EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

New animated Usagi series?

A moderated forum where Stan Sakai and the UYD Shogunate regularly post UY-related news, comic con and signing info, Dojo contest info, and special announcements to UYD Members.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, digulla, Moderators

Re: New animated Usagi series?

Postby lookatyouhacker » Sun Jun 23, 2019 15:01 +0000

Angilasman wrote:I enjoyed that the TMNT Usagi episodes from a year or two ago used (I believe) all Japanese or Japanese American voice actors for characters in Usagi's world. I hoped this would be continued into an Usagi series.

Hey, as long as the voicework is good, I'm not picky.

Also, check this video out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10h0rEB ... jreload=10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbZUv_rSU7M
Restriction Number 666 Released! Dimensional Interference Field Deployed! Code SOL! BlazeBlue Activate!

lookatyouhacker
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby lookatyouhacker » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:57 +0000

This interview was back in 2018 with CBR with Stan Sakai talking about his then upcoming Usagi Yojimbo: The Hidden. Of course, all seven issues have already been released, and next month, will be in a single book. However, what really interested me in this interview is what Stan Sakai said about the upcoming Usagi Yojimbo cartoon.

I am quite optimistic in what I've seen, thus far. Gaumont certainly knows what they are doing and I have much confidence in their approach. We're still in the early stages. Last I heard they were narrowing down the writer, who they may have selected by now. I've also been told that the approach is a bit more expedient than typical, as there is much excitement surrounding the project.

Now, I was hoping if Stan could let us know what it was that he saw that gave him hope for how this project is going to turn out. Of course, I think it would be great if someone working at Gaumont were a user on this site. There are plenty of things about that cartoon that I want to know. Mostly, is the cartoon going to follow the comics in much the way a lot of anime based on manga follow their printed source materials or will it be a separate continuity? I'm kind of hoping for the former, though.
Restriction Number 666 Released! Dimensional Interference Field Deployed! Code SOL! BlazeBlue Activate!

lookatyouhacker

Postby lookatyouhacker » Tue Jul 16, 2019 19:57 +0000

I took a quick look at Stan Sakai's twitter account. On it, he said this:

Stan Sakai wrote:We had another meeting with Gaumont last week and we are delighted and could not be happier or more enthused as to how the project is developing!

lookatyouhacker

Postby Angilasman » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:01 +0000

I don't know whether that image is a placeholder or something close to the final design, but either way - I LOVE IT!
Angilasman

Postby Casey Burns » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:16 +0000

I really like what I can see of the character design. Looking forward to seeing this come to life.
Casey Burns Creative
http://caseyburnscreative.com
Casey Burns

Postby maichan » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:23 +0000

This new bit of a teaser is making things exciting.

Before Stan signed up with Gaumont, I knew noting about them, so I did a search and came up with this interesting information:

ABOUT GAUMONT
Formed in 1895, Gaumont is the first and oldest film company in the world, with offices in Paris, Los Angeles, Buenos Aires, Cologne, London, and Sydney. In the past few years, the company’s release schedule has continued to increase across film and television production, in both the French and English languages.

The film library now encompasses over 1100 titles including films from such prestigious directors as Luc Besson, Matthieu Kassovitz, Francis Veber, Jean Jacques Beineix, Federico Fellini, Maurice Pialat and Jean-Luc Godard, and more recently Toledano and Nakache for The Untouchables, the highest grossing French language movie ever with over $450 million in revenue to date.

Gaumont produces and distributes high-quality TV programming worldwide. Key drama series include the award-winning Narcos for Netflix; the critically acclaimed Hannibal, the winner of “Best Series” (Festival of Fiction TV), The Frozen Dead and The Art of Crime, amongst many others.

The animated catalog comprises over 800 half-hours, broadcast in over 130 countries. Current productions include Noddy (season two) co-produced with Dreamworks, Trulli Tales, Belle & Sebastian, Furiki Wheels, and F is For Family (season four) for Netflix. In development is the series Do, Re & Mi with the multi-talented Kristen Bell.

I'm just guessing, but I would think that photo above is from the Los Angeles office location.
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby lookatyouhacker » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:48 +0000

That's pretty likely given that Stan's next comic-con visit is the San Diego Comic Con.

lookatyouhacker

Postby Ben » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:27 +0000

Mayhem wrote:Utterly great news... hopefully no counting of chickens, and it actually happens... a little disappointed the targetted age range is 6-11, but hopefully it's still "mature" enough in themes (and I don't mean violence here) to appeal to adults too.

I'm hoping for something along the lines of "Batman: The Animated Series." Not so much in style, but in terms of presenting mature themes in a supposedly kid-friendly format.
Ben

Postby lookatyouhacker » Mon Aug 26, 2019 16:16 +0000

Well, I think we might get exactly that. Plus, eshbaal also pointed out Avatar: The Last Airbender, original Samurai Jack and the 2012 TMNT, and he did a review of Extreme Ghostbusters. All of them kids shows that weren't squemish about tackling mature themes. Also, there's Batman Beyond.

Also, welcome back, Ben. It's been two years since your last post. How do you like my avatar? Does it remind you of yours?

lookatyouhacker

Postby lookatyouhacker » Thu Sep 12, 2019 17:45 +0000

One thing about the new cartoon series that I would want to know right away is this: Will it have a separate continuity from the comics, or will it follow the comics like a lot of anime based on manga tend to do?

lookatyouhacker

Previous

Return to Dojo News