry flavored Jagariko, Takoyaki (Octopus) Jagariko , Hiroshima Okonomiyaki Jagariko.
Image Image Image

Curry flavored Jagariko
This did have a mild curry flavor. There are different types of curry, but if you ever had a Japanese curry dish, then this is a flavor you'll recognize.

Takoyaki (Octopus) Jagariko
It was hard to identify this by flavor alone, since it was missing the chewyness of cooked octopus. But the underlying flavor of sauce was there - takoyaki sauce is similar to okonomiyaki sauce, both of which are also known as variations of Japanese "Worcester" sauce.

Hiroshima Okonomiyaki Jagariko
The sauce flavor was much more pronounced in this Jagariko. Okonomiyaki is known as Japanese pancake. In Hiroshima, the ingredients are layered and include batter, cabbage, pork, noodels, and optional items such as squid, octopus, and cheese.

Overall, Jagariko is a fun snack. Flavors come and go, so there is always something new or different to try. These pouches also are nice because of the serving size - just enough for a small snack without over indulging.
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan

Re: Food Time - Japanese Style!

Postby Lobster Johnson » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:15 +0000

I'd like to try those sometime. They look like a very interesting snack.
Lobster Johnson

Postby maichan » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:25 +0000

Lobster Johnson wrote:I'd like to try those sometime. They look like a very interesting snack.

If you have a Japanese market near you, you can usually find three basic flavors available - Salad (my favorite), Cheddar cheese, and Butter flavor.
Otherwise, search for Jagariko online and you can find them for sale on Amazon and other online sources.

And visit the wonderful world of Jagariko. Explore the tabs and see all the flavors from the past! http://www.calbee.co.jp/jagarico/products/library.php
Last edited by maichan on Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:34 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan

Postby maichan » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:26 +0000

P.S. - I changed the title and theme of this thread to include all types of Japanese foods, snacks and beverages.
Please feel free to participate and share your favorite Japanese foods and drinks.
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan

Postby maichan » Sat Nov 14, 2015 21:38 +0000

Next is a snack many people might be familiar with, as it is sold in many supermarkets... POCKY!

It's popular enough here they even have an english website - http://www.pocky.com/
There is Chocolate, Strwbarry, and Matcha Green Tea, as well as Chocolate Banana, Cookies and Cream, and Milk Chocolate.

But in Japan there are even more flavors! Just take a look... http://www.pocky.jp/products/index.html

We had these three at home:

Rich Milk Chocolate, Kasane Matcha, and Almond Crush - all are delicious! Our favorite was the Rich Milk Chocolate. I also liked the Almond Crush. My wife liked the Kasane Matcha, until she tried the Milk Chocolate, then the Matcha dropped to 3rd place. :lol:

Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan

Postby Usagi-chan » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:27 +0000

I love Pocky! I've only had the chocolate and strawberry flavors, but I would like to try more. The Almond Crush looks excellent!
Usagi-chan

Postby jabba359 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 13:51 +0000

Growing up in a household with a father who had lived in Japan for a couple years, we always had a lot of Japanese culture in our home. We constantly hosted Japanese foreign exchange students, had Japanese art on the walls, had some fun Japanese toys (my favorite, the Kendama), and there was also the occasional Japanese cuisine. But one of my favorite things as a child was the Botan rice candy. I loved, and still love, how the rice "wrapper" melts away in my mouth.

-Kyle
jabba359

Next

Return to 日本の話題 - All Things Japan!