EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

HeroesCon 2019!

General discussion about Usagi Yojimbo, the comics, the stories, the characters, collectibles, TV appearances, Stan Sakai, Space Usagi, Nilson & Hermy, and all other related topics.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

HeroesCon 2019!

Postby nicholasdoyle » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:05 +0000

Hey everybody! It's been about a week since HeroesCon, and I'm finally rested enough to post a wrap-up/show off some of the cool things I was able to pick up! First off, it was great to finally meet Stan! Both his and Sergio's lines were insane all weekend - they were definitely the "stars" of the convention this year. Their Usagi/Groo jam drawing was featured on the cover of the program, the 3-day badges, and on two different t-shirts (one yellow, one light gray). Speaking of the shirts - they had basically sold out of all of the sizes by the second day of the convention, which I've never seen happen before - usually, you're able to pick up leftover shirts at the store for months (sometimes years) after the convention.
I was lucky enough to be able to pre-order a comission, and it ended up looking even better than I imagined:

Commission.jpg
Commission.jpg (119.01 KiB) Viewed 359 times

BUT, when I saw that Stan was also going to have sketch covers available, I couldn't resist the chance to pick one up:

SketchCover.jpg
SketchCover.jpg (109.1 KiB) Viewed 359 times

Finally, I have been bringing a Groo themed sketchbook to conventions for the past few years, and I know that Stan generally doesn't do non-Usagi drawings, but I figured there was no harm in asking...which resulted in one of the best drawings in my sketchbook:

StanGroo.jpg
StanGroo.jpg (74.64 KiB) Viewed 359 times

I've got some more to add, but it looks like the attachment limit is 3 images, so I'm going to post a reply to this in a second with the rest...
nicholasdoyle
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Re: HeroesCon 2019!

Postby nicholasdoyle » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:20 +0000

Ok, I'm back! The other highlight of the convention was that I was able to (re)meet Sergio (I met him at Baltimore Comic-Con back in 2007 - I flew up for one day because he so rarely does conventions on the east coast)! Because of a twist of fate (or, really, that the Moleskine sketchbook I have is kind of wonky) the first page of the book has remained blank, so I was able to get Sergio to draw the "first" Groo in my book:

SergioGroo.jpg
SergioGroo.jpg (78.04 KiB) Viewed 357 times

The day before, I'd had an idea to ask him to do a drawing in the style of the cover of Sergio Aragones Funnies #1 (with a curtain, "welcoming" people to my sketchbook) - but I decided against bugging him about it. Imagine my surprise when he did that exact thing, even using his Swiss Army knife to cut out part of the curtain (you can see the part of the second sketch, by Chip Zdarsky, in the corner)!

Stan and Sergio couldn't have been nicer, and the rest of the convention was awesome, as usual - if you've never been, I *highly* recommend that you try to make the trip to Charlotte one year. The show is comic focused (no movies, no cartoons, no TV) and it's the perfect show for people that love comics and meeting the people that make them.

StanNick.jpg
StanNick.jpg (137.92 KiB) Viewed 357 times

SergioNick.jpg
SergioNick.jpg (132.43 KiB) Viewed 357 times
Last edited by nicholasdoyle on Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:18 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
nicholasdoyle

Postby maichan » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:28 +0000

NICE!! It looks like you had a great time at the show, and got some great artwork by two great guys! I really like the commision you got from Stan, and those two sketchbook sketches are funny!

Thanks also for getting T-shirts for those of us that asked!

Maybe you could start up a new thread to show us what else in in that sketchbook? :wink:
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby Maka » Fri Jun 21, 2019 16:33 +0000

Those are awesome sketches!!! It’s also fun to see one of the sketches Stan has done on the blanks. And great pictures with Stan and Sergio. Glad it was a great con for you. Sounds wonderful! I don’t know if I’ll every make it out there for Heroescon but I put it on my buckets lists. :). Thanks for sharing your experience with us! Peace, maka
Maka
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby maichan » Mon Jun 24, 2019 14:56 +0000

I received a package full of goodies from Nick today...... Thank you Nick!!!

