EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

The (Still Improving) Artwork of Randy Clute

Off topic forum! Feel free to discuss anything non-Usagi related or that doesn't fit within the parameters of the General Discussion forums. Gotta talk about the latest Sci-Fi flick? Need help with your homework? Want to post an announcement of a personal nature? Then here's where you do it!

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Re: The (Still Improving) Artwork of Randy Clute

Postby Eltanin » Sun May 28, 2017 0:27 +0000

I can see the progress in your drawings. I'm actually impressed by how fast you're growing as an artist.
Please keep sharing your art with us.
Eltanin
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby Randy Clute » Thu Apr 19, 2018 13:32 +0000

Hey everyone!

It has been a long time I have posted anything on the dojo, but with summer approaching I should be able to get back online more regurlarly. Anyway, until then I have started an instagram account (@randyclute) that I post art on if anyone wants to see what I am drawing these days.

Regardless, I just thought I should post something to let everyone know I haven't forgotten you and your support!
Have a blessed day,
Randy Clute
Randy Clute

Postby jabba359 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 14:45 +0000

Randy Clute wrote:Hey everyone!

It has been a long time I have posted anything on the dojo, but with summer approaching I should be able to get back online more regurlarly. Anyway, until then I have started an instagram account (@randyclute) that I post art on if anyone wants to see what I am drawing these days.

Regardless, I just thought I should post something to let everyone know I haven't forgotten you and your support!

Welcome back! I was updating my original art online album yesterday and was glancing through the stuff I got from you and was wondering what you were up to.
-Kyle
jabba359
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby Randy Clute! » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:13 +0000

Hello all!

It's been a while since I have posted on the dojo so I figured I would let y'all know what I've been up to! First things first, I had to make a new account because I was having trouble with the first one, which is part of my long absence. The other thing I wanted to make sure to address is a big thank you to everyone who read my anniversary feature in the anthology the Dojo put out. As some of you know, it was a reworking of a story I made for one of the contests I entered on this site. I read and appreciated the kind words about it from all of you! Around the same time I drew that I was working on my longest comic yet: a manga one-shot for a Shonen Jump contest. I didn't win, but I figured some of you might enjoy reading it. I learned a lot over the course of it, and the stories I have written since then have improved a lot. Finally, I hope you will look forward to my in-progress projects over these next couple of years, as I aim towards my goal of becoming a professional cartoonist. Here is the manga link: https://medibang.com/book/7g19092406243 ... 42/?cp=002

It's good to be back!

Randy Clute!
Randy Clute!

Postby jabba359 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:37 +0000

Welcome back! I find your new user name slightly more exciting than your old one. :lol:

I'll certainly give your manga a read.
-Kyle
jabba359
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby Steve Hubbell » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:45 +0000

Welcome back Randy Clute!

Any relation to Scott Shaw!
:roll:
:D
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby Randy Clute! » Thu Feb 06, 2020 13:39 +0000

Haha I actually started concluding emails and stuff with the "!" a while back so I'm glad you both find it fun as well. As for whether or not I inherited it from Scott Shaw!, well, I leave that up to you... ;)
Randy Clute!

Postby maichan » Fri Feb 07, 2020 22:05 +0000

Welcome Back! :D :lol:
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby TankPolice96 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 15:09 +0000

You're a real talent and you're Groo work is spectacular. You could be Sergio's successor :p On a professional's scale you're 7-8/10. Tiny flaws here and there that you can easily fix and get used to noticing by yourself. You're definitely not at the "I'm a beginner/intermediate and still learning phase". I think you're at the " couple of weeks and I can go pro if I don't just start already" phase

Note: I don't draw or color, but I've got an eye for this stuff.
Some pointers:

For the manga: the eyes are too big. I know it's a cliche that anime eyes are big, but that's Tezuka being inspired by old Disney films and manga hasn't had eyes bulging out like that since the 60s. It feels like an American drawing anime. I've got an eye for this stuff because a lot of the books that teach you manga are made by Americans who don't draw manga that well or just don't get it, but want to profit off the booming market.

For the Dredd one: It looks amazing. The skill is there. I thought it was a professionally done one, But it's too cluttered and I'm not exactly sure what's happening other than Dredd is drowning.

Sometimes the proportions are off. The characters look good and similar, but they look off:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-umMm ... NPMHc/view Here it's the neck. With the Usagi images in general, the proportions are never right. I think it might be the clothe Usagi has on since in your drawings it usually makes it look like he has bony arms.

I think this is Iron Fist. He looks great. But his proportions don't make much sense. It's a miracle that his waist can hold up his shoulders, arms, and massive barrel chest. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-umMm ... pyY0k/view
"If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it."
TankPolice96

Postby Randy Clute! » Fri Feb 21, 2020 13:08 +0000

TankPolice96 wrote:You're a real talent and you're Groo work is spectacular. You could be Sergio's successor :p On a professional's scale you're 7-8/10. Tiny flaws here and there that you can easily fix and get used to noticing by yourself. You're definitely not at the "I'm a beginner/intermediate and still learning phase". I think you're at the " couple of weeks and I can go pro if I don't just start already" phase

Note: I don't draw or color, but I've got an eye for this stuff.
Some pointers:

For the manga: the eyes are too big. I know it's a cliche that anime eyes are big, but that's Tezuka being inspired by old Disney films and manga hasn't had eyes bulging out like that since the 60s. It feels like an American drawing anime. I've got an eye for this stuff because a lot of the books that teach you manga are made by Americans who don't draw manga that well or just don't get it, but want to profit off the booming market.

For the Dredd one: It looks amazing. The skill is there. I thought it was a professionally done one, But it's too cluttered and I'm not exactly sure what's happening other than Dredd is drowning.

Sometimes the proportions are off. The characters look good and similar, but they look off:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-umMm ... NPMHc/view Here it's the neck. With the Usagi images in general, the proportions are never right. I think it might be the clothe Usagi has on since in your drawings it usually makes it look like he has bony arms.

I think this is Iron Fist. He looks great. But his proportions don't make much sense. It's a miracle that his waist can hold up his shoulders, arms, and massive barrel chest. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-umMm ... pyY0k/view

Wow! Thank you so much for the in-depth reply! A lot of those drawings are a bit older, so I have worked out some of those issues (primarily anatomically, though who isn't still working that out). That being said, a lot of the stuff is still relevant and does still help! Again, I really do appreciate the fact that you not only looked at my stuff, but took the time to help me out. I've been working on my manga style a lot, and the eyes were one of the issues I am working on, so your advice helps. I am a big fan of Astro Boy and have been since I was younger, so it is not surprising some of my stuff veers a little too far that way. I think it's getting better in my newer stuff, which I will hopefully be able to share before too long. I also really appreciate the notion of me taking over Groo. Hopefully either Sergio Aragones or Mark Evanier peruses this forum and will agree :). Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to look at my stuff, it truly does mean something to me!
Randy Clute!

Previous

Return to Ronin Ramblings