Image2019-06-24_02-53-03 by Michael Foertsch, on Flickr
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan

Postby jabba359 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 19:16 +0000

That's a nice kind of package to get in the mail!
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby Maka » Mon Jun 24, 2019 19:55 +0000

You scored, Michael! Such nice people here at the dojo. Congratulations! Peace, maka
Maka

Postby Gaffey » Wed Jun 26, 2019 13:08 +0000

I love that Sergio cut the corner of your art. That is so cool. Matt Kindt did something similar to a book I purchased from him but he used a lighter to burn the corner of the page.

Funny story (sort of). When I asked Sergio if he'd draw a Chewbacca head sketch for me he said that I couldn't afford it and proceeded to sign the books that I had brought. He wasn't rude or anything, I just found that response to be a bit odd. :lol:

Where did you get the little advertisement card? I never saw those.
Gaffey

Postby Trevis Woods » Wed Jun 26, 2019 13:12 +0000

This is a great post!
Love the behind the scenes pics, merchandise and stories from the convention.
Love the commision and love Stan's Groo sketch!
Trevis Woods

Postby Steve Hubbell » Wed Jun 26, 2019 14:59 +0000

Hey Nicholas,
Just a quick note to say that your package arrived and everything looks awesome! Those pictures of the t-shirts look really cool, but my budget was not up to it currently, and the art on the program and the sticker more than makes up for it. And I love the little promo Usagi card, very happy that they were available. Thanks again.

Abayo, Steve

(I'll post some photos of today's goodies later)
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby lookatyouhacker » Wed Jun 26, 2019 19:03 +0000

Well, I hope Stan Sakai tells us how much he enjoyed the Heroes Con 2019 this month.
Restriction Number 666 Released! Dimensional Interference Field Deployed! Code SOL! BlazeBlue Activate!

lookatyouhacker

Postby Gaffey » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:35 +0000

Steve Hubbell wrote:Hey Nicholas,
Just a quick note to say that your package arrived and everything looks awesome! Those pictures of the t-shirts look really cool, but my budget was not up to it currently, and the art on the program and the sticker more than makes up for it. And I love the little promo Usagi card, very happy that they were available. Thanks again.

Abayo, Steve

(I'll post some photos of today's goodies later)
I have an extra XL grey Heroes Con shirt if you're interested.Image
Gaffey

Postby nicholasdoyle » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:56 +0000

Gaffey wrote:I love that Sergio cut the corner of your art. That is so cool. Matt Kindt did something similar to a book I purchased from him but he used a lighter to burn the corner of the page.

Funny story (sort of). When I asked Sergio if he'd draw a Chewbacca head sketch for me he said that I couldn't afford it and proceeded to sign the books that I had brought. He wasn't rude or anything, I just found that response to be a bit odd. :lol:

Where did you get the little advertisement card? I never saw those.

Yeah, I think he's pretty adamant about only drawing his own characters (although my friend was able to get a Spider-Man drawing from him - maybe Chewbacca required too much reference?) Keith Giffen had sign at his table with his various sketch prices, and he had a line that said "Rocket Raccoon - $500 - Keith's only drawn him once and wants to keep it that way!" which I thought was pretty funny.

The HeroesCon cards were on the big table of free stuff near where you picked up your passes; I grabbed a handful to include with the programs I was sending out.
nicholasdoyle

Postby Gaffey » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:08 +0000

nicholasdoyle wrote:The HeroesCon cards were on the big table of free stuff near where you picked up your passes; I grabbed a handful to include with the programs I was sending out.
I didn't know there was a big table of free stuff! :(
Gaffey

Postby Paul Montani » Fri Jun 28, 2019 13:33 +0000

On the topic of Sergio and Stan drawing other people's characters - I was lucky enough to get both gentlemen to draw Casey Jones a few years ago.

Paul Montani

Next

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Main Forum